Ich medication - recommendations

• SRC Member
I have my first ich outbreak this morning. Affected a regal blue tang. Would like to hear which medication you have good experience with.

Thanks

I think this is a commonly repeated subject..

Maybe you can click on the search button on the top right hand corner and search for ich?

There will be tons for you to read about..

:P

• SRC Member

best advise to put your sick fish in QT,slowly bring down the salinity to 1.009 and feed it with garlic juice

2ft cube with 2.5 sump

400w MH with 6 x 24w blue T5

Hydor wavemaker controller

Aquatronica controller

Daikin compressor with double coil

RM CR

H&S out sump skimmer

Thanks for the replies. Garlic seem to be the winner. I thought of using copper treatment but figured it will be impossible to remove the fish in a 4x2x2 with lots of holes/caves etc. I've started soaking food in garlic that I minced and squeeze fresh - always prefer the natural ones rather than buy commercial ones .

I don't have a pic to share - working in the day and classes at night - but the fish will tend to have white dots on the body and fins and also tend to graze against rocks.

Frequent outbreak of ICH always means there is one or more underlying problem. From my experience, its usually because of pH swings. Check your KH and it should be 8-10. Anything less than 7 means your pH will be dropping by night and bouncing back by daytime. Inadequate gas exchange (ie. exessive CO2) is always the cause of constant low KH. Add Kalk to bump up KH and review your filtering setup to encourage more gas exchange.

Sometimes adding new fish or LR can also bring in new outbreak of ICH. If you can, put new fish/LR/corals in hospital tank for at least 2 weeks before introducing into main tank ( I have one 3' main tank and one 2' hospital tank. Hospital tank is maintained on long term basis..not to be torn down and re-setup).

:idea::idea::yeah:

Hey, just want to thank all for the great suggestions. My regal blue is free from ich now - looks like I will be able to transfer my naso from the QT this weekend after spending 4 weeks there.

Blue Tang, checked kh - 11 - should be OK. Gas exchange should be alright too - overflow chamber is a 2ft waterfall and I have a 1200 litre/hr pump driving a venturi-style PS.

Thanks again.