My new 1.5 ft nano tank

yhanlee

Bought 3kg of sand and 5kg of live rock last week. Due to previous experience of too much pest in the lr, decided to deep the lr in fresh water for 2days and after that let it dry in the sun. Today start the setup to cycle the water first

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Started to dose bacteria. Will let it cycle for 2weeks b4 doing any water test.

Plan is to have 2to 3 small fishes and some easy lps corals. Izzit ok if I don't use a skimmer? Should I add a small wavemaker also? Many thanks

Hi bro welcome back. using coral chips as your substrate? Might trap debris which is bad for the tank in the future.

I just started a 1.5ft nano not long ago too!!

Thanks bro, I am using this as substrate

fe7c9a1c8a4f32a69cf28890bf3efcea.jpg

Substrate i mean the 'sand bed' not media. Hob is fine i guess im using the dolphin hob filter also, but bigger capacity

Icic yes it's coral chip bro. Plan to just siphone out the debris during wc

Wah so cute. Not a big fan of hang on filter for marine. Might wanna consider adding on a canister as well. Or just keep minimal livestock and waterchange, Dont forget to top up evaporated water! Happy reefing.

I Love Stagsss

Wah so cute. Not a big fan of hang on filter for marine. Might wanna consider adding on a canister as well. Or just keep minimal livestock and waterchange, Dont forget to top up evaporated water! Happy reefing.

Thanks, yup topping up daily with tap water. Planning to use auto top up later

• SRC Member

Welcome to reefing, you have a simple nice setup. Many reef hobbyists start out the same approach. HOB is fine, ok to have no skimmer, simple lighting is ok as long as LS in tank doesn't reach overload condition. And the types of corals and fishes are easy ones. The problem is once we are successful with easy LS we want to move on to more challenging ones. But that's the thrill of reefing. There are some parameters that can't be compromised like water. Topping up with DI water rather than tap water because overtime the accumulation of undesirable minerals will have adverse effects on LS especially corals.

Wah, nice nano. Haha, still got cny deco beside it some more. No skimmer means u need to do wc more frequent. If u planning to keep corals then it's gd to hv chiller or fan to cool down ur tank's temp. Also need to get a wave maker to keep current going in ur tank. If it's Juz fishes or inverts then wavemaker might be optional.

Cheers & welcome bk to the hobby!!

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Welcome to reefing, you have a simple nice setup. Many reef hobbyists start out the same approach. HOB is fine, ok to have no skimmer, simple lighting is ok as long as LS in tank doesn't reach overload condition. And the types of corals and fishes are easy ones. The problem is once we are successful with easy LS we want to move on to more challenging ones. But that's the thrill of reefing. There are some parameters that can't be compromised like water. Topping up with DI water rather than tap water because overtime the accumulation of undesirable minerals will have adverse effects on LS especially corals.

Agreed on the di water, maybe will leave it for future expansion when

wanna upgrade tank

Wah, nice nano. Haha, still got cny deco beside it some more. No skimmer means u need to do wc more frequent. If u planning to keep corals then it's gd to hv chiller or fan to cool down ur tank's temp. Also need to get a wave maker to keep current going in ur tank. If it's Juz fishes or inverts then wavemaker might be optional.

Cheers & welcome bk to the hobby!!

Yes, plan to get a small wavemaker. Btw, which wavemaker is good for 1.5ft ya

The smallest will be gd to go for ur tank.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

dude, im letting go everything for $80[attachment=228718_20150312_020520_LL.jpg][attachment=228719_20150123_231024.jpg][attachment=228720_20150312_020431.jpg][attachment=228721_20150312_020445.jpg]

Hi can I know what light set did you use to maintain your corals ???

Untitled.thumb.jpg.7714ce1b06996ffb51c72