New 5 Footer Reef Setup

Phang

• SRC Member

If you want calcium to be higher than the pH must come down to 8.3

Don't worry about trying to generate high pH for corals, they do it naturally with photosynthesis. The coral will use up the carbon dioxide in the micro-layer of water around the polyps and the pH will rise high enough for them to use the calcium.

If you can't get the calcium and alk balanced then perhaps you might be adding the additives too fast and is causing a local area of high pH that results in calcium and alk precipitation.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

Would it mean then that the first step to correcting everything is to gradually increase KH to the desirable level, once there, check Cal levels and make ammendments and everything should br fine????

Barracuda, like to share how magnesium helps in calcium retention???

BTW, got the 1 and 1/4 inch Gate Valve from Hai Cheong Plastics yesterday.... hahaha very funny, the lady spoke of how recently a number of guys have been going down to her to find equipment for fish tanks.....

Spoke of this tall guy with glasses wanting Schedule 80 stuff and racks made from pvc pipings welded to plates.......

GUESS WHO"S THAT????? :P

PS, might be DIYing the Calcium Reactor now... saw the parts... roughly for a 1 1/2 ft Reactor costing around $50....

Phang, i thought of setting up a 1.5' tank in my office but i intend to have a overhead sump/refugium (hide in the cabinet). So does Hai Cheong Plastics do specially make to order plastic sump (limited by space of 30cmx60cmx28cm). Else have to go with glass which is much heavier.

• SRC Member

I think Hai Cheong only deals with PVCs...

their clear PVCs not very clear leh...

Why not try Acrylics...???

AT did direct met to a Acrylic design shop previouisly, in fact, they are doing the body for my skimmer now.....

I think it's Yeo Soon Hin Plastic..

Blk 633 Veerasamy Road....

Can also try Sam's Fishy Business.... at Aljunied....

His workmanship pretty good ..... deals with glass though...

And if you are not so particular about looks, recommend buying those ready made acrylic tanks... come in a number of sizes and drill holes or like me burn holes :P .. attached a coupling and link it to your mains...

Wala...a modified sump/ refugium... that's cheap and good...

• SRC Member

Hi phang,

magnesium will coat the calcium surface of sand, rocks to prevent free calcium ions on coating it

if there is too much free calcium ions, it would want to combine with carbonate to form calcium carbonate which is not solutable, adding magnesium to around 1200mg/l would able the calcium to bond with the magnesium thus reducing free calcium ions

the acid released when aerobic bacteria breaks down ammonia and nitrite will break the bond between magnesium and calcium

if everything is in equilibrium, calcium and magnesium will bond and break at the same rate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

That's not Cynarina spp, looks like Scolymia spp. or something else.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Hi Guys,

Now as I'm awaiting the arrival and setup of my main 5 footer reef, was wondering of what kind of fishes to place in it....

As I intend to keep mostly SPS and LPS (80%) and Soft corals (20%)...... would like to get species that won't pester them from striving ....

Current fishes in my sump would be a Maroon Clown, Sailfin Blenny and Sailfin Tang.....

in the Reservoir is a Longfin (which I would very much like in my mains)....till I identify it as reef safe...

Was thinking of this combo....

1) pair of tomato clowns

2) either 1 purple tang or 1 powder blue..

3) either 1 chervon or 1 Achilles tang

4) 4-6 anthias...

5) Might place the Sailfin Tang from sump tank into mains....

6) 4 cleaner Shrimps

7) 2 Blood Shrimps

8) 1 filament flasher Wrasse

9) 1 fairy wrasse....

Any comments ????

BTW, how large do the Powder Blue and Achilles get??

• SRC Member

Hi Chanbi,

Thanks for the infor....

Might need more advice from you as I have never tried keeping these fishes before....

Only Tang that i kept are the regal and sailfin...

and do understand that those I mentioned that I'm interested in are the more difficult ones to keep...

Hope to have the most 2-3 tangs in my tank but do not want to make mistakes so got to learn from you more experience reefers....

Any others willing to give advice to someone who has limited experience with the more difficult to keep species???

Thanks.

My personnal experience (quite limited, i only have 5 Tangs) is that it is not that hard to keep Tang provided have the following:

1. The fish is not drug or injure through transportation (esp. the mouth).

2. That is why, it is important that the fish is not too skinny and is eating

at the LFS. When i said eating, must be really eating well. I have learnt

my lesson the hard way when the LFS tells me it is eating and when

feed with frozen bs, did show some interest but not really eating and i

folishly bought it home and soon it bid "bye bye'... (but of course there

is this question of how many LFS are willing of demonstrating whether

his fishes will eat?)

3. So when the fish do eat, by feeding it food with garlic for every meal for

the first 1-2 weeks, it will help to build up their resistant to fight iche

which is very likely to show up but will be under control (could be cos' i

do not do FW dip etc..).

4. And of course lastly, a least stressful environment as much as u can

provide. And it will be harder and harder as more tangs are added (they

will likely chase him for the first 1-2 days). But putting it in a quarantine

tank (those small one that can be hook up to the main tank) will help as

they get to see each other and hopefully can "made friend". And i

personnally will only do that for 1-2 days as i find that it is still a stressful

environment (the small quarantine tank w/o LR etc..) and the new fish

may not like it..

Hope the above can help u.. But i guess a lot still depend on luck (ie. whether u can find criteria #1).

Oh yes! one more thing on PBT. So far from those LFS that i have talked to, to choose a PBT, try not to get one that is very colourful (or the face very black). Chance is that it is under a lot of stress which cause it to bring out his colour. So i go for the pale looking PBT (but of course it must look alert) and seem like i do have some luck...