Hi,

Can help to identify this coral? :unsure:

Any advice in keeping it?

But so far this is one of the most hardy coral I have. :D

thanks.

Those are button polyps, or sea mats.

They need light..

PS:

Some species are known for their Neurotoxin, they can make you feel ill... So handle them with care.. :nuke:

• SRC Member

Hi sorry i am confuse with SPS and LPS i know what they mean but my question is

SPS and LPS and soft corals and hard corals are these 4 the same ?

meaning SPS = soft corals and LPS = hard corals

sorry if this question sound silly // :unsure::unsure:

woonMing :evil:

• SRC Member
Palythoa, or sea mats contain a neurotoxin called palytoxin. This, according to some websites is a highly potent toxin. Do not cut the sea mats if you have a cut. They keep the toxin within themselves and do not release it at will, but when cut.

Ok.. Since we are at this topic..

Neurotoxin Warning,

extracted from Aquarium Corals, Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History.. by Eric H Borneman

All species of Palythoa, and most related zoanthids including the Protopalythoa species, produce a chemical called palytoxin in their mucus and gonads. Indigenous Pacific tribes used this neuromuscular agent to tip spears in order to paralyze prey animals and enemies. This is a potent toxin and can be deadly to humans. Certain fishes that prey on zoanthids, like filefishes, may even be responsible for bringing palytoxin into the food chain.

The heavy mucus coat of these species must be treated with great respect. It is most important to wear hand protection when touching these animals - especially if the handler has any breaks in his or her skin. Proper hand washing, even using a bactericidal soap, is also a good precaution.

• SRC Member
Wah..seems like I have a toxic tank!! :cry:

First I realise my beloved cute little boxfish is toxic under stress or die

Now this hardy sea mat! :shock:

:cry:

All corals got toxins what. Just some less, some more.

Sea mats are really fun corals though. Put a bit of flake food in their mouths and watch them eat it.

As a guide, soft corals tend to have more toxic qualities.

Only a few species can cause adverse reactions in people if somehow the slime gets onto a cut or enters the mouth. So don't handle corals and lick your fingers! :yeah:

• SRC Member
As a guide, soft corals tend to have more toxic qualities.

Only a few species can cause adverse reactions in people if somehow the slime gets onto a cut or enters the mouth. So don't handle corals and lick your fingers! :yeah:

Hmm, I was trying to sniff the base of my xenia which was a bit white to see if it was rotten. The xenia touched my nose. :nuke:

At least I know that it isn't rotten !