DIY overflow system

Melvin

:off: finally i see another reefer using the same juwel tank as i m having. ;)

Bro, looks like only got both of us. But as wat I told u before, it's really going very very slow due to finance constraint. If I can make it to your standard, perhaps Juwel should pay us some advertising fee. So, have Juwel contacted u already? Ha, ha!

Cheers!

Items left...

Ehliem Wet & Dry 2223

Prizm protein skimmer

Coralife UV

Resun 650 chiller

Giving up hobby, due to family commitment.

• SRC Member
By using dandelion76's method in starting the flow, here's the how the receiving end like.  The flow is really powerful and splashing!  And sounds like water fall.

So glad that my little info helps. :D

Bro can your 1/2" overflow cope with the return flowrate? I am using two 1" overflow coz I find the flowrate of using just one of them can't keep up with my return flow (made some mistake in the 1st one, too short and hence the flowrate is limited).. U might want to take note of that

Using Rio 20HF now.. I think the flow could reach 3000 l/h after the head loss... with a total water volume of 100 L I have 30X of turnover per hour :yeah:

So glad that my little info helps. :D

Bro can your 1/2" overflow cope with the return flowrate? I am using two 1" overflow coz I find the flowrate of using just one of them can't keep up with my return flow (made some mistake in the 1st one, too short and hence the flowrate is limited).. U might want to take note of that

Using Rio 20HF now.. I think the flow could reach 3000 l/h after the head loss... with a total water volume of 100 L I have 30X of turnover per hour :yeah:

If your pump that power, perhaps the out may not able to catchup. I'm using Elheim 1250, going at only 1200l/h, which is just nice to cycle the refugium tank and the UV, supplementing my 2-tier Elheim wet/dry main filter. Hope all would work well.

Items left...

Ehliem Wet & Dry 2223

Prizm protein skimmer

Coralife UV

Resun 650 chiller

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Can anyone tel me what size of pvc pipe is suitable?

Cos i Just made one using 16mm pipe and find that the flow rate is quite slow <_< .

Thanks in advance :thanks:

I use 16mm too. It's do seems slow than a 1200L/H pump can return. The water level will overflow over the overflow box. But later after I add the 'drain fence'...now just nice liao.

Cheers!

Items left...

Ehliem Wet & Dry 2223

Prizm protein skimmer

Coralife UV

Resun 650 chiller

Oh sorry, I remember wrongly. Actually it was ok just with the overflow box. The water maintained at about half the height in the box, with the 1200L/H pump and it stay there. It only when the wet/dry cannister filter release water then the 16mm pipe unable to cope and thus the water level rise till over the box. The 'drain fence' is actually those slots where use to block fish/LS got drain into it. By that, it limit the flow going into the box and thus no more over liao. So, it's really not same as your case.

Coming back, I find the 16mm is just nice for my setup. And the flow is really strong, if u refer to my previous pic. My refusium is really well stirr.

So, how did u find your flow weak? Is it still have air inside the pipe?

Items left...

Ehliem Wet & Dry 2223

Prizm protein skimmer

Coralife UV

Resun 650 chiller

• SRC Member

i need one made from MELVIN~!~!

or any bros who can make one ECONOMICALLY....

MELVIN U ARE Wanted ~!~! PLS CONTACT ME AT 90256005

post-304-1148825424.gifmadboy.gifmadboy.gifmadboy.gif

That just because someone doesn’t love you the way you want them to,

doesn’t mean they don’t love you with all they have.

• SRC Member

90degree elbow X 5 (1unit 0.80) = $4.00

25mm pipe (1ft 0.60) X 4ft = $2.40

cap + pvc glue(1.60) = not more than $3.00

Total i think should be less than $10.00

ofkoz not mentioning labour + handsaw + measuring tape + miscellaneous...

post-304-1148825424.gifmadboy.gifmadboy.gifmadboy.gif

That just because someone doesn’t love you the way you want them to,

doesn’t mean they don’t love you with all they have.

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member
Ha ha... bro can consider your idea... may be I typed the manual and u print them out for those who needs it?  :eyebrow:

I have made a new one with sloted PVC pipe as surface skimmer as shown by bro melvin. Will post some photos tomorrow or sunday. I have figure out way to secure the skimmer to the over-flow using PVC reducer (but needs some cutting, tapping work). Will share them later.  :lol:

Promised to post but waited till such long never done that :paiseh:

Okay here's what I did with the over-flow skimmer (requested by a new reefer).

Things I used:

1x 2" to 1.5" reducer

1x 2" PVC end cap

1x 2" PVC pipe

1. Saw the reducer as shown by the black line, then attached it to one of the skimmer's end. Cover the other end with end cap.

post-9-1110097125.jpg

• SRC Member

Thanks bro weishun ..

Someone did ask if there's any problem pasting oyama paper and submerge it in tank water. Well after more than 5 months there's no problem with the oyama paper at all.. now even got coraline algae grow on its surface liao.. :)

hi guys... can anyone make the overflow thingy for me? would really loved to diy myself but me no time & even no patience lolx.... anybody whom would be so kind to make one for me pls pm me the quote... it's to be used in a 1.5ft or 2ft height tank with a return pump rate of around 2000l/hr. thanks! :lol: