Can this sump be use as marine?

• SRC Member

Length of the sump 3ft Width 46cm.

Water in from sump.

1st compartment L:10.5cm by W:46cm (Water will flow down from Main tank and into 2nd compartment) though of placing moving bed media.

2nd Compartment L:17cm by W:46cm will be putting wool fine to coarse wool, since this a wet and dry system below would be  lift rocks or marine pure media.

3rd Compartment L:21cm by W 46cm will be putting skimmer and reactor. (equipment compartment)

4th compartment L:1ft by 46cm wil be placing return pump chiler pump or coil and isolation area.

Would this setup work?

N30 Sump.PNG

• SRC Member

21 cm is enough for quite a fair bit of good skimmer. Skimmer portion is okay.
I suggest you use filter sock on the down pipe location, you can get those hang of tank plastic holder with 4" filter sock. It is a lot easier to manage than using wool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Hello all i redo another one. Let see which is better.

From the picture you will see i will take away the last tall glass panel.

Than it will give me alot more space more than 21cm of space.

1st compartment i will cut away the down flow pipe and put in a 7 inch filter sock. It wil be flooded to the brim so i will place K1 media or Musang media. for Aerobic bacteria..

2nd compartment i will have a bigger space for skimmer and life rocks.

3rd compartment this will be a refugium or I will just place media that can cultivate anaerobic bacteria.

4th compartment same return pump, chiller pump, reactor etc or a refugium to grow cheatos. Separate by egg crates.

sump 2.PNG

• SRC Member
16 hours ago, Mike Stone said:

I think besides the skimmer, you have enough space for 3 different reactor .

21 cm is enough for quite a fair bit of good skimmer. Skimmer portion is okay.
I suggest you use filter sock on the down pipe location, you can get those hang of tank plastic holder with 4" filter sock. It is a lot easier to manage than using wool.

Yea my favourite Nyos 160 i can fill. 

now is to find the right equipment.

• SRC Supporter
On 10/9/2016 at 7:13 PM, sharonleong said:

Length of the sump 3ft Width 46cm.

Water in from sump.

1st compartment L:10.5cm by W:46cm (Water will flow down from Main tank and into 2nd compartment) though of placing moving bed media.

2nd Compartment L:17cm by W:46cm will be putting wool fine to coarse wool, since this a wet and dry system below would be  lift rocks or marine pure media.

3rd Compartment L:21cm by W 46cm will be putting skimmer and reactor. (equipment compartment)

4th compartment L:1ft by 46cm wil be placing return pump chiler pump or coil and isolation area.

Would this setup work?

N30 Sump.PNG

This design will NOT work. Its an underflow partition to the last chamber (return pump). This means that the water level will not be consistent. This will affect in sump skimmer performance. 

As some mentioned before, its ideal to have a bubble trap just before the return pump section.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member
17 hours ago, SubzeroLT said:

This design will NOT work. Its an underflow partition to the last chamber (return pump). This means that the water level will not be consistent. This will affect in sump skimmer performance. 

As some mentioned before, its ideal to have a bubble trap just before the return pump section.

OK what if i go for this design? 

On the second compartment i will cut away the glass partition.

Than it will be a over flow compartment. The water level will be consistent at that compartment.

I have indicated the wording skimmer. I will use addition egg crate to support the base.

sump 2.PNG

• SRC Supporter
On 10/9/2016 at 9:12 PM, sharonleong said:

Hello all i redo another one. Let see which is better.

From the picture you will see i will take away the last tall glass panel.

Than it will give me alot more space more than 21cm of space.

1st compartment i will cut away the down flow pipe and put in a 7 inch filter sock. It wil be flooded to the brim so i will place K1 media or Musang media. for Aerobic bacteria..

2nd compartment i will have a bigger space for skimmer and life rocks.

3rd compartment this will be a refugium or I will just place media that can cultivate anaerobic bacteria.

4th compartment same return pump, chiller pump, reactor etc or a refugium to grow cheatos. Separate by egg crates.

sump 2.PNG

Some feedback :

- Is the 1st compartment on the right wide enough to fit a 7" filter sock?

- Suggest not to use K1 media if you are short of space. K1 require a lot of space & fast constant flowing water else it'll just jam up.

Aside from that, this sump design seems alright

• SRC Member

Actually if I were you, I will use the 1st chamber for skimmer, it can fit a Nyos 120 easily. Next to the skimmer I will get the 4" filter sock with holder (can get from LFS) just below the down pipe.
The water level on the 1st chamber will be consistent because of the baffle design passing to the 2nd chamber. This will trap the bubble and also maintain consistent water level.
2nd to 3rd chamber should have another glass to avoid underflow. You can put Reactor or Chaeto on it or even ATS.
Last chamber for return pump, and CR etc.
Just my thought.

• Like 1

• SRC Member
17 hours ago, SubzeroLT said:

Some feedback :

- Is the 1st compartment on the right wide enough to fit a 7" filter sock?

- Suggest not to use K1 media if you are short of space. K1 require a lot of space & fast constant flowing water else it'll just jam up.

Aside from that, this sump design seems alright

The width of the first compartment is 10cm. I should be able to squeeze it in.

Ok wil take away K1 idea.

How about 3rd and 4th compartment?

Actually if I were you, I will use the 1st chamber for skimmer, it can fit a Nyos 120 easily. Next to the skimmer I will get the 4" filter sock with holder (can get from LFS) just below the down pipe.
The water level on the 1st chamber will be consistent because of the baffle design passing to the 2nd chamber. This will trap the bubble and also maintain consistent water level.
2nd to 3rd chamber should have another glass to avoid underflow. You can put Reactor or Chaeto on it or even ATS.
Last chamber for return pump, and CR etc.
Just my thought.

Next to the skimmer is the down flow compartment. right?

Yea but my dream is the Nyos 160 :) It able to fit....... but i had to cut away one of the glass panel.

Since my that compartment is free of skimmer why need to add another glass to avoid underflow Bubbles issues? Actually why bubbles is a great problem?

I wanted it to be under flow cause I read that the water will be diverted thru the media if it not under flow it wil just flow above the surface.

I plan to put all chap-lang reactor at the last compartment.

• SRC Supporter
1 minute ago, sharonleong said:

The width of the first compartment is 10cm. I should be able to squeeze it in.

No lei. 7" filter sock is 17.8cm wide. It won't fit the 10cm compartment.

It will however barely squeeze in a 4" filter sock (10.2cm)

• SRC Member
No lei. 7" filter sock is 17.8cm wide. It won't fit the 10cm compartment.
It will however barely squeeze in a 4" filter sock (10.2cm)

c85cad9cf5eb7157d090f805a820f7d6.jpg

The compartment dimension. If not place the circumference above the glass panel and the body of the sock in the compartment it still works right?

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app