convert 6ft fresh water tank+Sump to marine FOWLR

hi all need some advise..

thinking of converting my 6ft tank to FOWLR...

currently this 6ft have a 5.5ft sump with 5 compartments.. might need to dismant 1 compartment to make the last compartment bigger for skimmer and other stuffs..

what do you guy think...

1. can the current sump use for marine? or do I have to make a new sump?

2. how many kg of rock is require to make a basic (not enough)?
3. which skimmer is good for 6ft? can recommend me the brand and model? my current tank vol is about 1300L to 1400L

4. is chiller a must for FOWLR?? hope to go without chiller for cost saving...

5. Can I reuse my current mini bio home media for the marine? my current sump is only fill with mini bio home for a the filtration compartment..

6. Do need to add sand? or can I go with bare bottom?

thanks

Current Tank(s) :

2 x 1 x 1 mixed reef tank

What in my mind now (future tanks)

4 x 2.5 x 1.5 low profile coral tank

3 x 2.5 x 1.5 low profile reef tank

Decommissioned Tanks :

2 ft seahorse tank back in the 1990s'

2.5 ft cube mixed reef tank in 2007 to 2008

JBJ 28g Tank . Maxspect G1 110W + 12W DIY LED . Tunze 9002 Skimmer . Vortech MP10w ES . SPS only Tank . Picasso Clown Fish (2009 to 2011)

2 x 1 x 1 puffer-fishes, box-fishes & Frog-fish tank (2015)

1) can. But the space like u said might not fit a skimmer especially for a big one

2) up to you. Depends on the fish. Big fish, you need more swimming space. There isn't a rule for minimum

3) depends on your budget, you can check out deltec, skimz , that's my preference

4) not a must. Depending on the normal temp of the water without chiller. Mine temp is about 30-31

5) I would give a proper wash and start dosing bacteria and do the proper cycle

6) not a need, depends if u like the look. Without sand, easier to maintain

1) can. But the space like u said might not fit a skimmer especially for a big one

2) up to you. Depends on the fish. Big fish, you need more swimming space. There isn't a rule for minimum

3) depends on your budget, you can check out deltec, skimz , that's my preference

4) not a must. Depending on the normal temp of the water without chiller. Mine temp is about 30-31

5) I would give a proper wash and start dosing bacteria and do the proper cycle

6) not a need, depends if u like the look. Without sand, easier to maintain

thanks for the info... will look into all your points.

Current Tank(s) :

Decommissioned Tanks :

JBJ 28g Tank . Maxspect G1 110W + 12W DIY LED . Tunze 9002 Skimmer . Vortech MP10w ES . SPS only Tank . Picasso Clown Fish (2009 to 2011)

• SRC Supporter

If you want to make do your setup without chiller , you have to try to minize the heat being introduce into the water I.e; return pump , skimmer pump and position where you place you tank ect. It can be done with some proper planning.

Bro your tank thickness must check too ah!

my current tank is 12mm, normal glass.. not those low iron clear glass... u think 12mm can do?

If you want to make do your setup without chiller , you have to try to minize the heat being introduce into the water I.e; return pump , skimmer pump and position where you place you tank ect. It can be done with some proper planning.

good point... my current tank with LED lighting and 1 return pump and the average water temp is around 28-29degree.. the tank is set in the living with no direct sunlight. .. maybe I should add a fan blowing at the sump where all the equipment will be during the afternoon period to cool down the temp abit..

Current Tank(s) :

Decommissioned Tanks :

• SRC Member

I can foreseen a nice FOWLR setup..6ft is a good tank size..12mm thickness is ok (my 5ft use 12mm glass too).. Temp 30-31°c is ok for FOWLR.. U can have a table fan to blow at the display tank water surface to achieve lower temp (can set timer to run 3hr & rest 3hr etc.. I m trying this timer setting now)..skimmer wise I recommend skimz as its affordable.. Biomedia wise can get marinepure blocks place in sump.. Rocks wise I recommend ceramic rocks from madpetz (the scape look very natural..can view their display tanks)..cheers & happy reefing :)post-21547-0-81299100-1433256523_thumb.j

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

I can foreseen a nice FOWLR setup..6ft is a good tank size..12mm thickness is ok (my 5ft use 12mm glass too).. Temp 30-31°c is ok for FOWLR.. U can have a table fan to blow at the display tank water surface to achieve lower temp (can set timer to run 3hr & rest 3hr etc.. I m trying this timer setting now)..skimmer wise I recommend skimz as its affordable.. Biomedia wise can get marinepure blocks place in sump.. Rocks wise I recommend ceramic rocks from madpetz (the scape look very natural..can view their display tanks)..cheers & happy reefing :)attachicon.gifimage.jpg

nice nice setup, is that a 6footer tank?

and thank for the info and advise, already noted down in my evernote ...heeheehee

bro im planning to decomm my 6ft fowlr. Pm me if you interested in all the equipment needed for a fowlr. Thks

ok bro.. I will keep your option KIV, cause now still in planning stage , feasibility study and budgeting.. .. maybe if you ok, can PM me your skimmer..heehee.. cos now the only equipment I need if to start a marine tank is the skimmer, other live stock can slowly source..

Current Tank(s) :

Decommissioned Tanks :

• SRC Member

hi all need some advise..

thinking of converting my 6ft tank to FOWLR...

currently this 6ft have a 5.5ft sump with 5 compartments.. might need to dismant 1 compartment to make the last compartment bigger for skimmer and other stuffs..

what do you guy think...

1. can the current sump use for marine? or do I have to make a new sump?

2. how many kg of rock is require to make a basic (not enough)?

3. which skimmer is good for 6ft? can recommend me the brand and model? my current tank vol is about 1300L to 1400L

4. is chiller a must for FOWLR?? hope to go without chiller for cost saving...

5. Can I reuse my current mini bio home media for the marine? my current sump is only fill with mini bio home for a the filtration compartment..

6. Do need to add sand? or can I go with bare bottom?

thanks

Bro dont disturb the newbies here lah. U are super old bird in reefing, u sure u need help in these basic stuffs u are asking????

Bro dont disturb the newbies here lah. U are super old bird in reefing, u sure u need help in these basic stuffs u are asking????

Lol Bro, old bird also need help. Cos never try reef tank bigger then 2ft, my last reef tank was a 2ft cube.. Now thinking of using my 6ft for reefing... So bigger tank mean everything different also. That why seek advise before jumping into it.

Current Tank(s) :

Decommissioned Tanks :

Bro, the pic is madpetz 8ft DT :)

oic, long time never go madpetz liao.. the last time I went they still at midview, I hear now they moved... must give the boss a call..heehee

Cant wait to see your stocked up FOWLR

wow.. kanna pressure already... need to clear all my arowana, altum and EBH first before I can start... LOL ... if I can get a good price for a skimmer.. I might start faster... now looking at BM cruve9

Current Tank(s) :

Decommissioned Tanks :

• SRC Member

oic, long time never go madpetz liao.. the last time I went they still at midview, I hear now they moved... must give the boss a call..heehee

wow.. kanna pressure already... need to clear all my arowana, altum and EBH first before I can start... LOL ... if I can get a good price for a skimmer.. I might start faster... now looking at BM cruve9

Buy the biggest skimmer withing ur budget ah. I read a nice packed FOWLR that has only LR and a adult height skimmer, super many large fish.

Buy the biggest skimmer withing ur budget ah. I read a nice packed FOWLR that has only LR and a adult height skimmer, super many large fish.

man height skimmer.. :eyebrow: ... LOL.. dun think my bank got enough money to buy...but I did saw such skimmer in one of the bro house...

I goggle BM curve9 from Toaboa..it cost S$360 before shipment... not sure it it worth it or not

Current Tank(s) :

Decommissioned Tanks :

• SRC Member

man height skimmer.. :eyebrow: ... LOL.. dun think my bank got enough money to buy...but I did saw such skimmer in one of the bro house...

I goggle BM curve9 from Toaboa..it cost S$360 before shipment... not sure it it worth it or not

Bro, $360 for skimmer is consider good price liao. And not to mention skimmer will be the heart of your filtration system loh.

worth it lah.

but dun have warranty though. lol

yup.. so everything will be at my own risk... but poor man like me..no choice lah...

unless I buy brand new from local supplier, but I think the price will be much higher... or if I buy 2nd hand from forum also no warranty...but part already wear and tear and lifespan shorter

Current Tank(s) :

Decommissioned Tanks :

• SRC Member

yup.. so everything will be at my own risk... but poor man like me..no choice lah...

unless I buy brand new from local supplier, but I think the price will be much higher... or if I buy 2nd hand from forum also no warranty...but part already wear and tear and lifespan shorter

part true... i met many kind souls that give and also cut throat seller too. impt buy le dun regret. lol.

u diy pro... cant wait to see ur LEDs. heehee