Overpowered skimmer

charlie

Hi,

Why is it that when I overpowered my skimmer max. I can't control the input water level? the foam can be seen at abt 1" of the collection cup. I am quite worried, that the bubbles foam may overflow the collection cup. Any advise? Thanks

i face the same prob too ... always afraid that the shimmer collection cup might overflow... but it will go down in a while ...

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

Guys, how do you rectify this problem?? i am using an extrema pump rated up to 2189l/h for my weipro 2012..it was working fine tuned to the max level for a while. after messing about with a canister filter that has nothing to do with the skimmer...water bubbles started flowing into the cup..i minimized the pump rate to the minimum but still the water bubbles overflow after a while...i am not sure what to do now...help!

Actually when its oveflowing alittle its okay to let it run and see if it will settle down... Loonz, if the skimming level is about 1 inch into the cup, let it be, only problem is that u probably have very wet skimmate and also you need to empty the cup more often, but as long as its skimming, its alrite.... Doesn't mean u always have to skim the thick thick kopi-O....

Actually, as I'm replying to your post, I'm patiently waiting for my new skimmer to break in... haiz.... still no sign...:(

Vincent Ho

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

From what I notice, wheather the water will overflow into the collection cup or not depends on the level of the out flow from the skimmer into the tank and the height which the skimmer is placed.

If you hang the skimmer on the tank then can use a more powerful pump. But if skimmer outside the tank and place on the same level as the tank then will have to use a less powerful pump.

Reason being the outflow from the skimmer will have to travel all the way to the top of the tank before flowing out.

So if the pump is too powerful and the skimmer is set on the same level as the tank then before the outflow can reach the tank, the water will already start to overflow into the collection cup.

As for me... Mine is place on a box raising its height outside the tank. Water level is at the black rubber ring. Working out dandy... :D