Wrasse Dominant Reef Tank

• SRC Member

At the same time, just an update on my wiring Organising project. Contacted Vincent from Aquarium Artist who did up my tank, in order to order a box that will help me keep my wires, while at the same time be able to continue putting things on top for water changes. I will then add an acrylic structure inside so as to organise my plugs on one platform and my power adapters and bundle my wires underneath it. He sent me a rough sketch of the box and the best thing I like about it is his reasonable pricing for carpentry.
4b97924d5113f9985626c471b84b319c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Today I want to share about achieving stability in the hobby. There are many methods out there so I don't claim to be an expert. But I thought it would be good to share some priniciples I have learned in the last two years.

1. Starting well
It was important to start with the right conditions; using 0 TDS water with a salt mix that I could trust helped make sure there is no bad chemistry in the water. Using rocks that are cured or pretreated also ensures nothing like phosphates or worse copper leaks out into the water. Cycling properly is also important. Biological filtration is the most important process in saltwater tanks and it can only happen when the beneficial bacteria is established properly.

2. Testing water
In order to achieve stability I found that I had to test the water to figure out whether it was an issue of excess nutrients or a chemistry imbalance issue. Having reliable test kits helped me to tackle the issues correctly. Once stability is achieved I find the need to test less necessary. From time to time I only test Po4 and KH to make sure I'm on track.

3. Decide which system to follow
There are many methods out there and I have read about success with doing this and doing that. However, I realise I cannot pick and choose whatever I read about just because it is working for someone else. I had to find something that worked for me in terms of time taken and success rate. After two tank crashes, I can safely say that the best method for me is regular water changes performed weekly, for a system that is supported by strong skimming, and an ATS.
I also run a dosing pump that doses a two part solution to maintain my KH and Calcium uptake. I manually add 4 litres of DI water twice a week. That is all I do, and so far it has worked.

4. Stick to the plan
Once you have found the stability in your tank, stick to it and don't unnecessarily make changes. For eg, if the plan was to do weekly water changes, don't skip it. Don't take shortcuts by adding things that promise to make your life easier. I once added a bag of Chemipure elite and for a while it made my water crystal clear. I believe it was so effective in stripping the water of nutrients that my water became unviable for corals and the tissue started coming off the skeleton.

5. Introduce changes with caution
Sometimes you come across things that tell you it can help you reduce your nutrients, or deal with hair algae, or Cyanobacteria. When you want to try out a new product, introduce it slowly. Start off with a half dose and see if it upsets the balance in the tank. I came across the zeovit system and found that people have used it with much success. Before I delved into it, I did a lot of reading and browsed threads on forums to see what users share about the system. I'm still not fully confident yet and I have not started on SPS yet so I'm only using Cyanoclean at the moment to deal with Cyanobacteria at the moment.

So there you have it, here's some things I've shared about my journey, I hope it helps. I'll put this info in another thread too, for ease of reference for those about to start this exciting journey.

Happy Reefing

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Here are some macro pics of the corals in my tank. Recently acquired an Aussie gold torch thanks to the help of Dpyz and it's really fat!
0f6ff64063dc0c64e843c02353eb71c8.jpg

67bbabe80afc248e544b56bbfa644638.jpg
Mint Chocolate Chip Zoas

6d099803e9e03fc5b226c4a1341187ed.jpg
Supernovas

c0ed5a780110ddc80c1a03df269c58e9.jpg
CB Rainbow infusions and Utter Chaos

79e206f66a28e30523e7098972e78719.jpg
Hammer / Anchor garden

04414a390cfb8d6c289dfe10470ef762.jpg
Supersun corals

• SRC Member

It seems like chaeto reactors are back in fashion. Acquired a biopellet reactor off Carousell and reefer buddy dpyz helped me to mod it to become a chaeto reactor! Who says a hobby needs to be expensive?
de8e26909d463cd0958fe98f6b767cb4.jpg
d199e0119ab59469e2505c6d441d47fc.jpg

• SRC Member
It seems like chaeto reactors are back in fashion. Acquired a biopellet reactor off Carousell and reefer buddy dpyz helped me to mod it to become a chaeto reactor! Who says a hobby needs to be expensive?
de8e26909d463cd0958fe98f6b767cb4.jpg
d199e0119ab59469e2505c6d441d47fc.jpg

Where u get led strip?

Sent from my LG-D315 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Have set up my chaeto reactor and happy to report that there is substantial growth although it's been only a few days. However, I'm disappointed to report that my No3 has increased from 5-12 on the Nyos kit to 12-25 ppm. Since I've also decommed my Phosban reactor, my Po4 has also increased from 31 ppb to 73 ppb. I will continue to monitor and see if the results will be the same if my chaeto reactor is full. However, despite elevated nutrient levels, my corals are not suffering so I'm really just trying to achieve better growth and stability. In this hobby, that will be a never ending process, but one will need to make the changes slowly and observe the effects the change has introduced. One other change I'll be introducing will be a calcium reactor, as my dosing has reached an unsustainable level. It seems the corals in my tank and the recent phenomenon of coralline algae in my tank has consumed more calcium and kh than my dosing can keep up with. I'll be getting a Calcium Reactor soon in order to deal with this.

• 4 months later...