Nick's Reef

Nick Ang

1 hour ago, Nick Ang said:

IMG_0139.JPG
And here it is , about 6 months later

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Very nice to see how ur reef has developed since the last time i’ve met u, bro. And yes, totally agreed with u on wire management. To this day I’m still having problems with it, Haha.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member
Very nice to see how ur reef has developed since the last time i’ve met u, bro. And yes, totally agreed with u on wire management. To this day I’m still having problems with it, Haha.

Thank you , and its really fun keeping sps . Waiting for them to develop those colors seems amazing .
Haha , do get it organized for our own safety .

Very nice sps collection, bro. 

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member
Such a great work. Really cool. I am also making my saltwater reef tank and jsut now have some issues wiht a sump. I hav efound the  best sump setup for saltwater reef tank diy but I would like to get more advice about how to design and make a sump. How you performed your own? 

Hi there , what i had for my sump design is to go by mechanical filtration first ( usually filter socks or wool),follow by biological filtration ( skimmer, medias etc) then chemical filtration ( nitrate, phosphate removal medias) then to return pumps . Aside from this , it is wise to know ur equipment dimensions and how much space you can maximize under ur cabinet. You can then sketch out each section with baffles of the sump to accommodate ur equipments .
Here is my sump layout , hope you get a better idea IMG_0608.JPG

• SRC Member

recently , noticed some of my sps wasnt doing well . Parameters was in check,and saw some creatures appears on my tank glass . IMG_0373.JPG
Worst encounter for me so far , it was flatworms attack . Not really sure on the scientific names of it , but seems that it only attacks some specific sps corals, prostrata, milliepora and took some damage of one of my staghorn sps.
Affected sps
IMG_0375.JPG

Quickly sourcing for remedy, I removed all my sps to dip with coral rx and inspected all the corals and to realise that there were still flatworms eggs !
IMG_0385.JPG
Quickly brushed it off and and dip in new batch of coral rx again to be safe.
Moving on , i treated the tank with salifert flatworm exit but didnt notice any flatworms floating on the water surface . Read from forums that its not a one time elimination for this pest , so every now and then Im monitoring all the sps , any signs of PE not opening , or coloration turning dull would have to bring it out to dip . And there might be eggs in some of my rockwork with cant really see from outside the tank .
Aside from these, Im planning to dose flatworm exit again about an hour or so before my next round of water change.
Overall , I had yet to lose any sps, some are recovering while some are not . Was really curious how it actually got it in my tank, when i dip all corals before putting it in .
Its quite hectic to fight against it , as you always have to have stored rodi water to mix salt to refill . And if you do not pay enough attention and reacts fast enough , you may lose the coral.

• SRC Member

Its always nice to encounter challenge in this hobby , makes u fail but at the same time filling you up with knowledge and experience .

Since I encounter flatworms attack in my reef tank, took the chance during this CB period to do a new scape for my tank as well to play safe to bleach my rockwork which will execute in the next few days to ensure that there arent any eggs were still in there. And as I find earlier stage of this restart, I didnt do well to play the color contrast of the corals and group quite similar colors together .
Hence , i took out some rocks that i kept in storage for years out.
Here is some of the progress
9D3CAF77-B7E4-4AEB-B4A5-48C04D00FC0F.jpgIMG_0417.JPGIMG_0437.JPGIMG_0445.JPGIMG_0480.JPGIMG_0514.JPGIMG_0611.JPG
And here is the final scape
Took about 4 days to complete . Plenty time to do again and again till I like 🤪
IMG_0612.JPG

• 5 months later...