WTB - Used Snorkelling Gear

• SRC Member

Hi all

Planning a snorkelling trip to Bintan in April (3D, 2N) with my family. Rental there is about S$15 per few hours per day so I thought I might as well buy a used mask and "air-tube". Worth it?

Saw some "branded" sets at Taka Orchard around S$50-60. OK buy?

Very new to this so don't know the "market"... :lol:

• SRC Member

Well this might not be very helpful but the last time I went snorkelling, I rented the gear but it was so uncomfortable that I ditched it and went for my normal goggles instead. Held my breath and swam around... so much better....

Oh rented a lifejacket too so that I won't have to waste too much energy keeping afloat...

• SRC Member

Visit Concourse. You can try out the best mask that fit your face.

How to test a good fitting mask?

Put the mask on your face (don't put on the strap) and inhale and hold from your nose. If the mask stays there, it is a good fitting.

If it keeps dropping off, either your hair is in between the mask or does not fit your face. Try a different one.

I prefer the shop called Raymond as they have from the (good and cheap) to the (Best and expensive).

You can also buy your snorkle and fins there too.

• SRC Member

if u r not using it too often or for diving and just for pleasure snorkelling w family, economical buy is in carrefour.... not the best but would works good....

yazid,

btw, is it raymond or richmond in concourse??? i got my fins, booties and bag there as well, and they r worth a visit as they would be glad to help and explain things to u so u would know what u need...

heard from lester u got ur dream regs :D cheers to that and hopefully i can get it as well soon....

• SRC Member
i got my fins, booties and bag there as well, and they r worth a visit as they would be glad to help and explain things to u so u would know what u need...

heard from lester u got ur dream regs :D cheers to that and hopefully i can get it as well soon....

I knew you get from Richmond, you had the same dive bag as mine. :P

Apollo Bio Regulator. Say goodbye to dry air.

Anyway, I haven't got it yet. Just love to have moist air during a dive.

I hate dry air. Keep my mouth dry and difficult to swallow saliva.

During the last dive, I keep coughing under water. :lol:

• SRC Member
Apollo Bio Regulator. Say goodbye to dry air.

Anyway, I haven't got it yet. Just love to have moist air during a dive.

I hate dry air. Keep my mouth dry and difficult to swallow saliva.

i know what u mean... Apollo... cool regs... did u get the filter as well?

I'm not so rich.. only thinking of Sherwood Oasis... although i prefer MK25/S600... :lol: can only dream of SP regs now.. sigh.. regs that suit my wallet are sherwood..

To me, to own a set of regs, maintenance is the real killer.. Thus, still looking ard for the regs.. Regs are a one time purchase, that is no upgrading; but maintenance and servicing is the real killer... :(

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
Well this might not be very helpful but the last time I went snorkelling, I rented the gear but it was so uncomfortable that I ditched it and went for my normal goggles instead. Held my breath and swam around... so much better....

Oh rented a lifejacket too so that I won't have to waste too much energy keeping afloat...

I experienced the same as well.... once I dive in, water starts to slowely fill my mask and have to surface ferquently.. :(

My head is pretty big (known as Lion Head when I was young) thus probably need XL size... :D

Yazid - thanks for the tip on trying on a mask. Will do that...

Goggles - will fit better but I think viewing wise is restricted and not as clear as a mask.

• SRC Member

if u want to get a mask with large view.. consider getting Tusa M14 Visulator. Me using that..

:P

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
if u want to get a mask with large view.. consider getting Tusa M14 Visulator. Me using that..

:P

You could also buy a cheap normal mask and bring a magnifying glass. You can see macro organism. :P

• SRC Member

on top of my M14, i bring a magnifying glass down.. hahaha.

• SRC Member
on top of my M14, i bring a magnifying glass down.. hahaha.

Get a periscope. You can even see what's behind you.. :off:

• SRC Member

try to get those with splash guard... it will cut down on the water flowing down the tube...

There is one that covers the air tube should u submerge and clear the air tube when u surface