Salt mixing

Sherilyn91

• SRC Member

This is my first time mixing salt.. I am using a reflectometer.. How ever I find mixing salt a very puzzle question.. I have mixed a few pail so far.. Each time the number of teaspoon needed to reach 1.020 is very difference.. Sometimes need 20 teaspoon. Some times need 18 teaspoon.. Sometimes jus an additional teaspoon will jump a lot in the Sg.. I am sure the salt mix is even and settle down before I measure..

Am very puzzle how come sometimes jus 1 additional teaspoon will make a lot of difference..

Any bro facing same issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

I would stop after my mix's reading reaches example at 1.025. I let it settled for at 15 mins ( still stirring by my wavemaker) and take my reading. Pls ensure your reflectometer have been calibrated and ATC. If you need help, pm me. We stay a stone throw from each other

• SRC Member

Yo sis. It is easier to adjust your final SG by adding water to your salt mixed. What i do is:

Add 80% water to the pail

Add salt, stir, measure SG

repeat till close to my target level 1.023

Final adjustment by adding bit of salt or water

Add prime put carbon Let it air pumped for 24 hours

Measured again

After few times u will know how much it takes to reach ur target level eg 1.0225 will become 1.023 in 24 hours.

P/S: dont use teaspoon lah, use a plastic bowl or something like that. Faster.

子非鱼,焉知鱼之乐... (you are not the fish so you...)

Then: my 4FT low tech selling off tank... (2006)

Now: (2014)

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

Yo sis. It is easier to adjust your final SG by adding water to your salt mixed. What i do is:

Add 80% water to the pail

Add salt, stir, measure SG

repeat till close to my target level 1.023

Final adjustment by adding bit of salt or water

Add prime put carbon Let it air pumped for 24 hours

Measured again

After few times u will know how much it takes to reach ur target level eg 1.0225 will become 1.023 in 24 hours.

P/S: dont use teaspoon lah, use a plastic bowl or something like that. Faster.

Haha sorry bro it's tablespoon.. Leaving it for some time the Sg will drop Ah? Wondering sometimes a little more salt will increase a lot.. Doesn't seems proportional..

Need to add prime and carbon? I jus use tap water add anti chlorine..

Also, Steven told me mix 1.020 add into tank will be ok? My tank is maintain at 1.025..

• SRC Member

I would stop after my mix's reading reaches example at 1.025. I let it settled for at 15 mins ( still stirring by my wavemaker) and take my reading. Pls ensure your reflectometer have been calibrated and ATC. If you need help, pm me. We stay a stone throw from each other

Thanks bro.. Will try..

Very easy lah.

Use the same spoon, container and pail.

Then you know how much water use how much salt .

The final tuning is add aditional DI water to bring down and aditional

salt to bring up.

But must stir well before taking measurement

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

Haha sorry bro it's tablespoon.. Leaving it for some time the Sg will drop Ah? Wondering sometimes a little more salt will increase a lot.. Doesn't seems proportional..

Also, Steven told me mix 1.020 add into tank will be ok? My tank is maintain at 1.025..

firstly, test the NO3 PO4 for your mixed water, better to be safe lah.

if your tank is 1.025, then top up with fresh water till DT becomes 1.025 (this is to compensate for daily evaporation loss), then WC with 1.025 water. don't do it the way of topping up with diff SG water unless you are trying to bring down/ up your SG.

remember, you are not only changing water for your tank, you are also resetting/ replenishing the calcium, mg, trace elements, etc for your water and consistency is important to the LS.

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

firstly, test the NO3 PO4 for your mixed water, better to be safe lah.

if your tank is 1.025, then top up with fresh water till DT becomes 1.025 (this is to compensate for daily evaporation loss), then WC with 1.025 water. don't do it the way of topping up with diff SG water unless you are trying to bring down/ up your SG.

remember, you are not only changing water for your tank, you are also resetting/ replenishing the calcium, mg, trace elements, etc for your water and consistency is important to the LS.

thats what i though so too.. but steven told me if i change with 1.025 water later will become 1.027.. he recommend me to change 1.020 water.. puzzled too..

• SRC Member

Correct me if i am wrong!

But why bother measuring salt with a spoon, just follow instructions on pack.

I use red sea salt .

38.2 g/l for coral.

For a 20 Liter bucket 764 grams of salt.

Just use a small weight machine & the SG is always right.

Yo bro. Cos we dont always keep our SG at the package suggested SG.

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

thats what i though so too.. but steven told me if i change with 1.025 water later will become 1.027.. he recommend me to change 1.020 water.. puzzled too..

True that you need to factor in water loss (not salt) thro evaporation and thro wet skimmate but for some tanks SG is almost unchange dispite the two. So if i remove 10% water of 1.023, i shall top up with 1.023 water ya.

@Sept 2014

• SRC Member

As long as the volume of water is correct & weighting scale is accurate ..the SG should be correct ...

FYI: Sg does get affected by temperature too...the old red sea salt pack had a table of Sg in different temperatures.

Yes weighting scale is sure one way of doing it but it might not be as flexible if i am doing WC of diff volumn every now and then.

@Sept 2014

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hello sis, may i know if you directly mix marine salt with tap water? Is that possible? i thought everybody emphasis must use RO/DI water?

Pls don be offended,I asking due to curiosity only, i also want to mix with tap water also but scare it will have adverse effect

• SRC Member

1st & foremost, is the volume of water constant throughout?with little volume water, a bit more salt will up the SG by a significant margin..Btw, is the Steven LCK201 boss or AC boss Steven who say mix & top with 1.020? Fyi, LCK201 NSW SG is 1.021 & AC seawater SG is 1.025 (I measured with my old hydrometer), more other SG of water is 1.020(ah Beng), 1.014(TFC)..note that refractometer need calibration..u can try measure LFS water to make a comparison..anyway, salt fully dissolved then can start to measure SG..I trust my hydrometer :P

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• SRC Member

1st & foremost, is the volume of water constant throughout?with little volume water, a bit more salt will up the SG by a significant margin..Btw, is the Steven LCK201 boss or AC boss Steven who say mix & top with 1.020? Fyi, LCK201 NSW SG is 1.021 & AC seawater SG is 1.025 (I measured with my old hydrometer), more other SG of water is 1.020(ah Beng), 1.014(TFC)..note that refractometer need calibration..u can try measure LFS water to make a comparison..anyway, salt fully dissolved then can start to measure SG..I trust my hydrometer :P

To clarify that those SG of seawater is measured from the bag of water my fishes was in..I measured is because I wanted to acclimate my new fish to my tank water SG of 1.016 & at the same time test whether my old hydrometer is working fine anot:)..cheers & happy reefing..

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• SRC Member

What brand of salt are you using?

Normally there is detail salt specification stated on the bucket or on their Internet website for X gram in Y gallon of water will result in 1.025 SG (in certain temperature as salinity is affected by temperature). For instance RedSea Coral Pro salt spec is here:

http://www.redseafish.com/red-sea-salts/coral-pro-salt/

So we don't even need a refractometer if we know the volume of water we are mixing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Do make sure your reflectometer is calibrated. I had made the mistake of using a non calibrated reflectometer before and it screw up everything

Can I know how do you calibrate your refractometer? By using distill water?