Questions about MH Lights

• SRC Member

Hi..i would like to noe..how long does it take for the bulb to warm up and reach its optimum?

Also what is the best distance between the tank and the light?

And 1 more thing..do u guys drill the holes on the ceiling(for those pendant ones) urselfs?.. or ask a professional to do it? Cos i`m afraid that the hooks might easily drop out of the ceiling cos its upside down... :upsidedown:

Thanx bros

• SRC Member

I think it takes a min or two for the bulb to completely warm up... not very long lah... distance I leave mine around 1ft from the water surface, or is it more.. hm...

And my MH is on a stand, also had my reservations about hanging.. some more mine is false ceiling...

• SRC Member
Hmm..can anybody gif me info on how to drill the holes in the ceiling so that my lights wun end up on the cabinet and the tank in bits and pieces...o.O

U will need power drill and drill bit for drilling walls and make sure u get the proper size wall plug to support the weight of ur MH. U could check with the hardware shop for more details.

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

• Sponsor
Yeah, can`t imgaine that too..the MH sure will spoil oso...

One more question, if the the MH now uses 150watts bulb, can i change the bulb to a higher watt one? or i haf to change the ballast?

The holes in the ceiling can easily be drilled. Just make sure the size of the hole is correct and the wall plug that you use fits snugly into the hole. Once you put the screw in, the whole rig will be very strong. I have tried suspending myself from the cable without any damage.

DO NOT drill a false ceiling. Not enough strength to hold the fixture.

If you want to change to higher wattage, you will need a ballast that matches the wattage you want to use and also the holders for the bulbs needs to be changed cause DE bulbs higher than 150W require ceremic holders and the connectors are also different.

If you have no electrical knowledge, I suggest you get a professional to do it as DIYing something like this involving electricity is something that you should not save upon.

• SRC Member
Hi..i would like to noe..how long does it take for the bulb to warm up and reach its optimum?

Also what is the best distance between the tank and the light?

And 1 more thing..do u guys drill the holes on the ceiling(for those pendant ones) urselfs?.. or ask a professional to do it? Cos i`m afraid that the hooks might easily drop out of the ceiling cos its upside down... :upsidedown:

Thanx bros

If you dont want to drill hole on ceiling in case next time upgrade ur lights.....etc I suggest you make or buy a stainless steel stand to hang ur MH pendant like this.

post-6-1079535211.jpg

• SRC Member

Hey bros, sorry to bother again...i juz finished reading a book abt reefkeeping and was looking at my tank when a question pop in my mind...i am now currently using a 150 watt 10000k MH light on my two feet tank(only sometimes i use), i`ll be upgrading my tank very soon..my new tank will be deeper, will there be enuff light reaching the bottom of the tank?..enuff to keep clams at the bottom?

• SRC Member

Before u start throwin ques....its better u fill us in on the proper info so tat we can advise u better. Deeper as in how deep? 2ft, 3ft????? :blink: If u tokin abt ur present tank being 1ft deep and ur deeper meanin 1.5ft deep then the present 150W is gd enough. btw, wat do u meant by (only sometimes i use), is urs a reef tank or fowlr ? :erm:

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

• SRC Member

haha..okie...firstly, i can`t fully determine wads the height of my new tank will be as i haf to move in to my new house first, secondly, my current tank is a fowlr tank but inside gt 1 rock of buttons and 1 rock of mushies..and thirdlly, wad i meant that i seldom use my MH is becos i only use my fl lights as they are good enuff for now, i wanted to set up a reef tank at first but my tank is too small and only make use of my MH once in awhile...

I`m askin all this question is part of my peparations for my upgrade, at least i know how deep my tank should be with my current MH lights so that i would nt make any costly mistakes... :D

• SRC Member
haha..okie...firstly, i can`t fully determine wads the height of my new tank will be as i haf to move in to my new house first, secondly, my current tank is a fowlr tank but inside gt 1 rock of buttons and 1 rock of mushies..and thirdlly, wad i meant that i seldom use my MH is becos i only use my fl lights as they are good enuff for now, i wanted to set up a reef tank at first but my tank is too small and only make use of my MH once in awhile...

I`m askin all this question is part of my peparations for my upgrade, at least i know how deep my tank should be with my current MH lights so that i would nt make any costly mistakes... :D

icic.....ok, most of the reefers here r using 250W MH for their 2-2.5ft depth tank so u can seriously consider the 250W. Unless u going for 3ft depth which u will nd to put on a mask and snorkel to do ur setup, a 400W will be good. But of coz, if u can afford the 1000W MH in terms(PUB bills, chiller....n not forgettin the amt of heat produce)by all means..get it. Nuthin beats the sun. ;)

post-34-1094181419.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

wow..okie..thanx for the info..but like now my i haf the 150watts 10000k bulb...if i were to use a 150watts 20000k bulb without changing the ballast can rite?..as long as the watts stays the same i can change rite?...or am i wrong? having headaches abt lights... :angry: