Magical's (6.5 x 2.5 x 2) Feet Partition Dream Tank

magical26

You mean those fake types with coloured coraline algae painted on is it?

Yes or those rock from iwarna. You can use it as a base and add some rock to it later on. It will make the scaping much easier.

Yes or those rock from iwarna. You can use it as a base and add some rock to it later on. It will make the scaping much easier.

Ok... those aquaroche ceramic ones seem fine. But dont really fancy those with paint on coraline. Thanks alot for suggesting...

Scape looks good to me! U got some really nice shaped rocks there, just play around with it, until u find something that appeals to ur eyes.

Yup... I've spent much time scaping and tearing it down all over again for quite a while. Think I've found something i like... Will update with pictures soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy CNY to all, its been a while and my tank is currently cycling. Like to share some updates that took place before CNY.

I remember reading somewhere on RC that someone had their base glass cracked because one of the rocks had a sharp pointed edge that sits on it. Over time, it caused a crack. I believe the chances of such cases happening are extremely rare but i am not taking any chances, which is why i chose 19mm base glass as well.

Before i place my rocks into the tank, i wanted to use plastic egg-crates/light diffuser to ensure the weight of the rocks were more properly and evenly distributed. And also, to prevent movement of the rocks should the sand bed gets shifted by any live stock. As a result, smaller pieces of rocks might topple.

post-12962-0-37035700-1424865671_thumb.j

However i heard of the dead spots created within the little squares, and i didnt want that to occur as well. As such, I've decided to go with these...

Chopping Boards found at Daiso. Needless to say, $2 per piece

post-12962-0-66317000-1424865959_thumb.j

Its 6mm thick, pretty decent to evenly spread some of the rocks' weight. And no dead spots as well.

post-12962-0-89917200-1424866058_thumb.j

I bought a few pieces home that day, and it comes in 2 different sizes as well.

post-12962-0-99264100-1424866167_thumb.j

Gonna stack my rockscape on top of these instead of traditional egg-crates.

Bro u sure cutting board wont released any harmful chemical after prolong period in saltwater...

Thanks for highlighting the concerns bro... Hopefully not, i read up a little bit more on the material of a plastic chopping board. Its actually similar to those 25L plastic jerry containers we used for storing water etc. Its HDPE material... Most food-grade safe materials are quite safe for our reefs actually, my own 2 cents.

Apparently, many reefers from RC use them safely as well.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2075959

Here is another abstract of the material

220px-Snijplank.JPG
A plastic cutting board

Plastic cutting boards are usually called PE (polyethylene) cutting boards, or HDPE (high-density polyethylene plastic), the material of which these boards are made. There are basically two types of HDPE boards being made. One version is made from injection-molded plastic, while the other is HDPE from an extrusion line. There are several certifications of plastic cutting boards, one being NSF, that certifies the plastic has passed requirements to come in contact with food. Unlike wood, plastic has no inherent antiseptic properties.[1] However, unlike wood, plastic boards do allow rinsing with harsher cleaning chemicals such as bleach and other disinfectants without damage to the board or retention of the chemicals to later contaminate food. Most high-density polyethylene plastic (HDPE) boards are specifically designed not to dull the edge of a knife. If a score line is present, the knife is safe. A serrated knife should not be used on a plastic cutting board. The sharper the knife, the longer the cutting board will last. Semi-disposable thin flexible cutting boards also ease transferring their contents to a cooking or storage vessel.

Good idea !! It should be safe for using further more I belive it will also be covered up by your sand?

Yes bro, I will cover it up with sand. Will update with pics soon. A lil caught up off late to update... bleah!

Hi reefers, hope everyone's weekend was good. Finally found some time to upload some pictures and update. I have progressed to load my rockscape into my display tank on top of the chopping boards. Went against the minimalist type of look due to personal preference, cos i love to see my fishes swimming "in/out/around/under/through" the rocks. Just me i guess... however, i didnt 'overload' with too much rocks as well. Beneath are some pics...

Spent some time on this arch-way because i didnt want the joints of the rocks to be obvious.

post-12962-0-96459700-1425818213_thumb.j

post-12962-0-61261400-1425818350_thumb.j

Top down shot

post-12962-0-81538500-1425818266_thumb.j

post-12962-0-19377900-1425818015_thumb.j

The wires on the right side will be bundled nicely once lighting fixtures are up

post-12962-0-73086400-1425818086_thumb.j

post-12962-0-91079300-1425817985_thumb.j

post-12962-0-14409900-1425818127_thumb.j

I try to create as much gaps/holes/arch internally with only certain points of the rocks touching the base.

post-12962-0-94242900-1425818519_thumb.j

To all the reefing bros who are ever so talented in rock-scaping, please feel free to comment. Got much to learn from you guys.

Nice scape...... Bro, now my tank's scape look like 2 stack of rocks nia........

Thanks Bro... any pics of your scape?

Yo bro. One suggestion. Would coral at the far end of ur tank on the lower rock get enough light?

Hi bro Andrew, yes i would have a light directly over it. Plus my tank height is only 2 feet, should be enough. Theoretically it should be ok since corals in some reefers' tank are doing well even though placement is on the sand bed. Question here is... must know what the light requirements are for specific corals in order to place them at a suited site in the tank. Thanks for highlighting though, will take note of it.

Lolx... Not bad bro... you mix your sand with white and black ah?

Haha..... Thot decomm it n go bk to luo han

The sand original black n white.

It's live sand that I got from Madpetz.

Hv to chk with Redsun for the sand name. …

Haha..... Thot decomm it n go bk to luo han

The sand original black n white.

It's live sand that I got from Madpetz.

Hv to chk with Redsun for the sand name. …

Huh... go back to luo han... mai siao lah bro. Luo Han craze over long ago... stick to reefing, more challenge = more fun = more satisfaction when u succeed. Lolx

Huh... go back to luo han... mai siao lah bro. Luo Han craze over long ago... stick to reefing, more challenge = more fun = more satisfaction when u succeed. Lolx

Lol..... Sold my luo han last yr n convert to marine but always fail leh.....

Let There Be Sand

I want a shallow sand bed made up of sand that are fine but yet not get blown about easily. Not too big, and also not too fine. Hmm... kind of fickle... In the end, I chose the special grade sand from Caribsea.

post-12962-0-49900100-1426516346_thumb.j

post-12962-0-75283600-1426516373_thumb.j

In goes the sand along with saltwater

post-12962-0-44907800-1426516425_thumb.j

Its a messy blurry state initially

post-12962-0-00424800-1426516538_thumb.j

post-12962-0-82882800-1426516597_thumb.j

Will this help? It comes with the sand, read from reviews that its not bad.

post-12962-0-75617000-1426516618_thumb.j

I have filled my tank with 100% salt mix with RODI water. I mixed the water in blue barrels first before pumping it into tank.

• SRC Member

Nice! Where you get the sand from?

Tank Size: 3.5 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft
Sump: 3ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft”
Return Pump: Eheim 1264
Chiller Pump: H2Ocean Flow Pump 3000
Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 200
Wavemakers: 2 X Maxspect Gyre 130; 1 x Ecotech VorTech MP10WES, 1 x Ecotech VorTech MP40WES, 1x Jebao RW15
Filtration: Schuran Multifilter 100 (Rowa Phos), Two Little Fishies Phosban 150 Fluidised Reactor (Vertex Rox 0.8 Carbon), Enductor Fluidized Reactor- FR45 (NP Biopellets & All In One Biopellets) with Eden 140 Pump, Santa Monica Hogx1 Algae Turf Scrubber, Cheato
Calcium Reactor: Skimz CM152 with needle valve and Maxijet 600 feed Pump (CaribSea ARM Extra Coarse ,KZ Coral Gravel, Two Little Fishies Reborn, Grotech Magnesium Pro)
Dosing: Bubble Magnus Dosing Pump BM-T01 + 2 x 4 Head Expansion Accessory BM-T02
Bio Media: Marine Pure, Bacteria King, Eheim Substrat Pro, Eheim Substrat, Seachem DeNitrate, PowerHouse Hard, Polyplab Biosphere, Seachem Purigen

Chiller: JBJ Arctica Titanium Aquarium Chiller (1/3 Hp - DBE-150)
Lighting: ATI Powermodule 6 x 39 Watt T5. Solite 4 x 39 Watt T5 (Only 2 used) (Blue+ Blue+ Coral+ Purple+ Coral+ AB Special) (Blue+ Purple+)
Auto Top Up system: Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off
Monitoring: 2 x Milwaukee MC 122 PH Controller (Calcium Reactor & PH Monitoring)

Substrate: CaribSea Aragamax Select