Nick's Reef

Nick Ang

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • SRC Member

Its been a year plus since i update my tank setup .

My tank came in early this year.
Tank built by CRA
IMG_1935.JPGIMG_1938.JPGIMG_1941.JPG
Dimensions = 5 x 2 x 2ft,Bracing and front Crystal glass ,together with a 2 ft zoas tank
IMG_1260.JPGIMG_1260.JPG

Equipment list
2 x Radion xr30 gen 4
1 x Hydra 26 HD
Nyos 220 skimmer
Vectra L1 ,Jebao DC 6000 return pump
Kessil H380
Kamoer 4 channel dosing pump
2 marine pure block
2 baskets of Siporax medias
Compressor unit

The tank will be going Triton Method ,trying to keep it simple as i go .

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• Like 1

• SRC Member

As my forearm got a small wound ,thinking that it will be alright to put my hand in saltwater .
And ends up getting bacteria infection ,Cellulitis
Even though cant conclude that its the cause of it ,but makes me be more precaution in future to wear a full arm glove .
IMG_0119.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • SRC Member

It's been more than 2 years since I last update the progression of my reefing journey. 

First of all, I changed the 2 Ft tank to 2 by 2 by 20 inches tall on Dec 18 as I find there are limits or corals to place in under 1 ft height.

• SRC Member

And so, played mixed reef for a short period of time and convert the 5 footer to Fish only as got craze over the beautiful colors of angelfish and triggerfish .

And so , after trying out with fish only for probably about a year, cant resist the temptation of not keeping corals. And restarted the tank again . This time round , trying to archive  sps dominant reef tank. Hence, getting prepared for a system for nutrient export and having space to put all the equipment to support. I therefore cousult CRA to make a new sump to store the calcium reactor and other equipment in sump and hidden in the cabinet

And my sps dominant reef tank journey starts from Oct 2019.

Even though I had been changing my reef keeping system over the past 2 year. I had learned and experienced it personally alot on different care requirement for different systems.

• SRC Member

On Oct 2019 , the tank start cycling . I had also change the lighting to ATI Sunpower non dim 8x54w . 

Sump design

Previously my old design was having 2 different sump as the first chamber was a bigass refugium den flows to the mechanical filtration/filter floss follow by skimmer ,media reactor then return section. Having this design of sump , i grew cheato rapidly and manage to control my nutrients level at pretty desirable levels. However due to the height of the refugium, i had difficulties to maintain or clean it as the access space was limited.

Hence for my new design, 

I choose to keep everything more simple , accessible and easier to maintain. Having the mechanical filtration/filterfloss to skimmer section then to my medias and CR chamber with media reactor then lastly my return section.This time round my sump height was about 18 inches tall, make it so much easier to access and do maintenance .

• SRC Member

The system is still very young , trying to keep it stable is the key. Always told myself not to chase after numbers . As long as keeping it constant all the way , is the key to successful reef tank

My current parameters
Kh - 8.1 - 8.5
Ca - about 410
No3 - 10ppm
Po4 - 0.08ppm
Still trying to bring down the no3 and po4 slightly lower abit . But not really rushing to as corals responds pretty well with current parameters

To all if not most reefers , wire management is always an issue, problematic .
Took the chance to use the 2 ft cabinet to tidy hide all my wirings in it