My new 3ft Tank!!

typrobin

• SRC Member

after looking at my tank....more work to do....

1) DIY durso pipe

2) shift return pipe to the center of the tank

3) complete my DIY skimmer

4) get more LRs and do a FINAL rescape(need at least 20kg of huge LRs)

5) get MH, decided to use 2 X 150W (20k).after testing and more testing, temperature remains around <29degreeC,using a single fan.when my hood comes will install another one

6) DIY aluminium stand for MH

7) still figuring out if i should get a tubby + kalk reactor or should i get a toyogo tub to modify a drip for top-up.most likely the latter, cos me on very tight budget.

8) get wooden planks to cover my side of the tank to make it look like a cabinet

anyway, need to verify again....8kk MH are better for growth rite?

20kk is better for color, does it mean it enhances the corals' color growth or juz our viewing color?

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

hmmm... ;)

this looks very familliar... :rolleyes:

if i'm not wrong... its my tank!? :P

btw i'm tearing down my rocks and doing it again...

don't like the slope... its too steep to place corals like that...

wonder if its possible to stack high enough to cover overflow box but yet have a low gradient such that corals can still rest nicely on the slope...

all the best... ;)

ryan....use eggcrate + pvc pipes loh....i am a little cheapo so i use holders....wat we can do is rest a flat piece of LR on top of the flat eggcrate mah....

• SRC Member

haha.. saw an ocellaris in ur sump.. wonder wad will it do down there.. or u caught it and gave it away liao? :lol: "Nemo!, papa will save you from there!" - Marlin.

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

• SRC Member
haha.. saw an ocellaris in ur sump.. wonder wad will it do down there.. or u caught it and gave it away liao? :lol: "Nemo!, papa will save you from there!" - Marlin.

ocellaris?? u mean clown fish?? yup juz gave it to Jude 10mins ago....

i dun think i have the time to fix up my skimmer....so better not torture him. anyway,the small bugger is quite fierce,witness him biting my ex-firegoby(RIP) terribly....

• SRC Member
5) get MH, decided to use 2 X 150W (20k).after testing and more testing, temperature remains around <29degreeC,using a single fan.when my hood comes will install another one

be careful with the MH bro...

the temp is like that now but have you considered the heat generated by the pumps?

now with the temp so high i think its very risky to have so much heat sources in the tank...

also the top ups are gonna kill you!!! :pinch:

oh and for the rock stackers and flat piece thing... i did that...

the problem is with the width of the tank... to stack upwards 2ft, we need more than 2ft towards the back of the tank to create a slope less steep... if you know what i mean... :P

will try restacking this week end and see...

• SRC Member

Yup, Marlin (Jude) saved him earlier this evening! :lol:

Thanks Robin, he is doing well in the tank and is exploring around quite happily...eating well too...hopefully he loses his bad temper before I introduce other fishes in next mth...plan to get 1 more false percula on Sat to keep him company and after that it is no more fish for a while...

Plan was/is LR 1 mth, add 1-2 fish 1 mth, add 1-2 fish 1 mth.....and so on all the way until next year :P

Jude

• SRC Member

siput (jude), becareful....pairing them up is not easy....anyway mine is a boy, but wat i heard is if u get another one to pair, it will change its ###### if nesseary...boy usually are smaller...so u might wanna pay attention to paired up clown fishes and take the bigger one...

• SRC Member

Thanks for the advice! ;) My girls were saying poor nemo looks lonely :P

Will look out for a larger clown; also read that false perculas are less aggressive towards each other (at least compared to the other clown varieties) - hopefully everything works out for the best...

If u have CNY tank warming any chance of an invite? can't wait to see how your tank turns out! :lol:

• SRC Member

Jude....CNY is only my expected timing....i really have no idea when i will complete the thing, as in fully stocked up with no problems at all....hai....hope it'll be tomolo...but i haf to rob a bank to do so....now i have to draft out my new wish list again....exams coming....gotta study....

any update of your tank...!!?? esp pic..

alamak.. why u post your gf pic online leh..

I am in finance line too..

u like got many qns.. tangs, eh..wat else.. can't

recall.. if need help, can PM me. :)

oh yes, if u still need to do rescaping of your tank,

I can loan u my coralife gloves. sms me I may be

able to dropby at your place tonite when I go out.

• SRC Member

my idea....

i thought of this because the main attraction is the side where my LR will be stacked high and most of my corals would be placed there....i should be tilting the MH to about 35-40degree so tat the center portion also has enuf lighting.anyone thinks its a good idea? any suggestions??

post-34-1082139068.jpg

• SRC Member
i'm worried bout over heating but shouldn't be a prob coz i haf lotsa fans i can use....

or should i juz stick to 1 X 150W in the center...

the spread is not very good leh....

why not just stick to 1x150w mh in center by add 2 t5s at front and back?

or 250w mh but raise higher?

• SRC Member

The only problem i can see about tilting the MH is that light may fall out of the tank which may make it look unsightly and that you don't make full use of the MH. So, you may have to lower the angle by a little.

A MH bulb covers around 2'x2' surface area.

Its a good idea overall, however if viewed from the side, the MH may shine right into your eyes which is actually very bad as MH is very bright.

Just some thoughts which you might want to consider.

• SRC Member

getting my MH soon, 2 X 150W...got everything a extremely cheap price....

1st set: 20kk BLV bulb + e-ballast + uv glass= $40, gotta get new casing from viclite = $30-40.....so total = $70-80

2nd set: complete set = $100

total 2 X 150W = $180 only...hehehehe..both sets used about 2-3mths....will try 20kk bulbs 1st...if dun like then change to 10kk....

juz got my new hood yesterday, free...my fren is a contractor and got his workers to do it for me, but he had to buy them beer.....the old one is too heavy, dun want to stress my tank, juz in case....

like the colour of my new hood, exactly the same as my tv console....

also switch the return pipe to the center of the tank....

khalib: point taken...will most likely tilt it only about 20-30degree...no worries about the side viewing cos it will be covered so tat my tank has only 1 viewing side, the front....

post-34-1082386960.jpg