massive plant growth!!!

• SRC Member

haha.. good thing is it doesn't grow all around like algae. I guess it wouldn't be any problem . Infact I find it quite nice.. esp the first pic..

only thing about these plants is that you will need to trim it often.. in your case very often..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

got free food for tangs :lol::lol::lol:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

Those algae look like bryopsis (feathery appearance). They will take over your tank if you don't keep them under control... i used to have one or two patches on my base rocks.... did not pluck them out as I thought they looked great.... now I have a lawn on some of the rocks... and they spread really fast.... from what I have read (but nvr tried), ur tangs won't touch it.

someone started a thread on bryopsis a couple of weeks back...

• SRC Member

Yup thats bryopsis alright. Better get rid of it before it grows everywhere. Remove while you still can but not underwater otherwise you will spread it.

It grows like weeds and unless you have a way of harvesting it every week and controlling its growth, you better remove it fast.

Otherwise its a great nutrient exporter which never goes asexual because of its rapid growth. But make sure you can control its growth. And forget about anything that eats it. There is only 1 type of slug which eats it but will die once its gone. Fish, snails and other slugs dun eat it.

It is toxic and contains a kind of nerve agent which affects the heart when consumed.

• SRC Member

BTW how does one remove it?

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

• SRC Member

The only way is plucking. I have to harvest them from my overflow box everyweek. Its a nuisance. But they help to camouflage my overflow box. If they ever grow on my rocks I am done for. hahaha

The most effective way to stop them is to overgrow your sump with other types of algae. This will force them to compete with the nutrients available. If your sump is filled with enough growing algae, the bryopsis growth will slow down greatly.

Reducing light intensity will also reduce or slow growth. However this is not as good as your corals will suffer.

• SRC Member

then its back to square one.. plucking..hehe