Nice addtion to tank other than corals?

Virus

• SRC Member

I understand FOWLR tanks is a bit dull compared to those with corals. Recently my tank crash and i've decided to stick to non-coral tanks for now.. basically.. a tank which livestock dun have to depend on lights to survive or thrive ( great lower mantiance now w/o those pesky algae growth).

SO what do you guys add to tank to make it look interesting? SO far i've damsel and FD in it.... i was thinking of lobster... anything else you guys have done i can consider to have a more colourful and lively look?

• SRC Member

What's FD?

Given the size of your tank as seen from the URL in your signature, n terms of fish you can consider keeping a pair of true percula or false percula clownfish. I've got 1 blue damselfish and 1 false percula clownfish in my 2ft tank, both are always swimming around during the day, makes the tank look quite lively.

How about shrimps? Like cleaner shrimps, they do make an interesting addition to a fishtank. I've got a pair in my tank and they are always seen in the open.

• SRC Member

FD is feather duster worm I guess..

perhaps you want to keep low light demanding corals like sponges. Someone here said he has few sponges which is hidden from direct lights and is growing.. Just feed them with plankton food coupled with water currents.

Yes.. shrimps are good additions to your tank. Get fire shrimps to liven up the colour. Lobsters then to hide alot so dun suggest that. They hide so much, only time you get to see them is the first day..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

maybe can try sun coral as well. they dun require much lights....... :) i put the sun coral in a shaded region of my reef tank. so far so good. but they need target feeding on each polyps.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

Ahh sponges.. but i heard they're quite hard to keep...will read up more on it... shrimps... yes i've thought of it too... however, my LR has a lot of crabs aroundbut so far not much harm done to my fishes.

But.. i understand shrimps do drop their shell to grow from time to time. Wouldn't it be very dangeroius to be eaten by crabs during that vunerable period?

• SRC Member
Ahh sponges.. but i heard they're quite hard to keep...will read up more on it... shrimps... yes i've thought of it too... however, my LR has a lot of crabs aroundbut so far not much harm done to my fishes.

But.. i understand shrimps do drop their shell to grow from time to time. Wouldn't it be very dangeroius to be eaten by crabs during that vunerable period?

its not hard to keep.. more on hard to transport.. once in contact with air for very long, they start to die off. It may take a week or 2 to notice its dying.

So its like trial and error when you are getting one coz you never know how these sponges are transported. If you get a good one then shouldn't be a big problem.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

• SRC Member

I've seen harlequin shrimps fight after they molt.. :P .. but no harm done..

they are not that vulnerable..

• SRC Member

anything that is fake = algae growth on them.

true.. I've seen tanks displaying fake corals usually have algae on them.

• SRC Member

Ekkk i dun like the idea of having fake stuff in my tank. .. so far i keep pets i try to make their habitat as natural as possible.. tortoise, scopions, etc...

Thks for all the wonderful feedback and suggestions.. i think I may be going for sponges(so many colour ( ^^ ) ) and perhaps 1 shrimp.

I've tried mushroom b4.. they're actually quite dependant on light to do well although they're quite easy to keep still. Think i'll pass on that.

Once i manage to get hold of some colourful sponges i'll try to take a nice pic and see how it turn out. :yeah:

• SRC Member
FD is feather duster worm I guess..

perhaps you want to keep low light demanding corals like sponges. Someone here said he has few sponges which is hidden from direct lights and is growing.. Just feed them with plankton food coupled with water currents.

Yes.. shrimps are good additions to your tank. Get fire shrimps to liven up the colour. Lobsters then to hide alot so dun suggest that. They hide so much, only time you get to see them is the first day..

Dont feed ur lobster and you will see them crawling everywhere.......hehe, however also be prepared to see empty snails shells.

For colours, I suggest buttons.......buttons rocks stag nicely and closely will give a color effect when they open up.....esp. so under actinic lightings.

• SRC Member
Dont feed ur lobster and you will see them crawling everywhere.......hehe, however also be prepared to see empty snails shells.

yeah.. they'll run around looking for food if they are hungry but very rarely. Usually run out when lights off.

& they dun kill snails.. <_<

• SRC Member
yeah.. they'll run around looking for food if they are hungry but very rarely. Usually run out when lights off.

& they dun kill snails.. <_<

Not too sure about lobsters, but I certainly saw my boxer feeding on 1 of my zebra hermits some weeks ago... :cry2: