Reidi seahorse with other seahorse.

evanscence

Hi guys

happened to see the Reidi seahorse during the weekend and was very tempted to get one 2. Let say if we mix the reidi seahorse with other seahorse like the yellow seahorse. Will one of the type change colour to attract the other.......i seen my black seahorse change colour to yellowish to attrat the yellow SH b4....THanks alots :D

Hi,

Avoid mixing reidi to other species. This is due to diseases which our local SH carries which might spread to it. For example, barbouri( Yellow SH) are prone to pop eye. Tigertail and kuda are prone to flesh erosion and snout rot. Its best to have a tank-only reidi as a reidi cost 10-15 times compare to normal ones. Its better to be safe than sorry. I am sure other SH keeper mixed other SH with reidi with success. But once disease strike, good luck to your investment. IMHO, reidi SH are hardy than local SH. I have two tank, one which house 3 pair of reidi and the other kuda & barbouri.

• SRC Member

guess...if you dun know a person...it's better not to comment too much...chimo...as I believe is also a seahorse enthusiast and so is ace... ;)

Have you seen his self-collected notes on seahorses? :shock:

Have you seen his seahorse encyclopedia? :o

Have you seen the types of medicine he has to treat their diseases? :huh:

Do you know that he did successfully bred some? :yeah:

Do you know that he went to a carpenter and bought his own durable wood and made his own cabinet and tank so as to house his seahorses? :bow:

Up to now...still waiting to see if he will help me make one or not... :P

So no hard feelings...bro...just hoping to see some reflection of words... :P

but then hor...I also not saying ace knows everything...wait he will kill me for saying so... :lol: Just that he talked substance about seahorse back then... :lol:

• SRC Member

bro 19, flubberina sis is rite, acedophin is more experinece with sh than i am, there's another sh lover, Real... both of them r more like pioneer of the sh forum... :) as for me, i still got a lot to learn.....

sorry evanscence bro, this thread getting more :off: liao, my advice is better to keep them in a specis tank, than to mix a few specis of sh together, like ace said local sh may spread diease to other specis, i personally lost 10 kudas to flesh erosion, some of which i kept for 4 mths! :( very heart breaking to c healthy sh die becos of some carriers..... :cry2:

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

• SRC Member

no worries sis, more importantly we need more advice from each other, so to make sh keeping more easier.... ;)

I gotta feeling..Woo...hoo....That tonight's gonna be a good night.....That tonight's gonna be a good, good night!

Hi flubberina13,

Thanks for jumping to my defence, but no need to take people comment so seriously lah :D:D . Forum is for sharing of knowledge and experience so that beginner can jumpstart and avoid pitfall. Didn't know that you record a detail event about me :paiseh::paiseh: . Maybe my post of only 48 doesn't justified my comment compare to 500+ post. Mine will still most likely hover around the two digit post in months to come. My reply is rather straight forward, that is, post that are not often ask will get reply, those that can be found in back issues and yet the poster is lazy to search, I just pass it unless he/she quote the previous issues and ask question about it. When I started out on SH(2 yrs+ back), I went to the Seahorse.org and start reading the archives from day 1(beginning) onwards.Till this day, I am not an expert though.

Chinmo, I know it painful to lose your stock of 10 kuda especially if they are feed on frozen. It's a common mistake to keep on adding SH whenever you can find it during new shipment at LFS or farms. And Kuda are rare to find unlike tigertail. Unless you have a quarantine tank and is willing to wait 2wks before adding to main tank. Why 2 wks? From my experience, 2 wks is the time before the SH start to waste away without feeding, disease/virus will attack it during this time, that where disease spread. FW dip(about 4-5 min) also helps before adding to Q-tank, you will see a number of parasite creature falling off the SH. Hence if you add the newly bought SH to main tank immediately, most likely after a few weeks, you will see the out-break of disease. Isolate suspected SH immediately if you sense any abnormal sight/feature, this will prevent spreading of disease.

Hi all, thanks for all the advise.. it been really helpful and i truly appreciate it....looking at chimno bro paradise, i was so inspired...so currently planning for a sh tank as well....but i guess since itt not so advisable to keep different species....i will keep a pair of reidi with some predator fish like lionfish....is that a gd idea....

• SRC Member

thanks evanscence bro, but lately found that my new tank a bit 2 big for the sh! they can't seem to feed enough! maybe due to 2 much space! :(

lions.... maybe those small or dwarf specis ba.... but scared wait the spike poke the sh! :unsure:

• SRC Member

Hi Chinmo,

how are you! :D U might want to add another feeding station. If not, add parition to cut dwn the space in yr tank & train the Redi real hard to only feed from the dish. After going through BDF training, remove the parition.

ermmm...how many redi you got now??? 8? 12? U still want the OF box??

Hi acedoplin,

long time no see since the last aquarama. Hope things are doing well for you.

Cheers!

Wei :)

• SRC Member
:whistle mr wei finally appear! hw u man! yah i still want it jus keep it for me, will get from u when i;m free! <_< hwave 12 for the moment :evil: think i settle down at that no... till i have more improvements in my sh keeping! :lol:

• SRC Member

thanks bro wei! need to get more! my reidi paradise turing into hair algae paradise! <_<

Thanks ace bro, i learn the hard way.. :( next time must surly gurantee the sh first be4 intro to tanks! ;)

bro evanscence, u getting reidi?