Anemone behavior

• SRC Member

Hi all, i am new to SW and after 3 weeks of cycling i bought 2 small clownfish 2 weeks back and just last week i added a bubble tip anemone and 1 anemone crab.

the anemone crab is the first to host onto the anemone and ever since the 2 clownfish got to know of the anemone's existence, all 3 of them never left the anemone. is this overwhelming for the anemone?

and because of this the anemone seems to be moving away from light and under a live rock.. is this normal?

Hi all, i am new to SW and after 3 weeks of cycling i bought 2 small clownfish 2 weeks back and just last week i added a bubble tip anemone and 1 anemone crab.

the anemone crab is the first to host onto the anemone and ever since the 2 clownfish got to know of the anemone's existence, all 3 of them never left the anemone. is this overwhelming for the anemone?

and because of this the anemone seems to be moving away from light and under a live rock.. is this normal?

Yes it is very normal. They will find a good place with just nice lights and flow.

Anemone likes to have their body covered from light and water movements while preferring its tentacles exposed to moderate light and water movements.

So it is pretty common for it to move under a live rock and when ur lights are on, it will extend its tentacles outwards.

Do not try to move it back to where it came from as it will only move again. Doing so many times will also cause stress to the anemone and its hosting fishes/crab

• SRC Member

thank you everyone for your replies.

yes i also read about how my tank can be too young after i bought the anemone.. lets hope it can make it through.

let me digress abit: i noticed some kind of sea slug coming out from my live rocks when i was cycling the tank. i didnt really give it any thought and the slugs seems to multiple at an alarming rate, there are at least 20(the bigger sized are alittle big longer than 1cm) in the tank and this morning i noticed that there are at least 5 near the anemone.

should i be concerned?

• SRC Member

image2c24.jpeg

sorry for poor photo, the reddish brown creature that is on the rock.

some are black while others are beige.

looks like stomatella snail. If so, harmless algae grazers.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

Just to share my encounter with anemone. 6 months ago, I bought a very nice bubble tip, put it in and as what Sani Boyun said it find a place to settle for the first day and it was at just the place I wanted it to be. Very Nice. Second day, when I checked my tank, nearly fainted, the fellow decided to take up a challenge with my wave maker and got grinded into pieces. Quickly did a 50% water changed to prevent excessive nutrient build up. From that onward, very afraid of trying another one until one month later, when I look through my tank, to my suprise I found a piece of bubble tip attached to one of my live rock and was very healthy and nice colour. It was a piece of remain of the anemone that was being grinded and it survived through. They are actually that hardy and the small piece of remains have actually grown to another anemone which still doing good in my tank.

Up coming project:

5' x 2.5' x 2.5' Mix Reef Tank