lights

RMX

hi, would like to find out. for the actinic lights, are you using eballast or iron ballast? for normal FL, when using iron ballast, the tube will flicker while starting. its said to shorten the lifespan. anyone any comments? will iron ballast shorten the actinic tube lifespan?

currently i only have 2 nos. PL 6500k light sets. hoping to convert one to actinic or some blue light. and maybe change the PL to 10000k

• SRC Member

actinic light can use both iron-core ballast or e-ballast but of course e-ballast is better because it don't flicker when starting, and therefore the lifespan of the tube will be longer. and also heard e-ballast use less energy than iron-core ballast since there is less heat generated.

good PL (36watt right?) actinic light is quite expensive and i heard from the guys here that it's not a blue/purple as normal FL actinic light that is of a lower wattage.

i just do a mod to my brother's light, now he is using a 15watt Ocean Sun actinic light and a 36watt 10,000K PL together. the effect is quite good but once both lights are switch on at the same time, can only see white. when the 15watt actinic light is on only, the effect is quite nice.