Cure for white spots

• SRC Member

Hi guys, just lost two powder blue tang due to white spots, was eating fine since I bought it and white spots also disappearing when suddenly after 2 weeks, the white spots re-appears again after some shifting of LR & then both of them did not survive.........would like to find out what kinda medication you guys are using against white spots, best if medication is reef safe cos I do not have a quarantine tank.

Thanks!

Eric

• Sponsor

Eric, do a search on 'Ich' or 'White Spots' and you'll find many threads on the subject.

Tangs a very susceptible to Ich because they don't have tough scales like many other fishes. They also need ample swimming space, good water quality and places to hide. Dipping your hand into the tank all the time is also bad cos it'll stressed them out. Final note: You shouldn't have kept 2 powder blues in the same tank cos they are territorial.

• SRC Member

Hi Eric - Tangs are very susceptible to white spots & Ich and my experience though limited in helping clear these are using reef safe solution (there are many types out there - some liquids utilising some sort of membrane to "blanket" over the fish skin/scales to "kill" it and some "pepper" solutions seek to kill the disease via "hotness".

I understand that there are many measures to minimise. These includes good diet for fish to have better immune system, reduce stressing the fishes and maintaining good water quality. Good diet includes adding garlic to food and also vit c in water.

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

I'd tried AquaPharm for Ich for my Clarkii. Very effective as the next day after dosing with it, all white spots gone. However, the white spots reappear almost immediately the next 2 days. This continue for 2 weeks even after dosing with the medication.

I think I'd made a grave mistake for not changing the water after my clarkii recovers and in the end lost the battle. :cry2:

medication is fine, but you need to get rid of the eggs that will hatch in a week or two. The safe way is to reduce the SG of the water, that will supposedly cause the parasites to explode! Note: it has to be reduce slowly over a period otherwise your fish will be stressed. Look up the internet for details.

Seriously.. it has been proven that no medication can cure white spot permenantly.... The 2 only cure which can only be use in FOWLR tank is hyposalinity and through using copper...... Thus hope that you guys dun go ard believing lfs that certain medication can cure ich.... BTW garlic help to boost fish immune system tyo fight against ich and not cure ich ;);););)

• SRC Member

bought 2nd pajama cardinalfish last week to keep 1st pajama company. however, 2nd developed white spots from third day.

1st kept itself busy by nibbing or pecking at the 2nd. this evening, fifth day, returned from work to see 2nd without any more white spots.

hope both will survive. is nibbing or pecking normal for cardinals to help each other get rid of white spots ?