Review: Duo Sensors OTS (and tips)

asg

• SRC Member
Hi! all,

Purchased this duo sensors OTS during my china trip a month ago and have finally set it up. Writing a short review for those bros who have yet to try out OTS.

When OTS is concern, the biggest fear for anyone is that what if the sensor failed to work and keep pumping water non-stop and convert living room and swimming pool. Having an Infra red equipped OTS is one good (but expensive) solution, the cheaper alternative is a duo sensors OTS.

The logic behind duo sensors is that if the normal float switch (the one on the left) failed to work for whatever reason, the backup float switch (on the right) will kick in to stop the water flow when water level raised till the brim of the tank (or whichever height you set it to be) .

post-5037-0-24178900-1420443164_thumb.jp

once good tip that I got from the online seller is that to connect the OTS to a digital timer (which on/off can be set down to a minute) so even if both float switches failed, you wont return home to a swimming pool. In my case, I just set the OTS to "on" daily from 620am to 621am (1 min of top up per day, in fact based of my observation, it took just 33 sec to top up my tank).

Advantages of using a digital timer also include: it prevents your OTS pump from on-off on-off multiply times daily, thus prolonging the useful life of your OTS. It also prevent your pump from running dry non-stop if you forgot to top up your waterbox.

post-5037-0-66951200-1420443165_thumb.jp

Also, please use an anti-siphon valve (not sure the correct name of it) so that water wont be siphon out if tragic happened.

post-5037-0-93230400-1420443164_thumb.jp

mini pump

post-5037-0-41258600-1420443308_thumb.jp

Small waterbox (max 7l)

All in all, I am happy that with less than the price of a flame angel, I wont need to worry about topping up my tank when I am traveling.

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

• SRC Supporter

Thanks for sharing.

If you place the inlet tube above your display tank water surface like what you have done, it won't ever siphon water out correct? (i.e. no anti siphon valve required).

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member

Thanks for sharing.

If you place the inlet tube above your display tank water surface like what you have done, it won't ever siphon water out correct? (i.e. no anti siphon valve required).

chance is very slim, but if both the switches are faulty (and water is filled to the brim) or when the pump goes berserk and run in reverse mode, it might still draw water away from the tank... so I just play safe a bit... :P

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014