DSB and your marine tank!

Wei

• SRC Member

I remember that one,

The egg shells were not for seeding, they were used as substrate, reason caused the author tried to find an alternative cheaper means instead of buying aragonite sand. Egg shells ground/food processor gives a fine sand feeling- the idea is that the shell also contains calcium & will dissolve into the water over time.

i think he used over 900 eggs & took a couple of months to collect so many.

This one way out of my league for crazy ideas!. :idea:

Seeding is when u introduce a source of bacteria & micro organisms-worms-creepy crawlies.(fauna) usually obtained from an already established reef, In the US they can mail order these kits.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks guys, I'm going for Plenum for my next tank, my DSB of 4 ~ 5inch is giving me problem. I believe the local #1 coral chips is not 100% coral chips, it's a mixture of sand and it contain too much silicate, causing a algae boom in my tank! I'm bring in a branded sand from US next round, considering the daylight robbery price tag from AquaMart.

Regards,

Peter Peh

• SRC Member
Thanks guys, I'm going for Plenum for my next tank, my DSB of 4 ~ 5inch is giving me problem. I believe the local #1 coral chips is not 100% coral chips, it's a mixture of sand and it contain too much silicate, causing a algae boom in my tank! I'm bring in a branded sand from US next round, considering the daylight robbery price tag from AquaMart.

Regards,

Peter Peh

Interesting theory. The $15/kg(?) of Caribsea aragonite from Sealife is mad.