Rusty door hinges

• SRC Supporter

My cabinet door hinges are rusting beyond hope.

What's the best practice to prevent/minimize rusting?

Also, are there better grade hinges available? (eg stainless steel? Or any shop that sells better grade ones?)

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Supporter

You either oiled it, paint it or change to stainless steel hinges. I remember vincent from Aquarium artist used to sell those, maybe you can try checking with him and see. Hope it helps

• SRC Supporter

I believe that oiling & greasing it is a common practice but worried it'll get messy. 

Not easy to find the 'typical design' 316 SS hinges. The more common 304SS will rust after a while. I'll make some calls. 

The Neverwet liquid repellent idea sounds interesting, any thoughts on how long it'll last? 

Other options :

- Easier to find a "butt hinge" in 316SS. This is the type of hinge typically used for main doors in houses. Downside is that there will be a bigger gap on the cabinet door if a mortise is not cut

- Paint. Think i saw some pics in the members section with painted hinges.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Will regularly spraying WD40 work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes it will. try getting this brand called "Hafele" for hinges. Solid quality. pricy though, if i remember is $12 each.

Bros, give you all a hassle free method... apply Vaseline onto it. $2.35 bottle from Guardian/ NTUC... and don't kiasu on the amount applied. Just scoop one big glug of it and apply it generously all over the hinge... redo this method whenever you feel you have wet the hinge and reapply.. very clean very hassle free... plus moisturize your fingers too :)

I can try shoot a picture of my hinges tonight... minimal rusting... rusting was due to previous accidents of failed pipes etc... and my cabinet has been with me >1 year...

• Like 1

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Bros, give you all a hassle free method... apply Vaseline onto it. $2.35 bottle from Guardian/ NTUC... and don't kiasu on the amount applied. Just scoop one big glug of it and apply it generously all over the hinge... redo this method whenever you feel you have wet the hinge and reapply.. very clean very hassle free... plus moisturize your fingers too :)

I can try shoot a picture of my hinges tonight... minimal rusting... rusting was due to previous accidents of failed pipes etc... and my cabinet has been with me >1 year...

thanks for the suggestion! To add on, I also use vaseline to coat on the shaft for my wavemaker, return pump and skimmer pump everytime i clean them. Have been doing it for many years.

Tank: 3.5ft x 2ft x 1.5ft, 12mm

Sump: 3ft

Skimmer: Bubble Magus Curve 7

Lightings: Maxspect 15000k

Return Pump: Eheim 1252

Wavemaker: Jebao WP25, Jebao RW-8