diy skimmer

newbie andy

• SRC Member

Nice! Wanted to try this too last time.

In the end didn't cos I didn't have an effective way of drawing new unskimmed water into the chamber.

You are using sander airstone right? After awhile must change out the stone I think 

how's your skimate like btw?

• SRC Member

Bro i was wondering how do you remove the skimmate? If you detached your 'top cover' won't your skimate flow back to the tank ? You can drain your skimmate by drilling a hole at the side and connect to a connecting  draining tube

• SRC Member

If your skimmer produces so much skimmate, it's pretty much wet skimming. Your liquid should be tea or greenish colored. That's really effective to remove particles but also removes too much water. Try to go for a very dry foam by raising the skimmer or more bubbles. Mine fills up every 4-5 days

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Pic of the skimmate. After I lower my air pump power since dis afternoon.

As for the skimmate, I using small bottles so that I can remove the whole skimmer to clean. Now I find for a rubber ring that can be put as a stopper to stop the tube. So I just need to remove the top to clear off

20151108_222211.jpg

• SRC Member

Tua jia thks I life higher to up already wait till later on for results.

Jmw as long as the diffuser is within the bottle the bubbles will not be free in the tank that much.

Inwear actually I wanted to do that so the skimmate will flow out, but I still trying out to see the result den will mod it again.