My Expensive Hobby - 4x2x2 Tank

It has been 10 over years since I have last kept marine fishes. Finally got my own house last year. Now i have decided to return to this hobby and this time round to start slowly and do it correctly.

The below picture are the setup I did 12-13 years ago. I was first introduced to this marine hobby by an army friend. The LFS I went told me that I can use a under gravel system with two external canister to sustain the system. Yes it can be done, but if anyone really want to go deeper into this hobby, it is not very practical in the long run. However the under gravel system did manage to pull through and I was able to get good results (0 ammonia / 0 nitrites / 0 nitrates and some other perimeters good enough to keep hard corals and fishes

tank.jpg

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today the Tank and equipment’s arrived. I will be going to do a fresh water test on the tank for 1 days to check for leakages or any possible damage during the transportation process. After an ho

Below is a simple Marine Log sheet for me to keep track of the water perimeters for the entire system, But will most probably be using the one of the apps (Aquarimate) recommended by one of the reefer

Looking forward for this interesting tank set up.

Posted Images

This time I am set to start up properly with the correct equipment and conduct weekly test to make sure every living creature/animals in the marine tank are in good health and conditions.

Initially was thinking to use live rocks to cycle the tank for 1 to 2 month, but after must consideration and reading online, decided to go for dry rock instead. Will be doing weekly water perimeter check such as ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, pH, Salinity, Water temperature, TDS (top up / water change)

Below is the Tank Setup

Tank - 4 x 2 x 2 (12mm thickness with braces below instead of top braces), the height will be slightly lower than 2ft at 55cm due to the fact that it’s consider braceless, need to compromise on the height for it.

Sump – 3.5 x 2 x 1.5 (3 compartment – 1st compartment, overflow water through a filter bag and protein skimmer, 2nd compartment will be use as a refugium, 3rd compartment will be return pump and future add on equipment such as calcium reactor, etc…….

2 x Ocean Life Overflow system (one side capable of 3500 litres per hour total of 7000 l/h) – left and right

2 x AI 26 HD with D-D Mount

1x BM A8 Protein Skimmer

1x Ecotech Vectra M1 Return Pump

1x Jebao DCS7000 DC Pump for the chiller

1x Hailea 66A ¼ Chiller

1x Maxspect Gyre XF250 Wavemaker bundle (Comes with 2 pump and 1 advance controller) – maybe a bit overall kill for a 4ft system LOL, one pump is capable of 5000GPH) – but there is a mode to do alternating flow, so as to effect the TIDE ( Flooding and Ebbing) on a 6 Hour Rotation basics J

1x 5 Stage RO/DI Systems – to achieve 0 TDS for the water use to top up or doing water change

1x Media Block – to cultivate good bacteria

1x Refractometer – to measure the salinity of the salt water

Quarantine Tank – Using the 63l Oceanfree Nano Marine Tank as a quarantine tank. A cosy place for the fishes to stay stress free and healthy J

I will be adding new items to the system when the needs arise later. Currently the above is the bare bone of the system

Below is a simple Marine Log sheet for me to keep track of the water perimeters for the entire system, But will most probably be using the one of the apps (Aquarimate) recommended by one of the reefer.

Marine Log Template.jpg

• Like 1

Today the Tank and equipment’s arrived. I will be going to do a fresh water test on the tank for 1 days to check for leakages or any possible damage during the transportation process.

After an hour of Cable Management, finally settled the whole bunch of Cable and plug..

Will need to wait a while for the pipe works to bond together before adding in water to do the water test for possible leakage (Hope not).

Y1.jpg

Y2.jpg

Y3.jpg

Y4.jpg

Y5.jpg

Y6.jpg

Y7.jpg

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, reefbuilder said:

In this expensive hobby it is indeed a good practice to start right otherwise it will become even more expensive to correct the wrongs. Will be looking forward to updates.

Yes, Thanks. Must start right and must be very patient :)

De aquatic ur tank maker? Nice sleek design. U might need another hydra26 to cover ur entire length of 4ft evenly.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Inled R80 x 3 with 2  x Illumagic Vitamini Super Actinic LED Striplight Bars.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao SOW-16M, SLW-30M & SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump.

Water Top Up: Reef Octopus ATO.

The Tank and piping works passed the leakages test.

Put in Live sand and dry rocks. Filling up the tank with RO/DI water. Man its super slow. LOL

Once the RO/DI water filled up in the black container, I will turn on the pump to pump the water to the Main tank :)

For the black container (52 liters) to fill up, it will take roughly about 40-50 minutes. So i have been doing it for like 6-7hours to fill up to this level as shown in the picture below. Tiring... but I am enjoying the process and passion of this hobby.

20161210_100209.jpg

20161210_100233.jpg

20161210_100243.jpg

1 hour ago, leong_rei said:

Using rodi water very ex but is a very good start using rodi waiting to see more from u if can try get what fish u want and 1 time add all in but try wash your fish before all get in

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

:) My fishes will be in my QT beside my DT for at least 4 to 8 weeks b4 placing into the DT. :)

Installed the isocket plug that i ordered from Finland few days ago. For extra piece of mind, when the house circuit breaker trips or power failure, the plug will sent an SMS to my phone to inform me of such incident. It also has a Temperature sensor (comes with the probe) as well. :) although had install the battery bank for the Vectra M1 pump, having additional redundancy checks are also better.

isocket.jpg

isocket 1.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join us on the largest Reefing community in Asia!

Sign up and share your reefing journey with us, make friends and get helps from the community .

• Similar Content

• By Willy Guccivera Yap
      Please share what is your tang favorite food!

My Tangs love to eat TLF Seaweed on Magnet Clipper and Vitalis Marine Grazer.
    • By kaminari369
      Selling my emperor angelfish, bought it recently but realized my that my tank would't be a large enough to house it, thus selling to a reefer that can better accomodate to its needs. 
      Currently only 1.5 inch - 2 inch which is quite small.
      Do pm me for more pics and offer me a price/fish/coral 
      Flexible with letting it go for lower price as i want to give it a better home
      Thank You
      My meetup is around Pasir Panjang, Harbourfront, Botanics, Buona Vista, Clementi and anywhere along the way, can be discussed.
      Just a sample pic below, actual fish is much smaller than that
      Can also message me at 97158663

• By VANAN
      Introduction

After putting it off for quite some time (years), I am re-entering the hobby and starting a new tank build! The catalyst for this build has been my wife who also expressed her interest in having an aquarium in the house and sparked back my interest in having a piece of the ocean at home.
      So, like most things we put our hearts into, we wanted this to be a well-planned, slow and steady project. The planning process started in Dec last year, where we begin exploring the idea of renovating a portion of the house and creating a cozy corner to relax and enjoy the aquarium.
      We want to create a tank that looks awesome, simple, easy to maintain and hopefully follows some sustainable practices.  I have never done a tank build thread before but thought to myself why not! This will help us journal our progress as well as share and hopefully learn from the wealth of experience in this forum.

Tank Philosophy

Now for the tank build, these are our basic requirements/principles that were used to guide the designing, placement, equipment and livestock.

Neat
      Tank, equipment, sump and the whole package has to look clean, neat and presentable. If it can fit with the existing house style would be even better. Minimal exposed wires, pipes etc and if they have to be exposed it should look good. Routine maintenance should also be planned to keep things neat. My wife is very OCD and this was her first rule. The colour theme was also chosen by her to make that area look cozy, neat and seamless.

Safety
      New power points to be added with a dedicated breaker for the tank. Power points will have the outdoor rated covers to protect against any splash.
      Adhere to weight loading requirements of our apartment. A few emails to HDB and we had approval for the tank size and placement in our intended location.  

Simple
      The design of the tank and sump should allow us to interchangeably use different equipment as we upgrade or decide to follow a different system.  The design should also be flexible enough for us to relocate the tank to any other parts of the house.

Aquacultured/maricultured Corals
      The tank will be mostly SPS with some LPS therefore we want this project to be more environmentally friendly than my previous tanks and reduce the impact to the reefs. With more and more LFS bringing in maricultured/aquacultured corals amd hobbyist sharing their frags, this hobby can be a little more environmentally friendly than it used to in the past. So as much as possible, we will aim to purchase aquacultured/maricultured corals. Our rock work will be from mined aragonite rocks or the artificial rocks instead of live rock. We might also look at frag swaps as well once we have system running. This may not always be possible but we will try to stick to this as much as we can.
      We are hoping that in years to come, we will have little to no reason to take anything from the reef. Aquacultured corals and captive bred fishes should be encouraged and supported wherever possible.

Equipment

The tank will be a 120 X 60 X 60 cm external herbie overflow system with 3 sides crystal glass.  12mm thick glass with clear silicone and euro-bracing.  The tank will be peninsula style tank on an aluminium profile stand with hang-on wooden doors. Sump tank is 90 X40 X 40cm and baffled only for the return pump.
      After going around to a few LFS and a few calls to tank makers, we decided to get Suprem9 to build our tank. We were not in a rush and wanted the builder to go through the tank design with slowly and be patient enough for us to design out the tank according to our needs.

The type of filtration for the tank were based on my experience when I was in Australia working for the Marine Biology & aquaculture research facilities. I was involved in building algae scrubbers and carbon dosing biofilters. So naturally I wanted to this tank to be based on carbon dosing or a refugium dominant or both! Having heard so much about zeovit system, I thought why not try out the system and see what kind of results they produce. So, the tank filtration will be a simple 4 part starting with a mechanical filter, skimmer, zeovit reactor and a carbon.

Additives and water top up at the moment are still not completely decided. I might go with a 3-part balling method or a 1-part calcium hydroxide/calcium formate route. We will consider a calcium reactor in future when the tank becomes high demand. The sump design allows addition of a calcium reactor for future use.  Auto water top up will be gravity fed and will be away from the tank in the kitchen.

As for other supporting equipment, we wanted the right equipment from the start as much as possible without the need to upgrade later on and eventually spend more money. Considerations were also taken for agent support for the critical and high cost items. Nothing will piss us more than having to spend so much money and not get any proper technical or warranty support. If the equipment can be repaired locally or have a 1 to 1 exchange it would be a plus. Below is the list of supporting equipment we have decided.
      ·         1/4HP Artica Chiller
      ·         2 X Radion G5 XR30 Pro (May add a 3rd in future or add strip LEDs)
      ·         2 X Vortech MP40
      ·         1 X Reefwave45
      ·         Vectra M2 return pump
      ·         Clarisea SK5000
      ·         Nyos 160 Skimmer
      ·         BM Zeovit reactor

• By Raheel
      Hi, thank you for taking the time to read through. 
      Whats the Atlantis, Atlantis is what i named my Red Sea Reefer 350. Why name it Atlantis ? Atlantis has always fascinated me. And The Red Sea Reefer being my current dream tank build, the only thing i could think of naming is was The Atlantis. 
      I bought my Reefer 350 second hand from a fellow reefer. The tank was only used for a few months, 5 months to be exact. Well the tank was collected today. And i did the delivery myself. So i guess ill start this thread by writing my experience on how the delivery was done, and what you guys could learn from my mistakes. 
      My friend and i, yes 2 people. We went down to collect the tank, in my van.  Lesson no 1, have more help. Despite the tank weighing 64kg, we had issues carrying it. issues faced was lifting the tank up higher due to the piping, instead of sliding it off the cabinet. Second issue faced was loading it into the van. It was an issue because again of the piping we could not slide it in and had to carefully place it.  Now my van isnt that big. Its just enough to fit a 4 ft tank.  Second issue faced, i decided i did not want to dismantle the cabinet and that we just put it in the van standing. Well it did fit, but due to the size of my van, it was just nice about 5-6 cm away from the door closing in. And the sump tank was just kissing the cabinet. 
      In my opinion, get more people to help. Also have some boxes or cloths to protect the tanks, because when i was driving, there were instances i had to brake hard, and in one of those breaks the sump slide forward and hit the tank. Luckily nothing happened, we stopped over at the patrol pump, got everything placed properly again and put cardboards between them just incase 
      Once the tank was home, it was a breeze to set up. Firstly the previous reefer had already set up the overflow pipes for me. All i had to do was fix the drainage, emergency drainage and return. 
      Now the tank sits, while its Rocks, salts, sands and biomedia come. Also going to do a leak test before filling it up with salt water. 

• By AH BENG AQUARIUM
      Dear Singapore Reef Club Community,
      To show our appreciation towards your support for SRC and ABA, we have came out with a package deal to enable inexperience members or non-members to try out reefing as a hobby.
      Our package tank (IOS) is designed for an easy start up and to have all-in-one, we aim to make it convenient and fuss-free (slowly pick up the pace :D). 
      Do remember that the package is an easy start up for small fishes such as clownfish, gobies, etc. If you would like to place corals in future, a chiller and dosing would be required. 

Don't worry, we will guide you and ensure your success
      Package A - Starter

OCEAN FREE NANO MARINE 2 24L-  27.5CM(W) x 27.5CM(L) x 32CM(H). Lights, pump, skimmer and skimmer air pump included. Bio Home 300g - Porous area for bacteria culture to grow. MICROBE-LIFT/Nite-Out II - For bacteria to establish, promote or stabilize and maintain nitrification in aquarium waters, eliminating the toxic effect of ammonia. Live rock 2 kg live rock  Live sand Carib sea live sand  Natural sea water 30L 1 Week of free water testing. (Ammonia, No2, No3, Po4 and PH). PROMO PRICE : $214.90 $180
      Package B - Starter UPGRADED*

OceanFree Nano Marine 5 96L - 60CM(W) x 40CM(L) x 40CM(H) * Lights, pump, skimmer and skimmer air pump included. Bio Home 1000g - Porous area for bacteria culture to grow. MICROBE-LIFT/Nite-Out II - For bacteria to establish, promote or stabilize and maintain nitrification in aquarium waters, eliminating the toxic effect of ammonia. Live rock 8 kg live rock  Live sand Carib sea live sand  Natural sea water 90L 1 Week of free water testing. (Ammonia, No2, No3, Po4 and PH). PROMO PRICE : $538.90 $450
      Package C - ADVANCED

DYMAX IQ9 48L - 47CM(L) x 47CM(W) x 22CM(H)*  Lights, pump and skimmer included. JUST CAME OUT THIS YEAR ! Bio Home 1000g - Porous area for bacteria culture to grow. MICROBE-LIFT/Nite-Out II - For bacteria to establish, promote or stabilize and maintain nitrification in aquarium waters, eliminating the toxic effect of ammonia. AirPump for skimmer Live rock 5 kg live rock  Live sand Carib sea live sand  Natural sea water 40L 1 Week of free water testing. (Ammonia, No2, No3, Po4 and PH). PROMO PRICE : $636.90 $570
      Thank you for your support.
      Ah Beng Aquarium 471 Geylang Rd, Singapore 389430 +6597761341 https://goo.gl/maps/j3huxhENw6eNsGcN8
      This promotion will end on 05 October 2020. 
      Pricing and item can be change without prior notice (We try not to).
  • Topics

• Latest Update

1. 1

Wts torches

2. 0

WTS: Tonga Rockscape for 3-4 feet tank

3. 5

Question about buying corals

4. 5

5. 5