Fishes dying

Hi all. Need advise from experts here. Bought a new tank from L35 pasir ris farmway 2 on saturday. Bought the saltwater from there too. I ran the water for 1 day with liverocks. Sunday i went back to buy fishes, seahorses clownfish and an angel fish.monday night 1 nemo died. Today morning another nemo died and night 1 seahorse died. What could have gone wrong here. I dont have a chiller. Was feeding them frozen shrimps. Mine is a 32L tank. Totally clueless on whats happening. Help! 

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Don't be offended bro, but you have gone wrong in so many cases, that I do not know how to begin.

Just filling a tank with seawater and live rocks, doesn't mean the tank is automatically habitable to fishes and other livestocks.

Just to name a few wrongs.  You did not cycle the tank, nor test the water parameters. So for all you know, there are die-offs from the live rocks that is fouling the water.

You added so many livestocks all at once.  Whatever beneficial bacteria that's in your tank, cannot handle this sudden drastic increase of bio load..  So your livestocks is practically swimming in their own shit&pee, and dying due to stress or maybe even of ammonia poisoning.

i would seriously advise you to quickly send the livestocks to a mature tank immediately, either a friend's or ask the lfs to hold for you, while you get the tank condition right, before they all die.  Seriously, though they are just fishes, but they are a life too. Please save them before it's too late.

Then do read up more on reeling first, to find out what you should have done.  There are many articles in this forum that will help you start up correctly.

• Like 1

• SRC Member
9 hours ago, vino05 said:

Hi all. Need advise from experts here. Bought a new tank from L35 pasir ris farmway 2 on saturday. Bought the saltwater from there too. I ran the water for 1 day with liverocks. Sunday i went back to buy fishes, seahorses clownfish and an angel fish.monday night 1 nemo died. Today morning another nemo died and night 1 seahorse died. What could have gone wrong here. I dont have a chiller. Was feeding them frozen shrimps. Mine is a 32L tank. Totally clueless on whats happening. Help! 

Any pics of ur setup?

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

9 hours ago, Raffael Hamzah said:

Maybe not cycle enough or your system not enough maybe y not tell us what your tank consist off

I think not cycled enough too... the guy in the LFS told me to go back the next day and purchase the livestocks. Will upload a pic of my tank. 

42 minutes ago, Clement Chen said:

For seahorses they need a specialized tank with chiller. Can google how to keep them if interested. Btw how big is ur tank

Wanted to get a chiller, but the LFS told me not to. advised me to let the livestock stabilise before i make the next move. My tank is a and half feet 32L. Any idea if seahorse and nemos are compatible. Read a compatibility chart and alot seem to be discouraging.

8 hours ago, DottyClown said:

Don't be offended bro, but you have gone wrong in so many cases, that I do not know how to begin.

Just filling a tank with seawater and live rocks, doesn't mean the tank is automatically habitable to fishes and other livestocks.

Just to name a few wrongs.  You did not cycle the tank, nor test the water parameters. So for all you know, there are die-offs from the live rocks that is fouling the water.

You added so many livestocks all at once.  Whatever beneficial bacteria that's in your tank, cannot handle this sudden drastic increase of bio load..  So your livestocks is practically swimming in their own shit&pee, and dying due to stress or maybe even of ammonia poisoning.

i would seriously advise you to quickly send the livestocks to a mature tank immediately, either a friend's or ask the lfs to hold for you, while you get the tank condition right, before they all die.  Seriously, though they are just fishes, but they are a life too. Please save them before it's too late.

Then do read up more on reeling first, to find out what you should have done.  There are many articles in this forum that will help you start up correctly.

Thanks! I dont have a chiller now, was intending to get it but was told not to by the LFS. He wanted me to let the livestock and water settle before getting one. Looks like i got lots of reading up to do. Where do i start off from here? For now i have 1 seahorse, an angelfish, hermit crab and the live rocks. These seem ok as of today morning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, judelor said:

Not trying to put blame on all LFS. But sometimes do take their recommendations with a pinch of salt at times. I will say google and ask around more. Sometimes they just wish the fishes get out of their LFS fast for restocking or sales.

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

Thanks :) Lesson learnt. Luckily i didn't end up buying the picasso nemo pair. Hahaha. Would have resulted in heart bleed.

Hi guys, a picture of my tank. Aside to this, do you'll recommend any mini chiller for this tank size? It's 1 and a half feet.

I'm looking to buy a chiller. the set up already has a light, skimmer, charcoal etc.

tank.jpg

• Like 1

• SRC Member
8 hours ago, vino05 said:

Hi guys, a picture of my tank. Aside to this, do you'll recommend any mini chiller for this tank size? It's 1 and a half feet.

I'm looking to buy a chiller. the set up already has a light, skimmer, charcoal etc.

tank.jpg

Nice tank..ur clown pair colour very striking yea  ..those LRs are very natural looking but oso very dangerous as they might come with lots of pests, so finger crossed..

Imho, to have a chiller or not depend on what u keeping..for FOWLR n some coral like zoas n gsp, water temp below 30degC will suffice..May I ask whats ur water temp n sg? :)

@ 291213

• SRC Member
Nice tank..ur clown pair colour very striking yea  ..those LRs are very natural looking but oso very dangerous as they might come with lots of pests, so finger crossed..
Imho, to have a chiller or not depend on what u keeping..for FOWLR n some coral like zoas n gsp, water temp below 30degC will suffice..May I ask whats ur water temp n sg?

Take ur time...read up on main forum for new to marine hobby....u will learn a lot

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member
2 minutes ago, reef tan said:

Take ur time...read up on main forum for new to marine hobby....u will learn a lot

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk

Yup yup..we r all learning everyday :D:)

@ 291213

Blue tube for skimmer? That type of air driven skimmer are not effective. Heck, u would get much more out from water changes instead of skimmer.

Since u rush into this hobby, best if u could just sit it out, let it cycle for 1 month first. If not whatever u throw in would eventually float (die).

If u can, buy test kit to test for nitrate & ammonia.

8 hours ago, kenyee said:

Imho, to have a chiller or not depend on what u keeping..for FOWLR n some coral like zoas n gsp, water temp below 30degC will suffice..May I ask whats ur water temp n sg? :)

Thanks :) Actually i intend to put in corals... currently no fishes in tank except for liverock. Am letting the water cycle properly. Think water temp might be slightly higher than 30, but drops at night. 

7 hours ago, yukok.lim08 said:

Your tank looks like oceanfree marine3 , what is the blue piping there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The blue piping connects to the skimmer. Yes it's an oceanfree marine 3.

6 hours ago, Dave Lim said:

Blue tube for skimmer? That type of air driven skimmer are not effective. Heck, u would get much more out from water changes instead of skimmer.

Since u rush into this hobby, best if u could just sit it out, let it cycle for 1 month first. If not whatever u throw in would eventually float (die).

If u can, buy test kit to test for nitrate & ammonia.

Yeah blue tube for skimmer, came together with the tank. Letting the water cycle now, no more livestocks except for the LRs. Any brand to recommend for the test kits?