Moorish Idol - Any experience with this?

• SRC Member
Better left at the sea... Leave it to mother nature... Impossible to keep in captivity... Low survival rate... and not reef safe...

actually most anthias species also have low survival rate. Maybe not lower than this fish but still quite low. Should we also put them anthias back into the sea? ;)

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• Sponsor

:lol: The moorish idol, affectionately known as Gill now, was one of the first fishes that I've kept as a marine hobbyist. IMO, this fish is NOT reef safe, got mine to start feeding on a brain coral before it moved on to bloodworms quite many years back. This beauty can be hard to wean on a pellet diet but some aquarists have actually succeeded to get them feeding. (see article on food test of "Spectrum" in TFH last year)

To keep them successfully, tempt them with a range of live food, corals if nothing works... <_< (last resort really)and be patient. Start off with a healthy specimen that is interested in the suroundings, I noticed that these are not shy and retiring fishes but swim around in the open quite boldly.

Being a difficult species, frankly Moorish idols should be attempted only by the more experienced but it is always good to find out more first before any purchase. ;)

actually most anthias species also have low survival rate. Maybe not lower than this fish but still quite low. Should we also put them anthias back into the sea? ;)

That is not i meant... It is just that moorish idol sometimes doesnt eat but anthias will eat... Should be attempted by experienced reefer with stable water para... They will not last very long even though they can survive... :peace: Actually I also like them...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

Hi there,

I have one morrish Idol in my reef tank, there are pros and cons, I must agree that this is a very beauty fish, it's color so vibrient and swimming so gracefully.

I have read a book that Morrish is being 2nd grade most difficult fish in the eco-system, 5th grade being the easiest. We can imagine this is not an easy task to keep if you do not have the right environment, i.e. water condition; competability of your tank community, the most difficulty is that Morrish does not eat easily in our tank, if it refuses to eat at the beginning, that's it.

Make sure you witness the successful feeding at the shop before you pick up one. Many people tends to buy the appearance of the fish and forgo the willingness to eat. My friend bought one which looks extremely beautiful but ignored the food in front, his died in about a week. Beside, Morrish is very prone to white spot when they are in the new environment. Your tank water condition must be close to perfect before you are temped to introduce this fish.

My Morrish eats almost anything I put into the tank, such as brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, dry food, pellet food, sea weed etc. Her diet is so wide that she even pecking my meat corals.

Here is the pisture of my Morrish

Chipson1

post-8-1078231793.jpg