HELP with Jewel Stone Coral

• SRC Member

Hi reefers today I went to pacific reef and bought my first coral for my FOWLR tank,jewel stone coral.I have 2 questions as this is my first time trying to keep corals,any kind advise will be appreciated.

1) I found out that there are 2 bold patches on the jewel stone coral which doesn't seems that it would grow again or rather dead spots.Is it normal that every coral have this problem?

2) Where should I place the jewel stone coral?On top of my live rock which is nearer to my light or on the sand bed would be better?

Thank you.

• SRC Member

Fowlr tank sounds like a bad idea because of salinity and not reef safe fishes.

I place them on sand bed.

The bald patches. My experience is it slowly spreads and went bald. They are not the easiest coral to keep. But that is my newbie experience.

• SRC Member

Hi Rayl meaning to say that the bald patches will eventually cause the whole coral to become bald and die off no matter what?My salinity is 1.025 is it not suitable for coral?My tank got only 4 residents inside yellow tang,blue tang,majestic angel & flame angel but so far they did not disturb the coral.

• SRC Member

1.025 is ok. Technically with the gonio your tank will be class as reef tank.

My experience was the bald patch just couldnt recover despite a few coral chemical dips. I saw some worms feeding on it. The tentacles never got extended.

If you google online, you will learn that this coral is quite difficult. Search for goniopora coral.

• SRC Member

Hi RayL I had googled about this goniopora coral also call the flower pot coral.Indeed it's not easy to keep and sad to say it have a short lifespan of not more than a year.Haiz really sad & regret to get it as I am new to coral that,s why I just bought from a display tank in pacific reef.

• SRC Member

Suggest you can refer to many reef threads start by fellow reefers. Can learn from them too.

I have better luck with hammer and they are nice looking coral. Add in a couple of clownfish and its perfect.

Enjoy watching them bua the hammer head everyday and night.

I have very limited experience, but so far, zoanthus and briareum. As far as the water parameters are alright, with good lighting, they will be happy.

New Hobby lah - discovering...learning fast (or at least trying to learn fast)

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Bro depends on size and shipment from. I bought 2 different hammers from ah beng. 1 cost under 2 red notes another cost under 3 red notes.

3 notes is pink with purple tip while 2 notes is the usual brown color hammer. Hope this helps.