My little new 3 footer...

RAV-65

Day 21: Situation Report >

3 weeks into my Journey to kill the evil Sauron aka No3 and it's power has diminished to less than 20ppm... Almost a battle won as compared to the >100ppm reading I got previously...

However, the victims to the war hasn't totally recovered, namely my blastos and cyanrina.... The rest of the corals seems okay.... only the cyanrina seems a little too stressed with its skeleton showing... :(

Hopefully it can recover soon... :(

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After battling for 3 weeks, finally brought the no3 down, but the corals seems to be totally stressed out, the blastos have shrunk into their skeletons, the brain is almost brain dead, the cyanrina also all shrunk up with the skeletons protruding...

Half my octopus coral died and everything in my tank seems stressed out... :(

Very depressing and demoralising... :( Feel like just giving up and changing to a FOWLR... :(

The next few pics depicts the sorrow state my corals/tank is in... :(

post-34-1095528431.jpg

post-34-1105890976.jpg

don't be.

could be the corals getting used to a more pristine water condition! (=

Seems like they are receding bit by bit everyday... found of my blastos the flesh like torn, dunno wat happened... could it be my new hermit crab I bought as a cleaning crew?! :angry:

post-34-1095528716.jpg

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

Oh man... really sad for you too... I could try to put the corals in my tank for a "hospital" treatment if you want to try...

Oh man... really sad for you too... I could try to put the corals in my tank for a "hospital" treatment if you want to try...

Thanxs bro!! :bow:

Now trying to feed them abit of fod everything and there sems to be a little improvement... wil definitely contact u if I need help... :):thanks:

post-34-1105890976.jpg

War declared ended... Measured my no3 today, at 2ppm... :lol:

But corals have not recovered yet... suspect its my ozone now.... :angry:

Turning off ozone for the next 3 days to see if the corals health can improve... :)

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

wat a big headache...while trying to clean up the water (for your corals' sake), they did these to u.. :sick: .dunno wat they want also... :angry:

since water conditions have improved significantly, think they will recover in no time...think u might have overdone the process and done it too quickly, that's y they are so stressed...

remember the "SPS rtn when rowa is being used" saga? removing something that is considered toxic to them will kill them in the end....hai....

• SRC Member

have you consisdered it might be something else that is casing your coral to strink???? over a week to bring No3 from 100 to 2 ppm should not cause such a problem....how about the fishes in your tank.....

I had a problem once, when i manage to bring down No3 at the cost of increasing the baterials, which in turn resulted in a decrease in O2....my clams and fishes started to behaves strangely and after a death of 1 of my fish i realise what when wrong....added in a air pump and everything seems to recovered (so i guess it O2 depletion...)....

not too sure if you are facing the same problem as me so how this little bit of info helps....

wat a big headache...while trying to clean up the water (for your corals' sake), they did these to u.. :sick: .dunno wat they want also... :angry:

since water conditions have improved significantly, think they will recover in no time...think u might have overdone the process and done it too quickly, that's y they are so stressed...

remember the "SPS rtn when rowa is being used" saga? removing something that is considered toxic to them will kill them in the end....hai....

Yeah, no choice at this point of time.... will start athering new corals when the water stablises... u r right, could have removed the no3 too quickly and maybe used too much AZ-No3 in the process... :angry:

post-34-1105890976.jpg

have you consisdered it might be something else that is casing your coral to strink???? over a week to bring No3 from 100 to 2 ppm should not cause such a problem....how about the fishes in your tank.....

I had a problem once, when i manage to bring down No3 at the cost of increasing the baterials, which in turn resulted in a decrease in O2....my clams and fishes started to behaves strangely and after a death of 1 of my fish i realise what when wrong....added in a air pump and everything seems to recovered (so i guess it O2 depletion...)....

not too sure if you are facing the same problem as me so how this little bit of info helps....

Hmm... would try the airpump method... the fishes are okay ... only the corals stressed... Still cant figure out why.... :(

Thanxs for the hint!! :thanks:

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

Hmm... would try the airpump method... the fishes are okay ... only the corals stressed... Still cant figure out why.... :(

Thanxs for the hint!! :thanks:

but u already have a mighty beckett. :o ..so i dun think it will be an aeration issue.. ;) ..unless u are saying becketts dun generate enough air?? :lol::lol:

but u already have a mighty beckett. :o ..so i dun think it will be an aeration issue.. ;) ..unless u are saying becketts dun generate enough air?? :lol::lol:

Dat's wat I thought too, but since I ran out of ideas, might as well try... :P

post-34-1105890976.jpg

how bout water change??

since u suspect that it might be the az-no3?? maybe it will help to lessen the enzyme...

Did about 60L water change, equivalent to about 15% of my tank volume the past 2 days... today rest day for the tank... :lol: Will change another 30L maybe tmr... :) Hopefully it improves... :)

Thanxs for the tip bro!! :)

post-34-1105890976.jpg

Situation Report on corals in my tank :

The survivors : 1 green cateye bubble, 1 white cateye bubble, 3 rocks of blastos, all the mushies, 0.5 of my pink octo, some normal octo, 2 small brances of hammer, 1 huge leather coral, orange sun coral, yellow sun coral, 1 torch coral, 2 bunches of xenias... one small pinkish pearl bubble

Might lose : 3 rocks of blastos, 1 dark purple cyanrina, 1 red/metallic green brain,

Already lost : 3 cyanrinas

Added recently : 1 metallic green candy-cane coral, 1 rock of blastos, one orange fungia, 1 red lobo, 2 frags of SPS.

All the newly added corals seem to be thriving, only the injured corals still recovering...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

4gotten to add:

Discovered that my blue tang is attacking my corals, no choice but have to remove it... :(:nc:

Laid the beta box trap again and waited for more than 1 hour, watching my tank very closely, waiting for the BT to swim in... almost fell asleep!! Finally caught it after more than 1 hour... :(

Anyway, since I've been wanting to reduce the LS in my tank, this fella became the victim... May wanna catch my clown fish out too... Hopefully, this reduction in LS can bring down my nutrient level and my SPS can thrive... :)

The BT is currently for sale in Pasar Malam, so anyone interested can go read the thread... :nc:

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

All the best man!!! I hope your tank improves in due time and no more corals die...

• SRC Member
Situation Report on corals in my tank :

The survivors : 1 green cateye bubble, 1 white cateye bubble, 3 rocks of blastos, all the mushies, 0.5 of my pink octo, some normal octo, 2 small brances of hammer, 1 huge leather coral, orange sun coral, yellow sun coral, 1 torch coral, 2 bunches of xenias... one small pinkish pearl bubble

Might lose : 3 rocks of blastos, 1 dark purple cyanrina, 1 red/metallic green brain,

Already lost : 3 cyanrinas

Added recently : 1 metallic green candy-cane coral, 1 rock of blastos, one orange fungia, 1 red lobo, 2 frags of SPS.

All the newly added corals seem to be thriving, only the injured corals still recovering...

wanna tompang in my tank?? just suggesting...hehehehe....

Thanxs for the offer bro... dun wan to stress them further by transporting them around, anyway, the new corals are doing fine, so I guess the water is okay, now only gotta wait for the "injured" corals to recover!! :yeah:

post-34-1105890976.jpg