Miracle Mud

Miracle Mud supposedly took the reefing world by storm when it was introduced.

Reefers reported lowered nitrates and less nuisance algae, improved coral growth and even HLLE curing in fishes... and there are those who kicked themselves for spending a BOMB on dirt that is not even oceanic in nature... ie... taken from some location, maybe even somebody'd backyard!

So... whose is a Miracle Mud user here? We'll like to hear your experiences with it!

• SRC Member

Not much of experience here, but have been using it for only 2 months

Corals and fishes does look healthy.

Ive 5lbs of MM over 5" of DSB, and i dose Coral Vital LSB weekly

Have not done any water change for 2 months so far, not even dosing calcium/alk/iodide..etc and the parameters are at

alk 10dKh

Cal 550ppm

NO3 2ppm (seachem) but 12.5ppm on tetratest

• SRC Member

550ppm Ca and 10DKH without dosing seems impossible! It is a miracle! I'll go dig around my garden.

:D

:P

B)

BTW, what's your pH?

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

550ppm calcium??

Isn't that the point where precipitation occurs?? You should be experiencing 'snow' at this levels!!!

10 dKH?! Without a kalk reactor or dosing?

First time I heard of MM creating high calcium levels!! Your PH must be like 6!

:blink:

• SRC Member

Nah, dont think MM contributes to the constantly high calcium reading.

Anyway, i just tested the water again with both Sera & salifert testkit

both showing reading of around 550+ppm

Alk still at 10dKH

Ph at 8 (macroalgae at 24/7 photoperiod)

Most of the corals r looking great

Clam is fully expanded, and Xenia is still pulsing away(for day and night)

Tanzy: Sure, dig soil & patent it :)

I am using 10lb of MM (~2mths) and recently been dosing a bit of Coral Vital LSB. And yes, my calcium is around 550ppm as well (using JBL testkit)?? It has been like that for at least 3 weeks (and i doubt it as well so i have tested it at least ~5-6 times and the reading is pretty consistant). Maybe it is not MM but the Coral Vital LSB?? Btw, i am trying to hit pH of 8.3 but it always go back to ~8.1 after dosing for 1-2days. What can i do to hit 8.3?

MM is supposed to be a filtration thing... not a calcium supplement!

Do you guys feel that your nitrates are under control with good macroalgae growth with MM in your tanks?

I heard with MM you don't have to dose iron in your water as MM contains it already.

Or would normal sand DSB suffice as efficiently? Anyone tried both and noticed a difference?

• SRC Member
Nah, dont think MM contributes to the constantly high calcium reading.

Anyway, i just tested the water again with both Sera & salifert testkit

both showing reading of around 550+ppm

Alk still at 10dKH

Ph at 8 (macroalgae at 24/7 photoperiod)

Most of the corals r looking great

Clam is fully expanded, and Xenia is still pulsing away(for day and night)

Tanzy: Sure, dig soil & patent it :)

Where'd you get the Salifert test kit?

• SRC Member

chanbi: Could be! CaribSea is using that to cultivate their livesand.

and Marc Weiss claims that ...

"Conservatively stocked aquaria may not even need supplementation of calcium, magnesium, strontium, iodine, boron etc. at all! Higher density tanks may get by with small water changes! "

My Ph has been at 8 (AquMedi), i wouldnt be borthered as long as my xenia r pulsing.

Im getting conflicting N03 reading from various different testkit, but anyway they show up reading on the low side, cant really give full credit to the MM, as ive DSB too.

hongqixian: U can get them from MarineLife at HongLeong

• SRC Member

I can no longer dig garden dirt and patent it, someone by the name of Leng Sy did that before me and called it Miracle Mud.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif