How long can fishes go without food?

I was just wondering how long can we leave fishes without food. Assumption will be based on my current environment with

2.5ft by 1.5ft by 1.5ft tank

15KG LR

1 * Cleaner Shrimp

2 * Fire Shrimps

2 * ###### Shrimps

1 * Boxer Shrimp

1 * 2 Spotted Goby

1 * Scooter blenny

1 * Purple Fire Goby

2 * True Perc Clown fish

Of course there is not definite right or wrong answers. I do not have auto feeder and water top up is generally done once in 2 days. Also my clowns have not been trained to eat pellet food.

Was just wondering what should be done if I need to go for a weekend get away.

Anyone can share their experience?

Wow 2 weeks! That was long. So am I overly concerned here? I am thinking like 2-3 days and was already damn worried. Wait come back all die on me.

I do not have auto water top up because I do not have a sump and there salinity was surely spike up due to evaporation. This is a major consideration for me as well.

If left alone for 2 weeks surely all LS will say sayo nara to me.

Also my clowns have not been trained to eat pellet food.

I think the key word is "train". My YT initially did not like pellets and it had a sunken body. Had to mix the pellets with brime and mash it up. Day and day put less brime and more pellets. Now it eats everything and anything.

When I am overseas I use an auto feeder and I now feed it once a day.

My two cents worth.

• SRC Member

I feed my fishes sometimes once in 3 days, sometimes once in 5 days and sometimes they even go without food for about a week...

And they are all still doing fine (shrimps, urchins, fishes and all). I've known of tanks which feed their fishes only once a week so I guess it's quite alright if you underfeed.

True problem occurs when you overfeed.. Like alot of new reef keepers..

My 2 cents worth

• SRC Member

i guess it also depends on how mature is your system and if your livestocks can find any natural food in your tank :rolleyes:

...what are u missing from your life?... dun wait till your last breathe before telling them that you care

Quite true. My tank is still rather new (coming 3 months) so still experiencing new tank sydrome and algae bloom.

It wont be another 3 months before I need to leave it for 2 days. By then my tank should be more stable and self sufficient in another way.

Any other precautions or advice can anyone give me?

Did try before for 1 week without feeding due to oversea trip. As for the salinity, top up water to 1.021 before I left. By the time I came back, it was around 1.026.

All LS reported during the first 'master parade' when I reach home. :D