Algae on the glass

chocolate98

• SRC Member

Hello I was wondering what are the best cleanup crew to eat away the algae on the glass and that they are reef safe? I tried those turbo snails but after a while they just die off so I was looking at a long term solution...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

The best way is to clean off the algae using either an algae scraper or a magnet cleaner or a sponge. Algae eaters don't eat every algae and those that grow on glass are usually the red slime known as Cyanobacteria. Over time, you'll want to just clean it off rather than depend on algae eaters that move about randomly.

Sofishticated Friend

• SRC Member

Do any of you all clean algae off your glass & notice that your SPS show feeding response after that with the cloudy water?

Well technically, it's a type of phytoplankton rite?

• SRC Member
ouh okay thanks! but where to get an abalone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1db10967afdacccb3bb593b1ddab996b.jpg

Lol sorry I couldn't help it

But I heard some bros going to Sheng Shiong live seafood section to buy. I also saw a few at Coral Farm, but that was some time ago.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member
Do any of you all clean algae off your glass & notice that your SPS show feeding response after that with the cloudy water?

Well technically, it's a type of phytoplankton rite?

Not just sps, even my favites and sun coral get a reaction. I think as long there's something edible in the water, they will react. Sometimes when I blast dirt off the rock they also become excited

• SRC Member

Not just sps, even my favites and sun coral get a reaction. I think as long there's something edible in the water, they will react. Sometimes when I blast dirt off the rock they also become excited

yeah when blasting detritus off the rocks, bacteria & micro fauna is cast into the water column where our corals can have buffet