my $1 diy kalk drip-er

coconut3

leave some room btw the bottom of the container and the drip valve. u do not want all the residue from the kalk which settles at the bottom of ur container to clog up the valve. remember not to seal the container with a cover, coz if u do, there will be no pressure in the container to push the water thru the drip valve. juz leave the container uncovered. if u wanna use a cover, juz drill a hole in the centre of the cover to facilitate the atm. pressure acting on the kalk solution. so that it will push the kalk down.

juz me 2 cents. :)

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

leave some room btw the bottom of the container and the drip valve. u do not want all the residue from the kalk which settles at the bottom of ur container to clog up the valve. remember not to seal the container with a cover, coz if u do, there will be no pressure in the container to push the water thru the drip valve. juz leave the container uncovered. if u wanna use a cover, juz drill a hole in the centre of the cover to facilitate the atm. pressure acting on the kalk solution. so that it will push the kalk down.

thanks bro.. oredi did that :)

• SRC Member

err.. not directing at u hor... but i feel...

u do not want all the residue from the kalk which settles at the bottom of ur container to clog up the valve
should be "u do not want the residue from the kalk ending up dripping into ur tank" ... i wouldnt mind it clogging but i wont want it to dripping into my tank :lol:

remember not to seal the container with a cover, coz if u do, there will be no pressure in the container to push the water thru the drip valve.

true in a way..correct me if i'm wrong but you will get Calcium Carbonate white precipitate, which is insoluble when Calcium react with the carbon dioxide present in the air if the top is left open...

remember ijust sharing info hor not flaming u ;)

• SRC Member
container RM1.5 = ~$0.70

air valve = $0.30

its better to use somesealant... i tried silicon n glue gun.. find the latter better... coz sooner or later the hole will leak.. trust me..

and if u are going to mix the kalk solution in that bottle... i suggest u make 1 or 2 identical bottle more... coz my kalk solution normally takes about 1.5~2days for it to fully settled down.. so u can use the dripper on alternate days..

• SRC Member
true in a way..correct me if i'm wrong but you will get Calcium Carbonate white precipitate, which is insoluble when Calcium react with the carbon dioxide present in the air if the top is left open...

razo,

i was thinking if i put in styrofoam balls...

the very fine kind, will it help?

it will float, yet if its a thick enough layer, will prevent too much interaction with air.

what you think? :D

err.. not directing at u hor... but i feel...

should be "u do not want the residue from the kalk ending up dripping into ur tank" ... i wouldnt mind it clogging but i wont want it to dripping into my tank :lol:

remember ijust sharing info hor not flaming u ;)

no worries Razo. juz out here to share our experience. :)

yes. we do not want the kalk residue from dripping into our tanks. but if the kalk residue has oredi clogged up the valve in the 1st place, how is the residue suppose to get in the tank. :)

as for leaving the container uncovered, i leave it up 2 u guys to decide. i myself is using a cover with a small hole drilled on top. :)

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

its better to use somesealant... i tried silicon n glue gun.. find the latter better... coz sooner or later the hole will leak.. trust me..

and if u are going to mix the kalk solution in that bottle... i suggest u make 1 or 2 identical bottle more... coz my kalk solution normally takes about 1.5~2days for it to fully settled down.. so u can use the dripper on alternate days..

Thought kalk solution needs to be "used" within a few hours of mixing or it will lose its "efficacy"? Anyone can confirm this?

BTW, you mean it takes more than a day for your kalk to settle down? When I was using Coralife Kalk, its was about 2 hours. Now with Reefz, it settles within the hour.