Advise on rodi water

Danieltwx

• SRC Member

Hi fellow reefers,

I’m using a second hand madpetz 5 stage RO-DI system. Pressure gauge is not working.

Tap water (75ppm) runs through stage 1 (rust & sediment filter) followed by stage 2 (granular activated carbon filter) then stage 3 (carbon block filter). Water ppm after 3 stage is (74ppm). After stage 4 (RO membrane), water (9ppm). Lastly after stage 5 (Resin) water (2ppm).

Have bought this from a fellow Reefer, didn’t change any filters so far as I was told that by changing the resin it would be able to maintain 0 ppm water.

Would require some advise if it is normal for water ppm after going through 3 stage filter to be only 1 ppm difference from tap water.

Any idea if the pressure gauge can be replaced?

Lastly, do u guys install a pump booster to rodi system? As I notice the water from the tap is quite strong, but as it comes out from the resin, the flow is really very slow compared to the tap. Staying in HDB .

• SRC Supporter

From what I see, your reading is pretty normal for water after membrane to be around 10 ppm. Changing the resin will drop it further .

Adding on the booster pump will definitely help on the water output. The pressure guage you can check with madpetz which I think he sell

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
Hi fellow reefers,

I’m using a second hand madpetz 5 stage RO-DI system. Pressure gauge is not working.

Tap water (75ppm) runs through stage 1 (rust & sediment filter) followed by stage 2 (granular activated carbon filter) then stage 3 (carbon block filter). Water ppm after 3 stage is (74ppm). After stage 4 (RO membrane), water (9ppm). Lastly after stage 5 (Resin) water (2ppm).

Have bought this from a fellow Reefer, didn’t change any filters so far as I was told that by changing the resin it would be able to maintain 0 ppm water.

Would require some advise if it is normal for water ppm after going through 3 stage filter to be only 1 ppm difference from tap water.

Any idea if the pressure gauge can be replaced?

Lastly, do u guys install a pump booster to rodi system? As I notice the water from the tap is quite strong, but as it comes out from the resin, the flow is really very slow compared to the tap. Staying in HDB .
Im also using the one bought from madpetz, without booster pump im getting around 5 gallons per 30 to 45mins. I adjust the flow of my tap so thst it wont leak due to the back pressure tho. Im new here too so... maybe im wrong.

• SRC Member

Oh ic! I think it’s alright bro! :) I just did a test. I’m getting 500ml of rodi water in 5mins. Wastage is around 1.2litres of water! Would need some advise, is it normally that slow for rodi water? Or do I have to get a pressure booster?

• SRC Supporter
Oh ic! I think it’s alright bro! I just did a test. I’m getting 500ml of rodi water in 5mins. Wastage is around 1.2litres of water! Would need some advise, is it normally that slow for rodi water? Or do I have to get a pressure booster?

Yes, it's normal .. the output is about 1:2 to 1:3 which mean one part of good water produces 2 to 3 part of waste water.

With a use of booster pump, some can be able to obtain 1:1 ratio. Thus saving some water and faster output flow.

• SRC Supporter
Ah i didnt know booster pump reduces wastage.[mention=14535]leong[/mention] u mean your unit doesnt produce waste water?

RO membrane works by passing some water though the membrane (becomes clean water). And leaving some that does NOT pass through the membrane as waste water that flushes out.

Having a booster pump will increase the amount of water passing through the membrane - hence improving good/waste water ratio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member

RO membrane works by passing some water though the membrane (becomes clean water). And leaving some that does NOT pass through the membrane as waste water that flushes out.

Having a booster pump will increase the amount of water passing through the membrane - hence improving good/waste water ratio.

Ah thanks for the info, i alwaya thought that increasing the pressure would increase flow and the waste at the same time but with the same ratio.

• SRC Member

Icic thanks man! Btw are u using a booster pump as well?

• SRC Supporter

Yes. I'm using a pump previously purchased from madeptz. A booster pump makes a huge difference.

I'm getting 1.2 parts clean water to 1 part waste water. 

See video below. Tube with green cable tie is clean water. The other tube is waste water.

Using 200gpd membrane & 300gpd flow restrictor.

Waste water is collected & re-used for laundry or mopping floor.

• SRC Supporter
16 minutes ago, Danieltwx said:

Wow! That’s good man, may I know how much did u purchase the pump?

Got mine about 3 years ago.

Best to just call them to check stock & current price.

• SRC Member
Yes. I'm using a pump previously purchased from madeptz. A booster pump makes a huge difference.

I'm getting 1.2 parts clean water to 1 part waste water. 
See video below. Tube with green cable tie is clean water. The other tube is waste water.
Using 200gpd membrane & 300gpd flow restrictor.
Waste water is collected & re-used for laundry or mopping floor.

[/url]  
Wah the ratio looks good with the pump!