nitare very high after cycled

my nitare is very high now after the tank have cycled.i know there will be nitare after cycled, but is 50ppm consider a norm? :blink:

the tank have been cycled for abt a month.

parameter of my tank:

ammonia=0ppm

nitrite=0ppm

nitrate=50ppm :cry:

• SRC Member

Unless you have means to export the nitrate, it will be the end product of nitrogen cycle, from ammonia to nitrite then nitrate. which fortunately not the toxic comparatively. Do you have live stock in your tank ?

water change after cycling is the usual advise, while working on long term way of getting rid of nitrate like DSB, refugium lots of rock etc.

Hope that help. IMHO.

• SRC Member

I think so, during the first few months of my tank , a fish dead and the nitrate shoot up to 50, so for a tank just finish cycling considering all the dead stuffs in the rock.. I think its pretty normal...

• SRC Member

High nitrate is very common for newly cycled tanks. its a product of the breakdown of ur ammonia to nitrite then to nitrate. As long as nitrite and ammonia is zero, you are ok. Jus do about 25-30% water change and see how the situation is. It should gradually decrease if you stock up the tank patiently. :)

Cheers!

• SRC Member

sorry :P is "in my main tank"

High chances the nitrate is coming from your LR, is the LR cured?.........do a 50% water change, suck out the small dead pieces of the LR on your sandbeds, run ur skimmer 24/7 and add some AZ-NO3. Thats my remedy.......works for me, might or might not works for you.