Reddish fuzzy growth on LR

• SRC Member
Just cycled tank and found afew tiny patches of these reddish fuzzy growth on LR. Looks like very fine hair. Any advice on what are they and should I worry? If so how to get rid of them?

Oh...oh.... :o....are they flimsy and stringy? If they are means that cyno bacteria , so you better check your phosphate levels and increase your water circulation. Get some Rowaphos or BioPhos to clear these pesky cyno..... <_<

• SRC Member

whatever it maybe...it's not good news...so go check your phosphate levels and water top up program. Never came across such an algae problem before.

by the time you figure out what algae it is...it might have spread over to your next LR in your tank. Reduce feeding intake and get some phosphate removers with some clean up crew.... ;)

• SRC Member

Right now still no light and no feeding. So trying to figure out what type of algae is it. Looks quite nice actually as long as it doesnt spread and cause major problem.

1 possibility I found is:

"Filamentous red algae can also be found in aquaria. They are often very abundant in natural systems as well. These range from low-growing red fuzzes to larger pink or red algal clumps. These are benign and attractive organisms and their presence generally also implies a good population of small crustaceans which often live on or around them."

So went out and got myself a Halloween Hermit Crab . Sooooo cute. :D

• SRC Member

Be careful....soon it will turn out this way....I thought it was nice also!!! Sigh! Now having problem fighting this!!! :angry::evil:

post-7-1081752301.jpg

• SRC Member
Tried looking for SLF yesterday. But cant find any. Seems like not many shops bring them in.

If it is cyno, you can siphon it out with a small hose, not difficult to do. If it is not, take the piece of LR out and brush it off and rinse it with aquarium water. Better do quick before it spread and make you you do you regulary water changes.