My first FOWLR

yq33

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys, can anyone tell me more about emperor angel, it's difficulty level and what to look out for. Nt sure if it's suitable for me! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think for angelfish, water quailty is very very important. Used to keep an emperor angelfish 3 years ago when i just started my first ever tank. Didn't read up much and added a emperor angelfish in, after a few days, its colour started to fade and in the end it died. So yeah, i suggest to read up more about angelfish and let your water be more matured by then its safe to add a emperor angelfish. Just my personal experience and opinion.

Sharkssssss.

It should be okay. Tangs and Angels leave each other alone.

I think for angelfish, water quailty is very very important. Used to keep an emperor angelfish 3 years ago when i just started my first ever tank. Didn't read up much and added a emperor angelfish in, after a few days, its colour started to fade and in the end it died. So yeah, i suggest to read up more about angelfish and let your water be more matured by then its safe to add a emperor angelfish. Just my personal experience and opinion.

I always thought that tangs should be the last addition to any tanks, but thanks for clearing them up!

Yea obito will read surely read up first!

Btw what size is a good purchase size? My QT is only 1ft x1ft x1.5ft tho..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

How long u gona keep fishes in the quarantine tank? If u dont intend to keep them in QT for min 4 weeks, might as well dont run the QT and waste money/time/electricity/nagging by parents. Dont get me wrong but im trying to save u the effort in running the QT esp u mentioned ur parents not so happy about it.

Its not a good advice on my part since QT is necessary but having a half baked QT routine is worse than having none since :

1)QT water quality fluctuates quickly if not maintained

2)Fish end up being more stressed due to this

3)they dont eat, u try feeding them more which without due care, u go back to (1)

4)if fish bulletproof, never die by (3), the fish eating well, ur parents will start taking an interest in ur fish and instead now nag that its so sad the fish in the small QT thus u move it to main tank before min. 4 weeks, u just wasted all ur effort since that fish can still carry parasites to your main tank.

5) if u really do 4 weeks, means for 4 weeks cannot go lfs liao. Go confirm itchy especially its a new tank, come back home with new fish. The moment u put the fish in QT, clock restart. End up about 5-7 weeks no fish in main tank.

6) to solve (5) u consider buying many fish at one go. But QT small, either cannot fit or water in QT goes back to (1).

6) sooner or later, the QT will be dismantled.

Personal experience and that's why now my main tank is my QT, my hospital tank, my only tank.

With regards to the emperor, I would say easy bordering on medium. Impt thing with emperor is the bigger it is, the more time u need to let it settle down. Once u see patches on its body, means ur water something wrong. This one my master teach me.

HTH

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

• SRC Member

What bombom says is true... For my current new fishes, all goes into the hyposalinity QT for minimum 4 weeks... Takes 3 days to raise up the salinity to 1.018 before I use drop method for acclimatisation... So total about 5 weeks... Wife is pretty happy with that cos I can only buy one fish per month...

How long u gona keep fishes in the quarantine tank? If u dont intend to keep them in QT for min 4 weeks, might as well dont run the QT and waste money/time/electricity/nagging by parents. Dont get me wrong but im trying to save u the effort in running the QT esp u mentioned ur parents not so happy about it.

Its not a good advice on my part since QT is necessary but having a half baked QT routine is worse than having none since :

1)QT water quality fluctuates quickly if not maintained

2)Fish end up being more stressed due to this

3)they dont eat, u try feeding them more which without due care, u go back to (1)

4)if fish bulletproof, never die by (3), the fish eating well, ur parents will start taking an interest in ur fish and instead now nag that its so sad the fish in the small QT thus u move it to main tank before min. 4 weeks, u just wasted all ur effort since that fish can still carry parasites to your main tank.

5) if u really do 4 weeks, means for 4 weeks cannot go lfs liao. Go confirm itchy especially its a new tank, come back home with new fish. The moment u put the fish in QT, clock restart. End up about 5-7 weeks no fish in main tank.

6) to solve (5) u consider buying many fish at one go. But QT small, either cannot fit or water in QT goes back to (1).

6) sooner or later, the QT will be dismantled.

Personal experience and that's why now my main tank is my QT, my hospital tank, my only tank.

With regards to the emperor, I would say easy bordering on medium. Impt thing with emperor is the bigger it is, the more time u need to let it settle down. Once u see patches on its body, means ur water something wrong. This one my master teach me.

HTH

Hmm yea noticed what you said quite true. Think I shall just add them to main tank and just dose whatever medication if needed! Thanks btw!

Forgot to mention that if you're adding medication into your main tank, your skimmer will go crazy... Until you change water, your skimmer will continually skim water and not skimmate.

Oh, so I off my skimmer if I wanna dose? Anyway to go about this problem. Also can macro algae grow when there's medication

Eg copper

• SRC Member

Important : once u dose copper, u can never keep anything else except fish. Nothing else will survive. Its a route of no return.

Dose copper = FOWLR forever. Even if u use carbon, water change until ur back break, so as long as u use the same rocks, there will always be a small amount of copper that will harm inverts like corals/shrimps/snails even if ur copper test kit shows 0.

So to answer ur question, macro algae will most likely die. Pls consider carefully before dosing anythin into main tank.

Usually ppl will dose copper(Cupramine) and prazi. Prazi is the one that will make ur skimmer go crazy. But Prazi is okay to dose when u have corals. Only those tubeworms/featherduster may or may not die.

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

Important : once u dose copper, u can never keep anything else except fish. Nothing else will survive. Its a route of no return.

Dose copper = FOWLR forever. Even if u use carbon, water change until ur back break, so as long as u use the same rocks, there will always be a small amount of copper that will harm inverts like corals/shrimps/snails even if ur copper test kit shows 0.

So to answer ur question, macro algae will most likely die. Pls consider carefully before dosing anythin into main tank.

Usually ppl will dose copper(Cupramine) and prazi. Prazi is the one that will make ur skimmer go crazy. But Prazi is okay to dose when u have corals. Only those tubeworms/featherduster may or may not die.

Oh okay, will copper get absorbed by sand?

• SRC Member

Seachem, the producer of cupramine says no. Wont be absorbed by sand or silicone.

Seachem, the producer of cupramine says no. Wont be absorbed by sand or silicone.

Oh alright, but I guess I should just stay out of inverts if unless I remove everything. But for now I will just fowlr.

• SRC Member

i have seen people who dose copper main tank and manage to keep lps after removing copper for a long period of time (you can check from reefcentral ). And from personal experience i have kept cleaner shrimps in a copper tank before.

i have seen people who dose copper main tank and manage to keep lps after removing copper for a long period of time (you can check from reefcentral ). And from personal experience i have kept cleaner shrimps in a copper tank before.

Ohh that's nice, but haha I'm still a fish person for now, especially since I'm on tight budget + next year going ns doubt will have much time for corals.

Hi all, some questions for feeding fish, can I check what do I have to feed my fishes to ensure they are healthy?

I currently only have

1) frozen mysis

2) frozen brine

3) frozen bloodworms

Current fish stock

1) clown fish pair

2) saddle back butterfly

Intending to get some tangs afterwards

Try rotating as many diff types of food as possible pallets flake frozen food. Best if those with garlic types.

Feed a mixture of different pellets with vitamin soak

Oh alright, can suggest what brand is good?

Btw I have this tetrabits complete I used for my discus, is it suitable for marine too? post-23682-14104871831799_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member

Oh alright, can suggest what brand is good?

Btw I have this tetrabits complete I used for my discus, is it suitable for marine too? attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410487179.860064.jpg

I dont see any marine fish picture on your bottle, so i think best not to feed.

For pallets, i personally use ocean nutrition formula one and two, doctor cannot remember what garlic pallet, first bite reef pallets... and i mix all these into an air tight container so everytime i feed/ auto feeder there are some floating pallets some sinking pallets some slow sinking pallets...

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

I dont see any marine fish picture on your bottle, so i think best not to feed.

For pallets, i personally use ocean nutrition formula one and two, doctor cannot remember what garlic pallet, first bite reef pallets... and i mix all these into an air tight container so everytime i feed/ auto feeder there are some floating pallets some sinking pallets some slow sinking pallets...

Wa so many types ah. Okay I will go to a lfs sol and check them out.

• SRC Member

Wa so many types ah. Okay I will go to a lfs sol and check them out.

I am located at punggol. If conv to you, i can pass you some samples for your fish to try try before you decide which type to buy. I suspect giving the amount my fish eat, very soon i might have to help them eat pallets liao...

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

I am located at punggol. If conv to you, i can pass you some samples for your fish to try try before you decide which type to buy. I suspect giving the amount my fish eat, very soon i might have to help them eat pallets liao...

Oh that's nice of you! I'm currently having my exams now, I drop by next week if you're okay. Are you near the mrt ?