Good bad ugly - Gonipora

mechgobi

• SRC Member

Good bad ugly about Gonipora

Got one recently, choice a dying piece that shows skeleton and mistaken this to xenia(so naïve), now want to give some details I learnt about this coral

Good:

Beautiful look, sweeps your feet off

Interesting to watch its waving hands

Comes in three color varities .. if I am not wrong

Price short of ok.. not sure its in good category or bad- but got a golf ball size at 15$ from LFS.. not to mention again, as told by experienced reefers here.. that specimen was dying.. so calculate the cost accordingly

Bad:

Difficult to feed, as its very sensitive and shrink away with any movements.

Placement need to be perfect

Caution in choosing the coral, as mentioned should not show the golf ball skeleton(newbie take a note)

Ugly

Short life span, not based on experience, any reefer to share happy stories on this?

• SRC Member

Actually Gonipora is not a difficult coral. The difficult look-alike is Jewel Coral aka Flower Pot.

I kept my green Goni for 1yr 9mths. It's my first coral and survived thru 2 tank crash. The red Goni is 1yr 2mths, it survived 1 tank crash and after it drop on an elegance coral. Both coral is at the back of my tank in the pic.

post-9-14183572321772_thumb.jpg

Goniopora and its close cousin alvepora does require slightly better husbandry compared to other lps. I will say its a hit n miss but once stable, they do very well.

I believe your selection of coral is more critical as you should not choose a coral which shows its 'skeleton'. From its transporting and acclimatising stress, it will not be able to survive unless you are a really experienced reefer, even so, the probabilities are stacked against you.

You may wanna find other lfs who are more honest and tell you about the problem den this lfs who taking advantage of your inexperience to choose a healthy coral