Skunk Shrimp giving birth in my tank

Reefer80

Was about to go to bed last night and went to take a final look at my tank, then i saw massive very tiny little swimming creatures on the glass and swimming all around. Thought it was pods or something else, then upon taking a closer look, Its the babies of my cleaner shrimp giving birth! Sadly think none survive as my fishes are so happily eating away as supper for them. Anyone encounter this before? :whistle

• SRC Member
Was about to go to bed last night and went to take a final look at my tank, then i saw massive very tiny little swimming creatures on the glass and swimming all around. Thought it was pods or something else, then upon taking a closer look, Its the babies of my cleaner shrimp giving birth! Sadly think none survive as my fishes are so happily eating away as supper for them. Anyone encounter this before? :whistle

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

never try to net them up and put in a tank to rear?

The fishes are too fast, the moment they saw it, they are like super excited for supper. I have also read up on the internet that its not possible to rear them in captivity.

• SRC Member

The fishes are too fast, the moment they saw it, they are like super excited for supper. I have also read up on the internet that its not possible to rear them in captivity.

who knows u can be the 1st ...

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

Happened to come across successful breeding in fishlore.com. You might want to check it out.

Prepare your equipment and keep a lookout for next breeding.

I am looking for a couple to add to my tank.

1.5' Cube | Overflow Box | 1' Sump with filter sock and 3L bacteria king | Eheim 1000 return pump | BM 3.5 | Sunsun JVP-110 wavemaker | Full spectrum Par38

Had the same experience. In my tank not only the fishes enjoy the sudden abundant of food but the mother of the babies skunk shrimp itself was eating away as fast as the fish can eat them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happened to come across successful breeding in fishlore.com. You might want to check it out.

Prepare your equipment and keep a lookout for next breeding.

I am looking for a couple to add to my tank.

Thanks for the info bro!. If i do manage to get it the next round and breed it successfully, shall give you for free and anyone who wants it! :yahoo:

• Like 1

Had the same experience. In my tank not only the fishes enjoy the sudden abundant of food but the mother of the babies skunk shrimp itself was eating away as fast as the fish can eat them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally agree with you bro. Machiam like humans going eat Japanese food ordering fish roe...lol

Thanks for the info bro!. If i do manage to get it the next round and breed it successfully, shall give you for free and anyone who wants it! :yahoo:

Thanks for the kind gesture. I am going to the farm to get this weekend.

All the best for the shrimp breeding.

1.5' Cube | Overflow Box | 1' Sump with filter sock and 3L bacteria king | Eheim 1000 return pump | BM 3.5 | Sunsun JVP-110 wavemaker | Full spectrum Par38