Need Advice - Ammonia smell in DI water

Dear Bros,

i prepare my water for the weekly change using FM marine salt and DI water. Recently, there is an ammonia smell in the water which I prepared.

Does any of you experience this as well?

Would appreciate any advice. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I prepare the salt and water mix and use it .on the same day. I use powerhead to churn the water for about 4 hrs before using it. The resin was changed only about one month ago. I sort of narrow down to the powerhead causing the smell but not 100% sure.

I prepare the salt and water mix and use it .on the same day. I use powerhead to churn the water for about 4 hrs before using it. The resin was changed only about one month ago. I sort of narrow down to the powerhead causing the smell but not 100% sure.

Bro.. I think the smell came from the water that was stored in the DI unit itself after you shut the incoming and outgoing valve of the unit for a period of time.

How I found out, when every time I use the DI unit, first few min nothing happen but after awhile the smell starts to come. It took about 10 to 15 min for the smell to clear, depending on your flow. After that no smell all. Checked the TDS, both the same with or without the smell.

I believe when there is no water flow in the DI unit, that's where the gas smell developed. Not sure if it the mixture of tap water with resin or carbon reaction that causes the smell. Or it could be both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bro.. I think the smell came from the water that was stored in the DI unit itself after you shut the incoming and outgoing valve of the unit for a period of time.

How I found out, when every time I use the DI unit, first few min nothing happen but after awhile the smell starts to come. It took about 10 to 15 min for the smell to clear, depending on your flow. After that no smell all. Checked the TDS, both the same with or without the smell.

I believe when there is no water flow in the DI unit, that's where the gas smell developed. Not sure if it the mixture of tap water with resin or carbon reaction that causes the smell. Or it could be both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk