Alternative way to keep pace with calcium and carbonate demand

• SRC Member

Hi fellow reefers,

I need some advice here. I am currently using 2 part dosing to maintain the level of calcium and carbonate in my tank (5x2.5x1.5ft dimension).

I am using Seachem reef builder powder, advantage calcium and magnesium.

The coral growth is so crazy recently up to the point where I cannot keep up with the level of carbonate especially without affecting the salinity. The growth is just crazy that every day or few days there is noticeable growth of various colony. I need to dose about 3.5litre of diluted carbonate powder every day. Seachem reef builder has the limitation of 1 litre water for max of about 10g (2 tea spoon), it won't dissolve properly beyond that.

Other than calcium reactor, is there better 2 part dosing brand that provide higher carbonate than Seachem reef builder?

I have not install calcium reactor due to space constraint. The 2 part dosing I find it good for topping up evaporated water at the same time.

Thanks bros in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Some reefers in RC use kalk and 2 part dosing. They max out the daily maximum effectiveness of kalk (based on daily evaporation )then top it off with 2 parts. you may want to read up on kalk dosing with 2 parts. hope it helps.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• SRC Member

Whats yoUr daily consumotion of kh and cal???

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

| Display : 48x30x22 Skimmer : SK-201 skimz

| Sump : 30x24x18 Wavemaker : 2x RW-15 , 1x RW-8

| Cooling : 1HP titanium drop in coil ATO : JBJ

| Lighting : ATI Sunpower 8x54w + 48x cree xte royal blue Return : Jebao dc-6000

| Dosing : Jebao dosing pump [ CaCl2 + NaHCO3 ] Pump :

| Reactor : FSZ Z160 zeolite reactor & phosban 150

| System : ZEOVIT

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

:wub: >><< :wub:

• SRC Member

Thanks, bros for the suggestion. Let me do some read up on kalk. The KH consumption is about 2dkh per day. For my overall water volume, it works out to be around 0.75meq/l per day (approx. 550meq) and this is barely enough in keeping the dKh around 6 to 7. As for calcium, per day it works out to be around 7.5g per day (4 teaspoon / 20g of Seachem advantage calcium per day). Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great problem to have re quicker SPS coral growth.

A calcium reactor is the only remedy to sustain your current SPS coral growth rate. However, you can combine both the calcium reactor with your current dosing regime. Hence, you could use a smaller calcium reactor model and locate it outside your tank cabinet.