RE: White particle or debris in Tank during cycling

Hi All.. I'm very new to this hobby. Bought an Ocean 34L nano tank and doing the cycling now...close to around 2 weeks plus..

But realise there's some white small particle in the tank especially when the LED is turn on.. Not living organism.. I'm not sure where they came from but I suspect the filter is dirty. I saw in some article mention about cleaning filter will affect the good bacteria that's formed in the filter. In such case, how can I clean the filter to get rid of those particle ?

bro, did the white small particles only appear after two weeks of cycling?

For cleaning of filter, the best way to do it is to clean only a portion of it, say 1/2 this week, and 1/2 another week if your system is solely dependent on that one filter. The best way to ensure a steady amount of bacteria is to use sufficient live rocks, sand, bacteria housing. If you use any of these, u can easily wash out your whole filter with less concern about bacteria established on filter pads.

I Love Stagsss

Thanks bro for replying..

yes...the white particles only appear after two weeks...

some of these white particles are some sort of organism populated on the glass...more and more which i suppose it is good ?

but whereas the rest...look more like dust or some other stuff..not sure what's that

how to get crystal clear water ? Must I add some other filtration to the existing ?

I do have live rocks and live sand in the tank.. in that case, I can wash the filter without much concern on the bacteria establish on the filter pad ? Washing of filer must be done using RO/DI water ?

• SRC Member

If it is powder from your bio-rings or similar. Then just take them out and rinse it with tank water.

If it is copepods, then they are good.

If it is micro-bubbles, then you need to check your pump n pipings.

Hope it's one of these 3, good luck.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...