Anthias

mv3i

• SRC Member

Hi guys .....

juz lost one of my anthias today as it jump out of the tank ... dunno how it manage to do that as i had some acrylic cover on the top ( could have left a gap after feeding ) but would like to highlight this to all the pple here ( remember to secure the cover)...... :angry: It had been with me for about 4-5 months and now left with 2 from the group ..... :(

btw can i add another one to replace or do they still need to introduce in a group ???

post-8-1044886200.jpg

• SRC Member
Hi guys .....

juz lost one of my anthias today as it jump out of the tank ... dunno how it manage to do that as i had some acrylic cover on the top ( could have left a gap after feeding ) but would like to highlight this to all the pple here ( remember to secure the cover)...... :angry: It had been with me for about 4-5 months and now left with 2 from the group ..... :(

btw can i add another one to replace or do they still need to introduce in a group ???

They will supposedly pine away when alone- keep in groups.

• SRC Member

since we r in the topic of Anthias...can i ask some stoopid questions? :sick:

is Anthias hardy?does Anthias eat dry food?

seen alot of Anthias in this forum...got myself very interested in getting some...but having some reservations becos of my stoopid territorial damsel fish :nuke:

:look:

• SRC Member
does Anthias eat dry food?

The species u see in the 1st pic posted by mv3i does eat dry food... or at least they do in my tank :rolleyes:

The Lyretail Anthias posted by eprouve do not eat dry food... i think they prefer live food, not even frozen Brine Shrimp... mine slowly 'pined away' :(

• SRC Member

Anthias are very beautiful and most species are not difficult to keep except purple Queen. As long as they start eating, there should not be any problem. However, you need to keep them as a school, at least three. Try the dispar, tri-colour...they are the easiest. My biggest tri-colour though is a bully, even chase my two bigger "cadbury" anthias. I don't think damsels will chase them cause they are bigger and swim fast.

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member

read up from live aquaria abt anthias...

these guys are semi-agressive....

quoted from liveaquaria.com "The diet is consistent with other members of the Anthias group - zooplankton and floating filamentous algae. In the aquarium, it should be fed a varied diet of mysid shrimp, vitamin-enriched brine shrimp, frozen preparations and other meaty items for zooplankton feeders, small quantities of food several times per day"

i dont see no flake foods :erm:

• SRC Member

hi guys ,

my anthias have taken to MS an dried pellets ... and it's so sad that they " jump ship " :(

anyway .... they were happy as a group of 3 but somehow one decided otherwise ..... can i add another one to the group and hope they will "blend" in ???? :yeah::yeah:

or do I have to get more ??? anyone can enlighten me ?? :angel:

BTW , anyone saw anthias at the farm or any LFS ?? :look:

Anthias are smaller version of the grouper species. They need super water condition n schooling anthias of minimum three or more to thrive in a none aggresive tank condition.

If they jumped out of your tank it could be due to agression or bullying by other tank mates. Hope this inform is useful

• SRC Member

:(:(:(

oh well...guess i have to forget abt Anthias at the moment :cry2: ...it's a beautiful fish indeed...i thk i have to patiently wait for the expiry date of my damned damsel to arrive b4 adding those fishes tat i like ;)

thank you guys for all your comments :eyebrow:

• SRC Member

Yah I think so, at least for mine. Oh and when u r buying yr anthias, got to buy from the same tank one.. I bought some from reborn from different tanks, come home, they fight like siao... The mouth interlock leh... oH maybe they celebrate V day in advance... French Kiss... :upsidedown:

The dominant one will become male, the rest will stay female.

In large schools, there will be a supermale and several males.

If an anthia changes to male, they cannot change back to female, and if there are more than two in reef tanks, the dominant one will harass the other male even to the point of death.