How to raise calcium level

• SRC Member

To all reefers out there, pls help.

I have low calcium problem ever since i first tested it last November. Until today, my calcium is still about 320mg, despite all my effort, n i m running out of ideas.

Things that i have tried:

From last Nov to Dec - dose Kent liquid calcium (about 2 capful each time, twice a week. Did not does more because the product was new to me and i m afraid to overdose.)

Dec to Jan - dose Kent liquid reactor (1 capful a day, for about 2 weeks)

Jan 22 to now - drip Seachem Kalkwasser ( replace evaproated water with kalkwasser drip.)

Checked calcium level on 30 Jan, still 320mg

What can i do next? :(:(

Awaiting for replys :bow::bow:

• SRC Member

Have u tried Kent Turbo calcium?

I heard the liquid stuff is not as concentrated as powder form.

Kalkwasser is for maintaining calcium level, not really used for raising calcuim level.

I have a lot of hardcorals also and the calcium intake is pretty high. I am dosing every alternate days. So am looking for a calcium reactor now it less tedious.

• SRC Member

Hi TTBoy,

Thank u for your reply. Is Sealife selling Kent turbo calcium? If it is, I shall go n get 1 tomorrow.

By the way, is calcium reactor the answer to my problem also? Tanzy mentioned that calcium reactor is not so user friendly, what are your views? Do let me know when if u find any good reactor, I may want to get one for myself, maybe can get a better offer by buying 2 pcs.

:thanks:

• SRC Member

.... as i c it .... it could either be your tester ( i'm using salifert ) or could be your actual calcium in the water is really at that level .... than would advise dosing with kalk .... ( which you are doing ) but how often are you doing it and in what proportions? actually 320 ppm is not that bad ... juz got to know that the recommended dosage on the kalk bottle is recommended to maintain a certain level of calcium n not increase it ... hence you have to use more in order to increase the calcium in your water .... i had that problem before too .... but now pretty much resolve as i dose kalk twice a week and in between those 2 days ... dose with builder ... to maintain alk ....

• SRC Member

Hi mv3i,

I suspected the test kit before, used Kwik Kit & Sera, bear same result.

Regarding your suggestion to increase the kalk dosage, I don't quite understand ( i'm new to kalkwasser). I thought kalkwasser is prepared to the saturated point, which means, more dosage of kalkwasser powder beyond the saturated point is not going to make any difference (correct me if i m wrong). I m now adding about 1 litre of kalkwasser mix every night (that's my evopration rate), My question is how can I increase kalkwasser dosage when i can only add 1 litre of water per day? :thanks::thanks:

• SRC Member

Hi Norman,

I'm using SeaChem Reef Complete for my calcium.

In the bottle, it actually has the formula to work out how much to add to raise X meg/l of calcium.

For example, for my 30 gallon, 15 ml of reef complete will raise about 20 mg/l of calcium.

It even has warning like not to raise more than 25 mg/l per day.

My starting level is also 325.

Each dose of 15ml will raise 20 ml/l

My target is 425, so I required 5 doses of 15ml each.

I spread my 5 doses over approx 2 weeks to achieve 425.

I hope Kent Marine have similar instruction.

This way is better than agar agar cause u never know u might dosing just enough to cover your tank's calcium intake rate. That's why constant 325.

If I understand correctly, its only once you achieve your desired calcium rate, then start dosing Kalk to maintain.

My 2 cents

:)

• SRC Member

:D:D:D

NormanH,

I see you have the complete opposite problem that I had previously... ;)

I hear Magnesium plays a part in buffering calcium level. Have u tried Kent Tech M(M=Magnusium I suppose)?I dun know Sea Life sells them, but I got my Tech M from the States...if you like to try and Sealife do not sell, I can spare you some :eyebrow:

I am using Tech CB(Calcium Buffer) too...it helps to increase calcium level and at the same time stabilised the dKH :huh: Sealife is selling Tech CB...I am very sure about this

If you wanna try Tech M, u can always PM me

• SRC Member

Norman,

What's your alk and pH reading? Do you dose Magnesium and test for it? Depressed calcium levels may be due ot low magnesium concentration in the water. Normal is about 1350 ppm. If you don't want to dose magnesium, then I'll suggest that you do a massive water change instead of just trying to bump calcium up with additives. You will find that it solves the problem fast and is cheaper.

Next is to found out how saturated is your kalkwasser? Unsaturated kalkwasser has a pitiful amount of dissolved calcium (~6 ppm at pH 10!!!). How do you mix up your kalkwasser? I'll suggest that you measure the pH of the kalkwasser, it should be >12.

If you have only 1L of evaporation a day and kalkwasser top up is unable to meet your tank requirement, you'll need to get a calcium reactor. Before you decide to get a ca reactor, rule out the possibility of other problems first.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Thank you guys for all the advice. Will see what suits me most.

Dodo, Thanks for your offer to let me try your Tech M. Will pm you if I need it. :thanks:

Tanzy Posted on Feb 4 2003, 12:00 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Norman,

What's your alk and pH reading? Do you dose Magnesium and test for it? Depressed calcium levels may be due ot low magnesium concentration in the water. Normal is about 1350 ppm. If you don't want to dose magnesium, then I'll suggest that you do a massive water change instead of just trying to bump calcium up with additives. You will find that it solves the problem fast and is cheaper.

Next is to found out how saturated is your kalkwasser? Unsaturated kalkwasser has a pitiful amount of dissolved calcium (~6 ppm at pH 10!!!). How do you mix up your kalkwasser? I'll suggest that you measure the pH of the kalkwasser, it should be >12.

• SRC Member

KH of 7 is a bit low. You must increase the amount of kalkwasser top up. The low KH can also result in low calcium if the calcium level is maintained by kalkwasser. It indicates that the kalkwasser is insufficient to meet the needs of the system.

You need to drip more kalkwasser by increasing evaporation using more fans or check that the kalkwasser is saturated. I can't be sure that just having ppt means saturation, better check the pH to be sure. I find that 12.4 is a good pH for saturated kalk, adding more is just waste.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

NormanH, did u check wif Sea Life whether they sell Tech M?

Seachem magnesium is a solution too...but I seldom see it around LFS...or maybe I didn't notice it as I am more used to Kent products :(

I thk brand of salt also play a part in the magnesium level becos some salt in order to make it dissolve easier, the manufacturer actually compromise the magnesium quantity in their making of their synthethic salt :unsure:

• SRC Member

Will go n buy Kent Tech M or seachem magnesium to day. I think I ever see seachem magnesium in the shop at Pasir Ris, Downtown East (forgot the name). :thanks:

Dodo, just for infor, I tested Kent salt yesterday (guess u r using Kent salt, since u use Kent products alot) Not bad: 1200mg. :look:

• SRC Member

hehe...i never really test my magnesium level :P test kits too expensive :ph34r:

since i switch to Kent...i thk nothing major happened except for my high calcium(which i had solved thry increased turnover rate)

i thk the recommended level for mag is 1250mg to 1350mg....but NSW have a level of only 1200mg(i thk) :D same for calcium...NSW calcium level only 370ppm as compared to our tank of 400ppm-450ppm

• SRC Member
btw....i am not advertising for Sea Life hor...hate some people there :angry::angry::angry: Ah Tan is ok...the rest like F...*ahem*

tat's y i insist on buying Kent from overseas :P

Agree. Ah Tan is the most friendly there, and sam ........ no comment ..... give up.

But, sometimes also need to talk to him (bobian) because he seems to be more knowlegable than Ah Tan (dilemma)

dino07.gif

• SRC Member

SI LIAO LAH, read the instruction on the newly bought seachem reef advantage magnesium, it says 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons to raise the level by 5mg. Mine is 120 gallons and magnesium level now at 720mg. To raise it to 1300mg, I will need almost 700 teaspoons, that is 3.5 kg of reef magnesium (12 bottles) :cry::cry2::( The wrost thing is, it also say should not raise more than 25mg/day, that means i will need to dose for 24 days to see result n each dose is 30 TEASPOONS!!! Can that be ture? :cry2::cry2:

I think i m going mad already. :sick::yeah::upsidedown::ph34r::pinch: