My Slice of Nature (Part 3)

SubzeroLT

• SRC Member
14 hours ago, SubzeroLT said:

Yes...nylon (cable tie) is generally inert & safe. Strong enough for this purpose.

Typical 304 Stainless steel clips & screws will leech nickel & chromium into your water when it corrodes. Not good.

316 Stainless steel can hold up to corrosion better.  316SS cable clips are not common though.

Thanks for the info on the leeching, learnt something today. Do let me know if you come across full SS ones!

Since im starting a new tank and looking at PH and temperature etc. Was also thinking if it makes more sense to get something i can upgrade in the future (modular). Also considering automatic dosing systems. Any recommendation for automatic dousing with probes? (meaning it will calculate and autodose?) Hope im not too shocked at the cost of one......lol

• SRC Supporter
2 hours ago, Jeebusai said:

Thanks for the info on the leeching, learnt something today. Do let me know if you come across full SS ones!

Since im starting a new tank and looking at PH and temperature etc. Was also thinking if it makes more sense to get something i can upgrade in the future (modular). Also considering automatic dosing systems. Any recommendation for automatic dousing with probes? (meaning it will calculate and autodose?) Hope im not too shocked at the cost of one......lol

I won't recommend getting 316 stainless steel ones as well. Its going to be very expensive & that level of clamping force is not required. Aside from cable ties, nylon clamps are a good option if you need things more secure.

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23427&catid=858

Monitoring temperature & tank pH is nice to have but not mandatory. Your chiller would already have a temperature display. Unless your chiller is out of sight, then have a separate temp probe/meter.

Tank pH is good info, but for most folks, would probably be in the normal range & not do anything. So its probably lower on the priority list for a start. 

Apex Neptune is supposedly coming out with a Trident module that can measure Ca, Mg, KH.  It was verbally mentioned as US$40 for 2 months' usage. Local prices are expected to be higher. Then with that measurement, you can use the Apex DOS system (need 2 sets of DOS) to dose supplements. No one knows the price of Trident but my rough guess is the full Apex system will probably set you back about S$3.5k-$4k. Don't get me wrong, the Apex is a fantastic tank controller & I'm a big advocate on such controllers to make reefing easier.

Personally i'm using the Alkatronic (current retail price is S$1399) that measures KH & able to auto dose KH. Reagent is also cheaper ($109 that can last about 1 years' worth of measurement). It can control the power to any dosing pump or calcium reactor that doses Ca, Mg, KH in a balanced way.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member
I won't recommend getting 316 stainless steel ones as well. Its going to be very expensive & that level of clamping force is not required. Aside from cable ties, nylon clamps are a good option if you need things more secure.
https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23427&catid=858

Monitoring temperature & tank pH is nice to have but not mandatory. Your chiller would already have a temperature display. Unless your chiller is out of sight, then have a separate temp probe/meter.
Tank pH is good info, but for most folks, would probably be in the normal range & not do anything. So its probably lower on the priority list for a start. 
Apex Neptune is supposedly coming out with a Trident module that can measure Ca, Mg, KH.  It was verbally mentioned as US$40 for 2 months' usage. Local prices are expected to be higher. Then with that measurement, you can use the Apex DOS system (need 2 sets of DOS) to dose supplements. No one knows the price of Trident but my rough guess is the full Apex system will probably set you back about S$3.5k-$4k. Don't get me wrong, the Apex is a fantastic tank controller & I'm a big advocate on such controllers to make reefing easier.

Personally i'm using the Alkatronic (current retail price is S$1399) that measures KH & able to auto dose KH. Reagent is also cheaper ($109 that can last about 1 years' worth of measurement). It can control the power to any dosing pump or calcium reactor that doses Ca, Mg, KH in a balanced way.

Thanks for the prompt and detailed reply bro. I will think I’m definitely priced out for apex.
From what I read, the alkatronic can do the dosing function at a fraction of the price. The apex cost more and functions like fully integrated control system for the home aquarium? Like lights, wavemaker, chiller control?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Supporter
6 hours ago, Jeebusai said:

Thanks for the prompt and detailed reply bro. I will think I’m definitely priced out for apex.
From what I read, the alkatronic can do the dosing function at a fraction of the price. The apex cost more and functions like fully integrated control system for the home aquarium? Like lights, wavemaker, chiller control?
Thanks

Most folks do not plug the lights directly to the Apex power bar as it may overload it. Most folks plug lights directly to a normal socket & use the original lights' app to manage light schedule. With an add on Apex WXM module, you can control Ecotech Vortech wavemaker & Radion lights (but not the Vectra pumps).

Apex can on/off wavemakers (for feed mode) but has limited control for other brands of wavemakers (eg Jebao & gyre). An add on modules is needed but some wave profiles may not be available. 

Apex is good for switching on/off motors or pumps when it detects leaks (additional ALM module needed) or CO2 solenoid based on the pH probe reading. i.e. automate things & trigger action based on timing, pH or temperature.

I'm using Ecotech Reeflink to control my wavemakers & return pumps as it offers better control.

My AI Hydra lights run independently.

Everything else is managed by Apex.

• SRC Member
Most folks do not plug the lights directly to the Apex power bar as it may overload it. Most folks plug lights directly to a normal socket & use the original lights' app to manage light schedule. With an add on Apex WXM module, you can control Ecotech Vortech wavemaker & Radion lights (but not the Vectra pumps).
Apex can on/off wavemakers (for feed mode) but has limited control for other brands of wavemakers (eg Jebao & gyre). An add on modules is needed but some wave profiles may not be available. 
Apex is good for switching on/off motors or pumps when it detects leaks (additional ALM module needed) or CO2 solenoid based on the pH probe reading. i.e. automate things & trigger action based on timing, pH or temperature.

I'm using Ecotech Reeflink to control my wavemakers & return pumps as it offers better control.
My AI Hydra lights run independently.
Everything else is managed by Apex.

Thanks bro. Really appreciate your insights on the the various gadgets and systems as a end user. Saved me many hours of surfing and still getting nowhere lol

I think I will settle with the basic stuff for now (new tank) and learn the basics along the way before I take the plunge! Cheers!

• SRC Supporter

Running the Continuum Power Cleanse - HM Heavy Metal the past 2 weeks. No negative impact to corals and seem to be getting better polyp extension with the milli colony. Unclear if its related to running this resin.

• SRC Supporter

DIY a breakout box for the Apex because i needed a very long cable.

In my opinion, not really worth the cost/effort. Quite troublesome to make. 

IMG_4869[1] (Large).jpg

HLOB8833[1] (Large).jpg

Other pics :

'Harvesting' pods & rotifers to feed the tank after lights off. Add together with about 1 cup of assorted phyto culture.

P1013272 (Large).jpg

• SRC Supporter

Some pics taken with yellow filter

P4220033 (Large).jpg

P4220041 (Large).jpg

P4220036 (Large).jpg

Using this thread to keep track of maintenance done. 

Replaced the CR media of the secondary chamber.  Original media was the finer grade type & got quite mushed up due to accidental low PH in the past. Replacing with larger sized Rowalith media.

P1013296 (Large).jpg

Calibrated all the pH probes : For Calcium reactor, Sump, Alkatronic & handheld one

IMG_4948[1] (Large).jpg

• Like 3

• SRC Supporter
23 minutes ago, Jeebusai said:

Very nice pic! Can show the filter ur using and where to buy? Thanks!

The one i'm using looks like this though other shapes & sizes area available.

Its commonly used for scuba diving underwater photography. Available at local photography shops or search for yellow lens filter on ebay.

s-l1600.jpg

• SRC Member
8 minutes ago, SubzeroLT said:

The one i'm using looks like this though other shapes & sizes area available.

Its commonly used for scuba diving underwater photography. Available at local photography shops or search for yellow lens filter on ebay.

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks for the promot reply....but I’m using iPhone,........lol

• SRC Supporter

New gadget again:)  Magnetic probe holder for the pH probe.

P1013314 (Large).jpg

Both the wet & dry side are well sealed. This is acrylic, so the joints are usually very robust.P1013313 (Large).jpg

Testing it out to hold an egg crate on 15mm glass. Works great to hold frags.

P1013304 (Large).jpg

P1013307 (Large).jpg

Using it for the pH probe for now. These magnetic holders are  convenient to place the probes/sensors or float switches at the right levels.

Should have gotten 2 sets instead.

P1013316 (Large).jpg

I usually get a PMs on where to buy new gadgets I share in my thread. This one is from ReefMarketSG. Very reasonable price. 

• SRC Supporter

My DIY calcium reactor flow rate 'meter'

Able to visually see if the effluent slows down from the height of the dip stick.

• SRC Member
Some pics taken with yellow filter
5ae078f7c7bf1_P4220033(Large).thumb.jpg.874d57d00be5b0977f8b53aec2d2c044.jpg

5ae078f232f72_P4220041(Large).thumb.jpg.8f859a0948b19dc80d4107ec628af29f.jpg

5ae078f958322_P4220036(Large).thumb.jpg.9ba62300ba0eb0c4e67182d8bee48748.jpg

Using this thread to keep track of maintenance done. 
Replaced the CR media of the secondary chamber.  Original media was the finer grade type & got quite mushed up due to accidental low PH in the past. Replacing with larger sized Rowalith media.
5ae078f644a0d_P1013296(Large).thumb.jpg.b811f2435f80d98488952d2ff8da5992.jpg

Calibrated all the pH probes : For Calcium reactor, Sump, Alkatronic & handheld one
5ae078f4e6bd0_IMG_49481(Large).thumb.jpg.5092f99b29c92058f95905201e2436e7.jpg

The sps looks so familiar, very nice coloration bro. So envy

• Like 1

• SRC Member
7 hours ago, SubzeroLT said:

New gadget again:)  Magnetic probe holder for the pH probe.

P1013314 (Large).jpg

Both the wet & dry side are well sealed. This is acrylic, so the joints are usually very robust.P1013313 (Large).jpg

Testing it out to hold an egg crate on 15mm glass. Works great to hold frags.

P1013304 (Large).jpg

P1013307 (Large).jpg

Using it for the pH probe for now. These magnetic holders are  convenient to place the probes/sensors or float switches at the right levels.

Should have gotten 2 sets instead.

P1013316 (Large).jpg

I usually get a PMs on where to buy new gadgets I share in my thread. This one is from ReefMarketSG. Very reasonable price. 

Nice. But I couldn’t find the product on their website website! Lol

• SRC Supporter
25 minutes ago, Jeebusai said:

Nice. But I couldn’t find the product on their website website! Lol

Just came in. You can whatsapp Patrick (ReefmarketSG) directly. 

• SRC Supporter

Paired Banggai Cardinals

P1010000 (Large).jpg

Can see the baby fishes inside the father's mouth

P1013311 (Large).jpg

Only managed to net out 2 babies this round. Witness several others get eaten by the wrasses :(

P1013328 (Large).jpg

Not a clear pic buts its nice to see the 2 spotted mandarins  together most of the time.

P1013325 (Large).jpg

2 six line wrasses 

P1010001 (Large).jpg

Introduced the smaller yellow tang 2 weeks ago. OK so far.P1013218 (Large).jpg

Bullied by the Square Anthias occasionally but ok with the other Tangs

P1013224 (Large).jpg

Barely see the Halloween crabs around. 

P1012879 (Large).jpg