Wrasse Dominant Reef Tank

• SRC Member

Hi guys,

Started this tank in July 2016 and it's nearly a year since then, and have learnt a lot about the limits of a 2 ft cube tank. I have another thread called My Custom 2ft tank but it's been dead for a while because I had to learn some hard lessons in having Coral die out mysteriously.

I'm Glad to say I now have overcome that challenge and at least LPS and Zoas are thriving. Some things I have managed to rule out due to the generosity of Reef Depot who gave away such a grand prize that has allowed me to run a full Ecotech Marine system. In that way, I can say issues like rust and leaking of lead caused by poor quality return pumps are no longer plaguing me.

One thing I have been proud of is that my fish health has been very stable and have not had any disease outbreak for the last 10 months. Hence, thanks to my visit to Iwarna, I was intrigued to see their display tank that had LPS and softies, and most of all, wrasses swimming all about!

Hence I've analysed and believe that for my system, the best fish to display with interesting personalities would be wrasses. Please share with me your favorite wrasses as I share my current tank inhabitants! IMG_4364.thumb.JPG.50d908f85b84053cc0398622eb1e7bc92b83685c67873546bb427.jpg2767dc34bbdec8afcfc95d1a123fce38.jpg62084e518e270e65081377fac9c70579.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

6-line will make a protective bubble in the rock when they sleep.

i have a few wrasses too - 6line, yellow, fairy, vrolik and recent lost a carpenter flasher wrasse. cannot find him anywhere in the tank. 

it's difficult for me to introduce new wrasse now as the 6 line can get quite aggressive with new wrasse.

• SRC Member
6-line will make a protective bubble in the rock when they sleep.
i have a few wrasses too - 6line, yellow, fairy, vrolik and recent lost a carpenter flasher wrasse. cannot find him anywhere in the tank. 
it's difficult for me to introduce new wrasse now as the 6 line can get quite aggressive with new wrasse.

Totally understand what u mean. Haha. For me, I lost a Laboutei's fairy wrasse due to being chased by the Naoko. It's really hard to determine which wrasse will go well with another due to difference in temperament of individual fish.

• SRC Member

I have a question for everyone. Generally my parameters are ok. My nutrients are under control and my Ca Kh and Mg are stable. What is the reason my corals are healthy but not multiplying? Be it Zoas or Super sun or torches and hammers, there is almost no growth although they are opening nicely and vibrant in colors. Is there something missing that needs to be added to Ensure growth?

• SRC Member

a71843216c74a7db33a374bbffcb33b4.jpg Front View of my tank
1231094555c464311936f138832dc907.jpg Big Fish Small Fish
d0d0c64c2588ba5f9b9826dbf70e8aa2.jpg Debelius Fairy Wrasse
8acd003d3b3cc6eb5fdd1b3b52b52fc1.jpgLeopard Wrasse
e30329e0d7db2c3ae0bafd250fa4f928.jpgRosy Scaled Fairy Wrasse
f4de236c7d44680182f884c467855339.jpgInteresting composition of the Naoko with the hammer garden

• SRC Member

Thanks for the feedback bro. :) I realise there is one likely reason. My KH is actually lower than I had expected and that is likely the reason corals are not growing especially LPS. I know they like Low KH but a KH of 5.9 is really too Low and came as a shock to me. I'm bringing it back up by slowly increasing my dosing regime using an auto doser. Hope it will improve growth this time! In the meantime, here's some pics I took this weekend!
41368ab412e7b2a83f14a9d59337d2cb.jpg Carpenter's flasher wrasse and Bartlett's Anthias
7692a628b9e40c507feebab2d328f074.jpg Love the dynamism in this pic.
36ada3d5ac0f4c82a64cc2fea972e0eb.jpg love these supernovas!

7cd45e663292ca4c690fa960e2201894.jpgMy Rainbow infusion Zoas

cde379491e2acd6a8fda7549e5986887.jpgAre these called Sunkist Zoas?

• SRC Member

So today being the start of my vacation leave, I quickly enlisted the help of ever friendly and helpful reefer buddy @dpyz to bring me to Dama to buy acrylic, in order to start my project on relocation of my electrical wiring, for safety and neatness purpose. Previously my wires were all connected in the sump area, and my vortech Controllers were velcroed to my cabinet door on the inside. Unfortunately the glue gave way so I thought it best to relocate everything. Stay tuned for more updates as I develop ideas for this further. For now, here's part one where all the plugs that were inside my sump cabinet are all brought out and Organised on an acrylic board on top of my chiller cabinet.
e04888cc4e268640ce97a354ecbfb9d3.jpg

Tomorrow I will need to think about elevating the platform and then the wires can all go beneath the board instead. Good night!

• SRC Supporter

Yeah...not safe to just use double sided tap especially for things that get warm.  it makes it hard to remove for cleaning & maintenance too.

Ecotech has nice holders for the driver & also power supply brackets. Not expensive. Can contact Reef Depot or LFS to check.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member

for those who keep wrasse do you have a hood or netting for your tank? 

i don't have one as i think it is troublesome but i recently have 2 jumping incidents in 3 months...

• SRC Member
for those who keep wrasse do you have a hood or netting for your tank? 
i don't have one as i think it is troublesome but i recently have 2 jumping incidents in 3 months...

Sorry for your loss.. I'm in the midst of measuring and making one from an aluminium profile with netting to be safe. It really does make things more troublesome but I just lost a Laboutei Wrasse and that is a really expensive lesson to learn about the need to install a cover.