Huge mess after replacing gfo in reactor

ml708

• SRC Member

Everytime I change gfo in my phosphate reactor, it will release lots of the brown iron oxide powder all over the tank which makes my water cloudy and not to mention unsightly.

This also dirties up the filter wool really fast.

My question is whether this is harmful to fish and corals (never personally had a problem). Anybody has solutions to this unsightly situation?

Can try Fauna Marin Ultra-Phos as it is a new aluminium based adsorber which safely removes phosphates and humic substances from the aquarium.

I am using it and price is very affordable.

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

Can try Fauna Marin Ultra-Phos as it is a new aluminium based adsorber which safely removes phosphates and humic substances from the aquarium.

Bro James, got a few questions... how much is it? Needs FR? Which LFS sells it? I am open to trying new products recommended here...

I would agree on that , fauna marine ultraPhos and Seachem phosguard are Aluminium based GFO and I would say cleaner than those normal iron based GFO, still have to wash thoroughly at first tho.

I'm doing Seachem phosguard so far Sps has no effect , there some reviews saying aluminium has ill effects on Sps but all good for me now.

Stairway to Heaven

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

When u change gfo...dont change at your tank area. Do it during water change. Take it out and use rodi water to rinse few round in the reactor with gfo. It take like few swirls then shld be much clearer. Then the output you place a micron bag to trap those other smaller particles.

• 1 year later...
  • SRC Member
On 2/8/2015 at 3:37 PM, Jameshong said:

Hi, where to get FM ultra phos? how much it costs and does it require to use FR? Thanks for your info.

• SRC Supporter
Hi, where to get FM ultra phos? how much it costs and does it require to use FR? Thanks for your info.

Iwarna usually have it else you can try pm aquafauna supplies

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• 4 weeks later...