New 20G nano setup

• SRC Member

Bro, ur skimmer should go to the middle or if possible first section of ur sump. This is avoid getting micro bubbles into ur display. Putting ur skimmer in middle or  first compartment, at least there's a baffle to trap the bubbles.

Thanks bro, I didn't even think of that. But if i put the skimmer in the middle, along with my macro algae and pods, will they get trapped by the skimmer?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

yup, agree with bro Admiraltian, try avoid having the skimmer at the last section as the skimmed water tends to have some degree of microbubbles. This may prevail even after the skimmer's beak-in period. Having the skimmer in the earlier sections help with bubble trapping; if need be, can put some filter floss to diffuse the bubbles further. How about from L-R - pump with bioballs, scrubber, skimmer.

Btw, interesting baffle design - with the baffle height almost half of the tank height, how to ensure water flows down to the bottom of each section & up again to maximize the entire section height?

• SRC Member

Hi bro, haven't tried it out yet, will let you all set the results when I do! Am consolidating all the required equipment before I start filling this thing up as my rack is kind of near the wall and will be a pain to readjust later. Thanks all for the advice

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

why all the photos are gone? o.o

Display tank+ Build in sump : 24" x 15 x 13 (6mm High Clarity Low Iron Glass ) Nuvo Nano 20

Lightings : Innovative marine skyy light (6x3 watt) x 2

Chiiler : Hailea HS 28a (set @26 C)

skimmer : innovative Ghost protein skimmer

Reactor : coming soon .. :)

Wave Maker : Boyu wave maker wm 15

• SRC Member

Just a quick update, my tank is finally up and running, into first week of cycle. As advised, I ditched the idea of growing chaeto and pods in the internal sump area and will replace with an external breeder box in due time. Using a mix of live and dry rock with Caribsea live sand and tried to aquascape the best I could... Read up on aquascape tips and came up with this setup, but somehow it just doesn't look right. Was going for a typical shelf look by stacking rocks in 321 formation and irregular depth to hopefully create something a bit more natural, but something seems missing. Hmm

e92083cf64e4328105634ad74045967b.jpg4e8d479f5fc4e86046d0325598644b41.jpgc23f42b099b739739d67872715e808c3.jpg

• SRC Member

I think the central top piece which is a flat rock glued to a support looks super weird but will be a good perch for corals if I decide to move my corals in here. Perhaps it needs to be moved elsewhere. It now looks like a strange watchtower when placed in the centre...

• SRC Member

I know what's missing..... CORALS!!

bro your center piece looks fine, IMO it's gonna look complete once you start putting frags there & they grow out to be colonies 

• SRC Member

Hopefully haha. My tuxedo urchin is a bulldozer, he rams everything down in my current tank because I just anyhow stacked my rocks loosely. Learnt my lesson so I try to keep everything tightly locked by jamming small rocks into the corners to stabilize the structures

• SRC Member

Latest update, I just bought a bunch of live rock and livestock from a friendly bro who is giving up the hobby. Among his live rock I spotted a dead goniopora skeleton and decided to put it into my tank anyway... And I saw this when I turned on the LED

a9f0bf14674bdd4a92e8b01a1cd5f0df.jpg

Does that mean the gonio is still alive?? It's still glows very nicely. Any bros here have experience reviving almost dead LPS? Omg this is exciting hahaha. I feel so swakoo

• SRC Member

Cool! The allure of live rock.. My thoughts are as long as still glowing or with coloration, the coral is still alive.... I'm trying to revive a lobo too, also found inside live rock

give your gonio low light first then see if its extends out gradually? Then slowly start feeding once stable

pls keep us updated!

• SRC Member

Thanks for the offer bro, but I feel paiseh lah haha. Anyway! Does this look like progress ?? The flesh started extending

d4cafe218d5042d02d307647ea79b89e.jpg

Also picked up some sun corals from a generous bro. Gonna take up the challenge of nursing them all back to full glory

a752bead0b923c660476258015e1c4da.jpg

• SRC Member
Beautiful sun coral !

Ya Sun corals really nice.. Like sun flower. Keep feeding them and make them spawn more heads.. 

Thanks all for the encouragement!

• SRC Member

Update for today. Some of my new friends.

Marbled shrimp (super hard to catch them when the light is on!)

a427ff03ffcf3101e5de19b1421b0ecb.jpg

0709517a282754dce72f55a4075aaddc.jpg

Yellow angel and his sailfin tang buddy. They share seaweed every day

a56dc7626d56a92f62803ba7cc18857a.jpg

a91e8d18c10e927dfa23df51a2f986d5.jpg

ac845860907b069f4e94cd644ceb3004.jpg174ae0eeca431232169c5f7564c33239.jpg

• SRC Member

Thanks for the kind words! Currently shifting my office tank livestock back home, will update once stabilized. Sadly I always fail at scaping and will probably lump everything together in an ugly way lol

• SRC Member

Something random... Did a time lapse of sun coral feeding because it didn't seem like they were doing anything. 30 mins compressed into 6 seconds, suddenly i see them slurping it up like eating spaghetti lol

Edited by tuajia
typo